Another newbie through the BBC

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

I was driving home last night with the radio on (BBC Radio 4, In Touch), and this sounded like it was for me. So here I am.

I'm a part-time ESOL teacher and part-time technical writer, living on the Wales/England border between Chester and Shrewsbury.

Greetings to all.

Graham
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Hello, Graham,
and welcome to LibriVox. It's fun; initially a bit strange to know that the voice which comes out of *your* head is going to be heard around the world ... but it's just like reading to a friend or to children. Find something you enjoy reading ... initially a very short piece is probably best, to give you a feeling of how to produce these recordings ... then Go!

Thanks for the pointer to the BBC; I usually jump directly to the forums, and hadn't noticed the link to the In Touch programme.

Peter
gToon

Post by gToon »

Welcome, Graham. I've been here at the site for several months now and have been very impressed with all the help I've gotten here. You might consider starting out with a small project and then work your way up. A site that contains thousands of public domain books (complete texts) is:

http://www.gutenberg.org

I've enjoyed just browsing through the list of authors and titles. You might find something there that you'd like to read aloud.

Searching throught the forums and faqs will help you figure out what we are up to as well.

Good luck!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Nice to have you here, Graham. Welcome and Enjoy!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

Hi Graham/Plum Hill!

What are you going to read first, do you think?

You're going to do a great job with us!

Well done about the teaching too.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, Graham! I'm actually familiar with the InTouch programming; we ran it on the Radio Reading Service for the Blind and Print Handicapped where I worked for several years here in Tampa. They do very good work and it's nice to hear that they're still at it.

Take gToon's advice and pick something brief to start off with. It's easier to get used to the mechanics of recording for LibriVox that way. There are several good projects going in the Readers Wanted: Short Works section.

It's great to have you aboard, Graham; it's always good to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

welcome!
Plum Hill

Post by Plum Hill »

You're all very kind - thank you for these messages.

I just did it! I posted a reading of Sonnet 130.

Isn't this great?

G
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

will you be reading some housman for us??