Greetings from Finland, Northern Europe

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
dcclxxvii

Post by dcclxxvii »

Hello all,

I just registered here and thought to say *hi*.

I'll just shortly introduce myself:

I am 27-years old Finnish male, interested in voice acting and related matters. In addition to that, I am interested in reading (I guess that didn't come as a surprise), philosophy, Truth, Wisdom, Nature, computers, games, photography, viewing art, creating art with pc (like image editing and fractals), music (my favorite genres are classical and pop, I guess, I can listen to most types of music, yet I don't like rap, hip hop or over heavy at all) etc.

I am glad to have found this precious place; I stumbled accidentally upon a link and a short article in one Finnish blog and this sounded very interesting. Actually, I *was* looking for this kind of sites before yet didn't find any. I have always been interested in voices and sounds.

I appreciate the fact that the rules here are not too strict when it comes to different dialects etc. of foreign (to those who have English as a mother tongue/first language) people. I am, myself, trying to learn English constantly more and more and better my skills in it. I might be interested in trying to read something in English, but I first have to find a better mic and some kind of audio interface between the mic and my pc. I know, even with this most simple mic I have now, I can produce clear enough recordings so one can hear what I'm saying, yet I want to make them better if it is possible. Only then will I try to publish recordings in a place like this. I use Audacity recording software, too, and am just now finding how to filter off that somewhat annoying "sound garbage" or humm etc., which there is alot because of my simple mic and the connection to the pc.

My sincere thanks to everyone who have made this possible, who support this project and contribute to it.

Kindly,

Jani
Truth will set you free - religions don't.

http://www.figu.org/ A great and informative site.
kri

Post by kri »

Welcome Jani :) Did you see that we have completed one Finish book? ( http://librivox.org/helsinkiin-by-juhani-aho/ )

If you'd like to help volunteer for LibriVox, yet aren't ready to record, there are many other ways you can help us :) If you head over to the Listeners Wanted section of this forum, you can help us proof-listen some of the recordings to make sure they're OK to put in the catalog. If you're familiar with Wikipedia, you can help us put links to completed projects into Wikipedia. There are many other things as well :)

I hope you enjoy LibriVox.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, Jani!

This is a great place for folks learning English because we have SO many varieties of dialects here. Even just downloading and listening will give you a much better familiarity with English than any course or training.

As Kristin pointed out, there are lots of ways to participate in LibriVox. We hope you find a way that's comfortable for you. We've even got the Helsinkiin read in Finnish!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Jani, and welcome to librivox! You might try an inexpensive USB mic. A lot of us use them and they work well. My Logitech USB desk mic was $30; I love it. You don't have to spend a lot to get a good sound!

Have fun here, make yourself at home, and feel free to ask questions!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Terve Jani!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Kara why not stick the Logitech USB mic comment in your footer? ;) maybe i should do the same!

"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Logitech USB noise cancelling mic, which you can buy for about $30 and comes recommended by many LibriVox volunteers, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

would save your fingers some work!! BUT they better do something nice for us soon though ... like provide a free headset for every 5 LV volunteers who buy one. and we could distribute them to new volunteers, or something....
kayray

Post by kayray »

*falls on the floor laughing*

It is done :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

LOL, I love it!! :)
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Welcome to LibriVox, Jani.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
kri

Post by kri »

hugh wrote:Kara why not stick the Logitech USB mic comment in your footer? ;) maybe i should do the same!

"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Logitech USB noise cancelling mic, which you can buy for about $30 and comes recommended by many LibriVox volunteers, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

would save your fingers some work!! BUT they better do something nice for us soon though ... like provide a free headset for every 5 LV volunteers who buy one. and we could distribute them to new volunteers, or something....
I love it, that's great!!

A wee bit off topic, but this reminds me of a conversation I had with my boyfriend today. I was talking about needing to change the voice mail message, and he started saying "This is a LibriVox recording..." I thought, wouldn't that be amusing?

This is a LibriVox recording...no just kidding. You've reached Kristin and Corey's voicemail, leave a message. However, you should really check out LibriVox.o-r-g.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

ha ha ha ...
PS to: dcclxxvii ... i hope you don't mind that your intro thread has been highjacked!