Greetings! I'm Heather

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Heather Layne

Post by Heather Layne » March 5th, 2006, 1:45 am

I really have nothing to say, just that I might be interested in reading some poems and/or chapters. Eventually I might do a whole book if I find one in the public domain that I like enough. I'll hop around on the forums a bit tonight and see what's out there that needs readers.

My name is Heather. I'm a 20-year-old college student majoring in English writing. I love reading historical fiction and fantasy, as well as more contemporary stuff. I've been reading since I was about 4 and writing as long; I can't stop and I don't want to do anything else! I also knit and have both a LiveJournal and GreatestJournal which I am on probably more than is healthy.

So... hi!
-Heather Layne

She of The 'Eh' List--I'm indifferent about you until you give me a reason to think otherwise, whether good or bad.

Have a lovely day!

raynr

Post by raynr » March 5th, 2006, 4:00 am

Hello Heather,

welcome to LibriVox, nice to have you here. I'm sure you will find a book in the public domain that you like. Just take a look at the quantity of books in the Gutenberg project ( www.gutenberg.org ), this are all books in the public domain.
But the best is to read a small poem or a small work like one of Aesop's fables first, to get used to the recording. And the book coordinators are always happy if you read single chapters.
Have fun here and if you have any questions, just ask.

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)

Gesine

Post by Gesine » March 5th, 2006, 5:27 am

Welcome, Heather! Threads on knitting and writing in the "Off Topic" forum - there are quite a lot of us doing both! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

kri

Post by kri » March 5th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Have you mentioned Librivox to your English teachers? I bet that's something they'd really be interested in. I was tempted to e-mail the professor I had for English 100, but I hadn't had the class with her for a while so it seemed kinda wierd.

ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc » March 5th, 2006, 11:07 pm

kri wrote:I was tempted to e-mail the professor I had for English 100, but I hadn't had the class with her for a while so it seemed kinda wierd.
PLEASE email her, kri. There is nothing which more warms the heart of a teacher than the recognition that down the road some student actually remembers them - that they made an impression on that one mind.

You would absolutely make her day.
-Chip
[url]http://ChipDoc.com/LibriVox/[/url]
[i]The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.[/i]
~Mark Twain

kri

Post by kri » March 6th, 2006, 8:04 am

OK fine Chip :P I think I'm going to e-mail one of my favorite high school teachers too. She's an English teacher, and enjoys literature if course. I think she'll enjoy it. I don't know if she has a home computer or not, but wouldn't that be amazing if I could get her to participate? She's a GREAT story teller, and I think she would be an asset to our community.

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » March 6th, 2006, 9:20 am

welcome!

heatherausten

Post by heatherausten » March 6th, 2006, 10:55 pm

Hiya Heather! My name's Heather, also, and it sounds like we have a lot in common-- my degree was in English writing, too (technical writing, to be specific).

Anyway, thought I'd say hi and add my welcome to LibriVox!
~Heather~