Namaste from India

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
shweta1605

Post by shweta1605 »

Namaste & Hi!

I have just signed up. I read about the Gutenberg project in our national daily almost 10 mnths ago, was very excited about the idea. But did not have net access then, so had to wait till now. Really excited about recording some thing. But plenty nervous about the whole thing. So would welcome some tips. Think i will start by proof listening till i gather my courage.

Shweta...
:)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi there Shweta, and welcome!

As a relative newcomer myself, I can safely say there's nothing to be nervous about. Everyone is very welcoming, supportive, encouraging and friendly.

Starting with proof-listening is a good idea, and is a very valuable contribution. When you're ready to try recording, there are always collaborative projects of short pieces, poetry or prose, where you could try your hand without worrying too much about getting it right first time. (I mean, even if you did need to re-record because of a technical reason, you wouldn't have invested hours of recording time).

David
kri

Post by kri »

Welcome to LibriVox Shweta :) Proof-listening is definitely a great place to start, and really helps us a lot. I'm going to give you a link to our Wiki below as well, because that's a great place to gather some more information about how things work here. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LibriVoxWiki
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Welcome indeed! Proof-listening is a lovely thing for you to do. :)

Once you've got up your courage, my advice would be to start with something short to get used to the whole recording process - I found it took some time to get used to the quirks of the editing software. Plus, hearing my own voice was weird at first. But you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Weekly Poetry and Aesop's Fables are great places to start, once you're ready.

Have fun!

-Catharine
vee

Post by vee »

Proof listening is definitely a great way to get started! Don't be afraid of recording though. It really is just a matter of practice. If you get a chance, check out the wiki (librivox.org/wiki) It has a lot of helpful hints to get you started.

Welcome aboard!

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein