Howdie Everyone! Big-time greetings and a question

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
MarkButler

Post by MarkButler »

I discovered LibriVox through an article in a travel magazine.. what an awesome site and concept!

I've been recording audio-books using my amateurish talents for a couple of years now.. though I like to add the sound effects to make them really come alive.. I just love doing it....

I will definately be doing some work here! In fact I've recently become interested in Tom Swift stories.. is anyone doing any of them? I can't find any mention of it in a search but I don't know if its just my lack of knowledge about the site.

Mark
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi mark, welcome!... what travel mag, out of curiosity?

re: tom swift, don't think we've done any, but could be wrong.
kri

Post by kri »

Welcome to LibriVox :) I'm sure you'll get addicted to recording right away, especially if you already know you enjoy it.

We have a searchable list in the catalog of everything we've completed: http://www.librivox.org/searchable-catalog Although, that doesn't include the individual poems and short stories we've done, but that can be found here: http://librivox.org/poetry-story-index/
MarkButler

Post by MarkButler »

Budget Travel, a couple of months ago (I am behind).. did a brief para on things to bring with you.
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

MarkButler wrote: I will definately be doing some work here! In fact I've recently become interested in Tom Swift stories.. is anyone doing any of them? I can't find any mention of it in a search but I don't know if its just my lack of knowledge about the site.

Mark
I'd never heard of Tom Swift but had a quick look on Gutenberg and found lots of them there http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/a#a267
They look to be quite lively action adventure/pulp fiction kinda stuff. Possibly quite similar to the Tintin adventures.
They look like they'd be fun to record.

Kind regards

Jim
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Welcome to Librivox! Glad you found us. :)

My husband and I are going to be driving up to Oregon from the San Francisco area later this summer, and are definitely planning on downloading a full book or two from here to help while away the hours. We've both recorded several pieces here - and since you've done some audiobook recording before, you know how much fun that can be! :D

Sound effects and music for Librivox recordings are generally not encouraged, since it's hard to prove their out-of-copyright status (especially for random noises you find on the web). I think, though, if you make the noises yourself and release them into the public domain, you might be okay. (I've gone against Librivox tradition and done two songs for recordings, both of which I'm totally okay with being in the public domain.)

Have fun!

-Catharine
MarkButler

Post by MarkButler »

Thanks for the welcome!

I've decided to make a "raw" version for Librivox, and then also post one with sound effects on my own website. That way Librivox doesn't have to worry about any copyrights.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Oh, I reeeeally like the idea of self-made sound effects. A little home studio foley action -- yes!

a.r.dobbs

Indeed! -- it's a whole new collectible/disperse-able ... public domain sound effects donated by LibriVoxans. <glee>
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Hi,
ow yay thanks for TomSwift. That looks definatly like something for me and my age. :D I hope i don't miss the claiming phase when you do it. Do you know a stronger *cough* work in the TomSwift Series?

Foley Action!
I though about that too, who hasn't. The problem with that, in my humble opinion, is that either you do ALL the sounds and ambient backgrounds or you better don't do it at all. You'd be engaged in a heavy home audio PRODUCTION with a lot, no, a very lot of recording and mixing. I think it would be awkward to have just one or too lonely sound effects in the middle of a book. What do you think?
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
MarkButler

Post by MarkButler »

I think the sound effects work in a general sense but you don't have to go overboard, such as people walking and things.. However, the strategic sound of glass breaking or a bullet or even some backgrund wind blowing can really enhance the experience..

I'm doing the first Shadow novel right now (can't submit it as its still copyrighted) but then on to Tom Swift!.. enough of the boring stuff for travellers, I'm planning to have fun!
kayray

Post by kayray »

MarkButler wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

I've decided to make a "raw" version for Librivox, and then also post one with sound effects on my own website. That way Librivox doesn't have to worry about any copyrights.
That's a great idea! On the catalog page for your finished book, we can even say something like, "if you'd like to hear a version with sound effects added, please visit blahblah.com" or something. Have fun!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kri

Post by kri »

MarkButler wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

I like that idea, because I think I prefer the raw versions. That way you can give people a choice depending on their preference. Then they don't have to avoid what would otherwise be a great recording if they hated the sound effects.