tina from Kent

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
tina

Post by tina » May 6th, 2006, 6:32 am

Hi, I'm tina, and I'm an American ex-pat living in the UK. I'm a huge fan of audiobooks, and somehow have completely internalized the concept of having a story read to me at bedtime. Can't get to sleep at night without my mp3 player and an audiobook. :lol: I know that makes it sound like they bore me but they really don't... I listen to them during the day too!

I've downloaded several books since discovering this site, but my favorite has to be Northanger Abbey. I already had three of Jane Austen's books, so now I'll just have to wait for someone to record Persuasion and Mansfield Park and I'll have the full set. :D

I enjoy reading aloud, but I don't know much about the technology. I'd like to give it a go however.

What a great site! Thank you to everyone who makes it possible.

Cheers,
tina

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » May 6th, 2006, 7:59 am

Hi Tina, how nice to meet you :)

I, too, am addicted to listening to audiobooks to help me sleep, and also in the daytime to entertain me.

Glad you enjoyed Northanger Abbey. Lots of fantastic readers in that one! Have you heard our TWO versions of Pride and Prejudice? We've got a solo done by the great Annie, and a collaborative version too! Even if you've heard it before (I own Flo Gibson's recording) you'd probably enjoy hearing a different recording as well. I know I do. We've got a wonderful solo version of Emma coming up, too. Just wait til you hear Sherry's reading; she's perfect. I think we might have other soloists doing more Jane... you can check the "solos" section and, if you find Persuasion or Mansfield Park there, give the readers some encouragement. And we'll definitely be doing all those books as collaborative projects too, eventually.

And we'd love to have you help us out. A good place for a beginner to start is with the Weekly Poetry project, one of the Fables, or something else short and sweet. With a short project you can fine-tune your recording set-up and get some fast feedback from listeners.

This might be of interest to you:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

And we have other jobs you can do if you're not up to recording quite yet. See our "Listeners Wanted" section to help proof-listen our books before they go public. It's an easy job -- no need to follow along with text, just listen for obvious errors such as repeated sentences. There's a FAQ in that section to help you get started.

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you, heheh. Just yell if you have questions and make yourself at home here :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

vee

Post by vee » May 8th, 2006, 8:09 am

Glad you liked the work our volunteers have done. If you're ready to lend your voice then there is plenty of interesting material to start with. Kara gave you basically everything we have to get you started, but if you have more questions, let us know

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein

ceastman

Post by ceastman » May 8th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Hi Tina! Looking forward to hearing your voice. :)

-Catharine

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » May 8th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Hi Tina,

Kent, eh? A fine part of the country.

And welcome!

David