G'day there everyone!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
hongawa

Post by hongawa »

Dear Librivoxers,

how's it going?

I discovered your site on Friday, and I reckon it's a brilliant idea!
I'm amazed there are so many people out there who treasure the idea of free audio-based literature like I do.

Bit disappointed to see a lack of any Australian literature in the 'completed books' section, but that's to be expected - we're a small country after all, especially in the literature stakes. But you guys don't know what you're missing out on - we have some great yarns down here too!

Problem is, for most people around the world, anyone can get their hands on a copy of Alice in Wonderland or The Cherry Orchard, but it's much, much rarer to chance upon an Australian book in European bookshops. You guys are really at a disadvantage up in the Northern Hemisphere, in that you're so swamped by mainstream lit that many people have trouble getting exposure to works on the periphery.

Well, I had an hour free at work on Friday to make an MP3 of Henry Lawson's "The loaded dog", a pretty famous bush story back home. The reading sounds clear enough to me (Americans, don't worry - there's nothing wrong with your sound card, that's just an Australian accent) :wink:

I've checked that the piece is Pub. Dom, and I've added the standard Librivox disclaimer, and normalized it to 89dB (it doesn't clip on Winamp), so how do I upload it to your site? Can someone drop me a line? :?:

Anyway, looking forward to working with everyone out there - Librivox seems to be growing really fast, and it's a good sign for the future in this dog-eat-dog world of intellectual property...

I don't mind contributing to stuff - speak French (almost fluently, but have accent) and Japanese (still learning this one), plus majored BA in Latin... use me!

Take it easy, read on, one and all!!

Hongawa
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Welcome Hongawa!

Looks like you've made a great start... I think your story would be an excellent addition to our current Short Story Collection. More details found here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1442

You can email your file to me via the YouSendItService.com service (to betsie@betsie.info)

Looks like The Loaded Dog is included in this Project Gutenberg collection: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1036 and there are several other collections of this author's work there as well...

We'll look forward to more Australian (or any other) works from you =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

oooh. I think that's the best intro I've seen yet.

1. I like your project.
2. I read the FAQ, and got the legal + tech stuff figured out
3. I've recorded to spec
4. how do I upload?

no mussin about, very very! efficient ... welcome aboard. we do have some other aussies around, though I believe this is the first bit of australian lit we have done...
hongawa

Post by hongawa »

G'day Hugh

well, I've got the MP3 ready to upload already, so that might be some sort of record!

It would be good to harvest the talent of other Australians out there so that we could team up and tackle some more ambitious project - I've put the cheezy "G'day" tag in the header line, so that should be enough to bring them flocking, eh? :wink:

Anyway, any others you see floating around, send them my way!

cheers,

Hongawa
hongawa

Post by hongawa »

Hi Betsie,

I've tried sending my file (a 16Mb zip) through Yousendit, my browser keeps timing out... any hints?

Could be my end, I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm not too up with file transfers and stuff, and I fear it's too big to attach as an email, so I hope it works tomorrow.

Checked out your blogpage - good luck with the knitting :)

I was surprised with your comment about podcasts... I'd imagine you'd be full-bottle on them, but here's a quick run-down:
Podcast feeds are really fantastic technology, but not so helpful for Audiobooks.

Basically, they are good because they automate the download of MP3 files - say you have a back-yard radio station recording a weekly segment like you do yourself, but your listeners can't be bothered heading to your page to click on the link each week... well, if the page arranges the MP3s into a RSS file, a podcast aggregator programme like DOPPLER can do it all automatically, every week.

I download about 1Gb of podcasts every day (all Japanese radio), the equivalent of about 300 links to various web pages... imagine doing that manually! I also downloaded the entire Librivox catalogue with a single click in 15 minutes, using the aggregator programme. So... basically, there's nothing so great about Podcasts, except that it's a way of looking at MP3 as an automated media distribution 'package'. Librivox doesn't really aim to do this, however.

If you know all this already, sorry for the repetition.

Have a great day,

James.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

YouSendIt does sometimes get stopped up... it's probably a problem with them... so, yep, just try again tomorrow... if you're still having trouble with it, we'll figure out something else for you... Kri, is usually pretty good at helping out with these file transfer conundrums... so, we'll get her in on it if need be =)

Thanks for the update on podcasting... I think I figured out why podcasting isn't very important to me... my husband and I just got back from a trip to Chicago... we spent a lot of time watching people and were amazed to find a huge majority of them "plugged in" ... it makes perfect sense for so many people who spend so much time walking or riding trains or buses to be listening to portable audio players ... we wouldn't dream of even owning such a device because we have a short car trip to work and all other times we are sitting in front of computers where we have free-choice for listening... anytime we want to hear something in particular, it's already at our fingertips.

so, maybe someday if our life changes (hopefully where we move out of town and have a 30 minute drive to work!) we'll enjoy the benefit of podcasting.
~ Betsie
hongawa

Post by hongawa »

Yeah, I can understand how the whole podcast thing might pass you by.
I'm not big on technology myself (I don't even have a mobile phone), but because I won't have any internet connection when I return home to Australia, I'm making the most of the one I have now to download radio and audiobooks that I can't access at home.

I don't have an Ipod either, but I DID buy a second hand CD player last week and spent three hours crawling around in floorpan fitting it under my dashboard! ;-)

Still, what's a young man without a neat car?
(even a 1980s Japanese sedan!)

Thanks for the info,

James.

PS - what time is it in Michigan at the moment? Aren't you sleeping??
kri

Post by kri »

OK OK, I get the hint :)

Hongawa, are you familiar with FTP? If so, you're welcome to use some of my server space. Just PM me or e-mail me and I'll respond with the login information.

By the way, welcome to Librivox!

You know I've really enjoyed podcasts lately, yet I don't have an MP3 player. I've been listening to some knitting podcasts (especially Cast-On). It's a great thing to knit to and relax.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

hongawa wrote:
PS - what time is it in Michigan at the moment? Aren't you sleeping??
hehe... it was only 12:45am when I posted that message... it's hard sometimes to tear myself away from Librivox =)
~ Betsie
hongawa

Post by hongawa »

Hi Thistlechick :)

Well, I've never used FTP, but it's nothing that I couldn't figure out in 30mins or so, I guess.

If you send your details to

HONGAWA.ALT@gmail.com

I'll try my best!
Yousendit seems to have timed-out again, it always returns a "zero-sized error" message.

Thanks for the help,

James.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

YEA! I've received your file... sounds great! Please take a moment to run over to this thread: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1442 and post a short note with your name and url as you'd like them to appear on the catalog page =)
~ Betsie
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

Hello, very nice to meet you.

There is lots of Australian history on Gutenberg.

eg. the story of Sturt, and also the diary of Burke and Wills.

Paul Strezlecki is there too.