Just heard about this site on NPR!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Rocelin

Post by Rocelin »

In my time zone, it's afternoon, so, good afternoon everybody! From what I have heard and read about LibriVox, it seems to be a very valuable and, for those who have the right mindset, vibrant and exciting project. I hope that I will be able to make some useful contributions. First, I will need to track down that digital voice recorder I bought earlier this year, but, I don't think that will take too long.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - K. Vonnegut
kayray

Post by kayray »

Did you hear about us on "The World?" The show is going to air here in 20 minutes so I haven't even heard it yet!

Welcome to librivox :) Feel free to ask questions, look around, make yourself at home, and jump in with a recording whenever you're ready!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Rocelin

Post by Rocelin »

Yes, it was "The World", this time. I've actually heard about LibriVox twice on NPR. The first time was a while ago, as in, I'm not sure if it was weeks ago, or more than a month ago, and I'm pretty sure that it was on an evening program, not "The World". The first time, my thought process went something like "oh cool, I should get involved with that, too bad I'm not going to be at a computer any time soon." But today I was going straight to a place with a computer available for my use, and that made things very easy. Quick question: I've been poking through the FAQ's, and I can't seem to figure out a way to reply to a specific message within a topic, as opposed to making just a general post to the topic. Is it possible to reply to a specific message, or is that not a feature of this forum?
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - K. Vonnegut
kayray

Post by kayray »

well, you can hit the "quote" button above the post you wish to answer, and that'll paste that message into a new post where you can respond to it. That's the best we've got :)

Yeah we had a mention on the show "Day to Day" a couple of weeks ago, and I think maybe one other time too!

The World is about to come on... I'm all excited :)

Kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Welcome Rocelin! Thanks for signing up for the bit of The Prince... Let me know if you have any questions =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Alys

Post by Alys »

Rocelin wrote:Is it possible to reply to a specific message, or is that not a feature of this forum?
I'm not sure, but I don't think it's possible to create a whole threaded conversation, but if you want to make sure that someone knows what it is you're replying to, the quote function works quite nicely! When you hit reply, there is a link in the lower left hand corner that says "BBCode" and explains how to do fun stuff like quotes and so on.[/quote]
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

Rocelin wrote:Yes, it was "The World", this time. I've actually heard about LibriVox twice on NPR. The first time was a while ago, as in, I'm not sure if it was weeks ago, or more than a month ago, and I'm pretty sure that it was on an evening program, not "The World".
Well, Librivox was mentioned on Day to Day... early last week, wasn't it? I've sort of slept since then.

-R
[url=http://www.pendantaudio.com/bios/rfrancis.html]me[/url]
Rocelin

Post by Rocelin »

rfrancis wrote: Well, Librivox was mentioned on Day to Day... early last week, wasn't it? I've sort of slept since then.

-R
I don't doubt that it was mentioned on that program, however, that was not the reference that I caught. My listening has been very sporadic lately; I didn't hear hardly any of last week's programming.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Woops. Just posted about the "The World" snippet over in News and Discussion. It was good!

-Catharine
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Kara - you went and did another secret interview and didn't tell us till it was over you silly shy goose! Next time tell us so we can listen!

Having said that, I'm glad to see it has brought in some new folks, welcome all!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
vee

Post by vee »

Hmm... do they give you a copy of the interview?

Welcome to LV Rocelin!

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
kayray

Post by kayray »

windows media link to the 4-minute segment:

http://www.theworld.org/wma.php?id=02078
Kara
--------
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Thanks for the link, Kara, great interview, great segment!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
Tin Soldier

Post by Tin Soldier »

I heard the same report and as soon as I made it home, I ended up visiting the site and looking around. Since I'm a college student pursuing an English Degree, this is something I'm very interested in, both in listening and volunteering to record.

Incredible concept!
Dan Hawthorne
vee

Post by vee »

Woah, got a little confused there. Welcome to LV Tin Soldier!
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein