O. . .M . . . G -- from a fellow bibliophile

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy »

:shock: This is sooo cool. I am a book lover from WAY back; I think I started my first novel at 9. Now, I teach English to 9th graders. I plan to work on a few short stories this summer and maybe even play some of them for my students next year.

Davey
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Welcome Davey! You'll find you're in good company here =) ... you might even consider having your students select and record some short stories ... or even a play... the possibilities are endless =)

Let us know if you have any questions =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

thistlechick wrote:Welcome Davey! ... You might even consider having your students select and record some short stories ... or even a play... the possibilities are endless =)
I second that idea, Betsie. Davey, I'm a teacher educator who teaches reading methodology, and one of the things I'm encouraging my teacher candidates to do is to incorporate students' recordings of classics into their teaching.

Of course, listening to audiobooks can really make reading come alive for high schoolers, too. I cannot wait for Annie Coleman's reading of Huck Finn (she's on chapter 33 of 43 ... tick, tick ... no pressure, Annie!) which will help young adult readers enjoy the dialects instead of slogging through them and so get to the heart of the story faster.

Let's stay in touch about these many possibilities.

-denny mike
Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy »

I've already mentioned it to some of my higher level students. My school issues laptops to students, and this would be a great way to get them to use it for something useful.

Thanks,
Davey
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

My school issues laptops to students, and this would be a great way to get them to use it for something useful.
LOL. ...if for nothing else. :lol:
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Welcome! Great to have you. :)

You might be interested in checking out the various short stories we have in our catalog already: http://www.librivox.org/completed-short-works . (In it you'll also find links to our short story 'collections'. Unfortunately, we don't have a searchable catalog yet - but one is being created, and who knows - might be complete by the end of the summer!)

Looking forward to hearing your voice!

-Catharine