Thanks for the poetry...

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
banlon1964

Post by banlon1964 »

Hello Librivox Community Members,

Mine is a sad but common tale of the poetry-impaired : I read poetry in school but never really enjoyed it. This was no fault of my teachers ; I guess I had to wait until the ripe age of 41 to have enough experience to appreciate poetry. The recordings I've listened to have helped me to discover the joys of verse - thank you all. Are there any other late-comers to poetry out there ?

For information, I was born in the US but now live in France. I admire the non-native speakers who are giving the readings a try - good for you !

Thanks again to all the wonderful readers and administrators - hope to participate as much as possible.

Michael (banlon1964)
kri

Post by kri »

I'm glad you have found LibriVox Michael :) Did you by any chance hear Chip's reading of The Highwayman? That's one of my favorites. I must say that I'm not so overly fond of poetry, but I do like a select few. I'm glad you have enjoyed our recordings :)

If you ever have some listening time, perhaps you could help us out over at Listeners Wanted? We proof-listen to our recordings before they go out to check for errors. Since most of the time there aren't many errors at all, you get to listen to a recording and help us out!
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi Michael! Welcome to Librivox.

I found it hard to get into poetry when I was younger too, though I'll never forget 10th grade English class, in which we all memorized poetry for recitation on a pretty regular basis. (Hearing 20 mostly rather dull renditions of 'Nothing Gold Can Stay' didn't exactly increase my enthusiasm for the genre.)

But doing Weekly Poetry here a few times increased my interest in it - and I've been recording poetry fairly solidly for the last month or so. It's amazing how the stuff grows on you. :)

Glad to have you!

-Catharine
vee

Post by vee »

Great to have you here Michael. Glad you found something you liked here. While it is bewildering with the size of the forum, it does give us lots of choices in material.

Thanks for joining up

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein