Mike Scott from Shanghai

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
happyprince

Post by happyprince »

Hi, everyone!
My name (English name of course) is Mike Scott, and I'm junior college student from Shanghai, China.
Nice meeting you all!
This above all: to thine own self be true.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

welcome mike! ... hope you enjoy LV ... check the Weekly Poetry section for a good place to start, and maybe the Listener's Wanted Section as well.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi Mike,

Great to see you here!

I've been hoping we could get some real Chinese people to do some Chinese-language readings, as there are quite a number of texts available.

Not to be pushy as soon as you arrive.... :D

David
happyprince

Post by happyprince »

Hi, Hugh and David!

It'd be great to join you in this wonderful world ;-) At the moment I'm still familiarizing with the technical things here, and will hopefully try to start recording soon (or maybe after the suffocating finals). It'd be marvellous to do Chinese readings as well as English ones. For the former, I'd be more than eager to help introduce to more people Chinese literature or culture in a form; for the latter, it would certainly be an excellent opportunity to work on my first foreign language which I always love so much :)

Mike
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey Mike,
I just wanted to say hi! LibriVox is really a wonderful little world. We have our ups and downs but we have a ton of fun too! So, make yourself at home, ask questions if you have any, and have a great time :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

happyprince wrote:I'd be more than eager to help introduce to more people Chinese literature or culture
Excellent! I've done the same, as far as my ability allows, with 'China and the Chinese':-

http://librivox.org/china-and-the-chinese-by-herbert-allen-giles/

Perhaps, if you would quality-control for me, I might try something short in Chinese. Now, that would be a challenge... but a worthwhile one!

我在大学的时候,专业是汉学。毕业以后,在中国住过几年(北京,东北,上海)。这几年来,一直住英国,用汉语的机会很少。真可惜。。。

David
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

The more I think about this, the more exciting it is.

How about 'Three Hundred Tang Poems'? This would be a real labour of love for me, but in bite-sized pieces. A fantastic learning project. Perhaps we could encourage some of our Chinese friends to contribute as well?

Anyway, just to see whether it would be possible, here is my very quick (single take) rendition of Li Bai's "Ye Si" (without the Librivox disclaimer etc., but just as a trial run):-

http://www.earthcallingdavid.com/librivox/yesi_libai.mp3

(Yes, I know, I deliberately picked an easy one!)

What do you think, Mike?

David
happyprince

Post by happyprince »

Hey David,

Your Ye Si is marvellous!!! :D And I love your idea about The 300 Tang Poems. We can definitely do it, and how do you think we can get more people to participate in the project?

Mike
kayray

Post by kayray »

That's lovely, David, though I have no idea what you're saying :) If you feel up to it, you can start a new project in Readers Wanted (or Short Works). Copy the format of other non-English projects. If there are really 300 poems in this work, I suggest you record them in volumes of, say, 20, as we do with Aesop's Fables. 300 tiny files are too much for even the most dedicated BC to manage ;-) (This work is in the public domain, right?)

Oh, and read this first:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToBecomeABookCoordinator

Then, once you've got your project posted, you'll have a link to give to other Chinese-speakers that you know and you can start recruiting more readers!

Have fun,
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Kara,

Many thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to jump in and BC this! Your idea of doing separate volumes is perfect, as the book is actually split into six volumes.

I'll set up the topic in 'Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)'

The text is definitely public domain, dating from the eighth century.

Mike,

Could you translate the LibriVox disclaimer into Chinese? This is the standard text that is read at the start of each recording:-

"This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

There's also a shorter version which might be better to use in this case:-

"Read for Librivox.org by [name]" (at the start of the poem) and
"End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." (at the end)

I've found this e-text version of '300 poems', which looks OK to me:- http://www.sinology.cn/Article/2004/Article_1812.html - Mike, does this look right to you? Or can you recommend another?

Alright, here we go!

David
happyprince

Post by happyprince »

David,

The e-version of the poems is great! As I usually use the paper form, I currently don't have another e-version to recommend. As for the translation of the disclaimer, I'll do it and will send you to check :D

Mike
happyprince

Post by happyprince »

David,

I just found there're some words missing in that e-version, for perhaps those words are unavailable in MS Word or other softwares. I suggest we look for another site. If things are the same, we'll have to make do with the e-version and maybe we'll read from paperwork instead.

Mike