Hello, hello, oh my hello!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
dbaker

Post by dbaker » February 24th, 2006, 10:35 am

Hello everyone.

I've just got here, downloaded Audacity, and registered. I never heard the NPR spot it appears brought a good bit of folks here. I originally heard of Librivox from a comment left on http://blog.urbanartadventures.com/index.html . I kept telling myself I should look into recording for Librivox, but I didn't have a mic, and then, I've never read for anyone. Insert any other excuse here.

Anyway, my name is David, and I'm from Austin, Texas. I write quite a bit on my own, and edit for others. My day job is rather boring and non-glamorous, so I'll skip it for now.

Nice to meet y'all.

Oh, one more thing... Where do I start?

-D
Last edited by dbaker on February 24th, 2006, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

vee

Post by vee » February 24th, 2006, 10:38 am

Great to have you here David. It seems like you're ready to get started, so jump on in. There is a mile of books to choose from.

Questions? We probably have answers, so feel free to ask. Glad to have you aboard.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » February 24th, 2006, 10:48 am

welcome david!
Last edited by hugh on February 24th, 2006, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gesine

Post by Gesine » February 24th, 2006, 10:52 am

Or, if you want to try recording (since you already downloaded Audacity), this "Newbie guide to recording" might be of some help: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

dbaker

Post by dbaker » February 24th, 2006, 11:12 am

Gesine wrote:Or, if you want to try recording (since you already downloaded Audacity), this "Newbie guide to recording" might be of some help: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
Thank you so much. I'm going to go see if I can snag a poem right now. :)

-D

temac

Post by temac » February 24th, 2006, 11:16 am

Another Austinite! Welcome, David! Grab a poem (or whatever) and start recording. If you find you like reading aloud on the Internet, there are several venues here in town where you can volunteer to do it in real life, too.

Concerning the microphone "excuse"... I've had an opportunity to record using some pretty fancy equipment, and I can't tell much difference in playback between that and the no-name, $15 headset mike I use at home. (Of course with my voice that may not be saying much, LOL!) So whatever you have is bound to be OK. :)

Ted

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » February 24th, 2006, 11:37 am

Great to have you joining us, David - I look forward to hearing you around the place!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

dbaker

Post by dbaker » February 25th, 2006, 11:13 am

temac wrote:Another Austinite! Welcome, David! Grab a poem (or whatever) and start recording. If you find you like reading aloud on the Internet, there are several venues here in town where you can volunteer to do it in real life, too.

Oh wow! :D I don't know if I'm ready for that. I write fiction, not poetry, but if I can read others works.. that might be an easier thing to start with.