Eileen or "e" of The Public Domain Podcast

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
e

Post by e »

I love reading, always have. I was the kid who got the maximum number of books from the library, read them all before they were due, and bugged my mom to take me back so I could get more. I read the "Lord of the Rings" books at age eight, at which time I also wrote my first short story which was suspiciously like "Alice in Wonderland".

Fast forward in life and you'll find me receiving a small writing scholarship and eventually obtaining a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English.

If you looked at another area of my life you'd also see that I gained some experience in the performing arts and how I became involved with new technologies and the internet.

Fast forward again and these aspects of my life collided to spur me to launch The Public Domain Podcast. A podcast in which I read, in their entirety, works I choose from the public domain. I originally envisioned it to be a group effort, with readers submitting their own recordings of public domain works so that I might have a break every now and then.

I naively thought at the time that such a project had not been launched. I found Librivox when the owner of another literary website, Ron, of Mister Ron's Basement, emailed me upon finding my podcast. He told me how Hugh had launched his website only a few weeks before mine and that Hugh was interested in starting a community of public domain audiobook readers.

So I checked out LibriVox and saw that Hugh's site was infinitely more organized for a group project than my own humble abode on the web and decided to join him in his efforts as a volunteer reader while still carrying on with my own weekly readings.

And so here I am.

As for the rest... I live in California and call myself an internet entrepreneur running stores based off of my graphic design talents. I'm an active rockclimber and was also a competitive fencer and I love that reading for my podcast and for LibriVox means that I *make* time to discover and share literature with others.
Last edited by e on December 28th, 2005, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ eileen
[url=http://publicdomainpodcast.blogspot.com]The Public Domain Podcast[/url]
kayray

Post by kayray »

I love reading, always have. I was the kid who got the maximum number of books from the library, read them all before they were due, and bugged my mom to take me back so I could get more.
Heheh that sounds like my family... We used to take those big apple-boxes to the library and fill them every week, and that was before computers and scanners, when you had to fill in those little slips of paper with author, title, and call number for every single book!

Welcome, Eileen :)

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
e

Post by e »

Hehe, they didn't have computers at the front desk where I was at either, we didn't have to fill out slips of paper though, there was a card system where they would stamp the due date on it.

Thanks for the welcome :)
~ eileen
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

oh for those who have not checked yet, esp our Journey to the Interior of the Earth readers, e has a superb rendition of Jules Verne's "The Master of the World" -- comlpeted, I belive -- part 1 found here:

PDP#6 The Master of the World
e

Post by e »

Thanks for the plug Hugh, and yes, it is indeed completed :)
~ eileen