Hi from Toronto, Canada

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
TinaTrLr

Post by TinaTrLr »

Hi from the alleged centre of the Universe! :wink

I heard about Librivox on CBC Radio and went right out to buy a microphone---how's that for enthusiasm? :)

I am excited about recording; I love to read and there are some great books in your selection.

What a great idea this is!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, bookworm633 - hugh will be overjoyed to see another Canadian in here!

I'd like to recommend you to the Short Poetry & Prose section to start off. There's the Weekly Poetry piece (this week it's Kipling's If) where everyone reads the same short poem. It's amazing how different all of the readings are because each of us brings something unique to the reading.

There's also the fourth edition of the Short Poetry Collection, which is more free-form in that you can choose any public domain poem you like. And there are still a few Aesop's Fables left to be claimed.

All of these hold a distinct advantage for folks new to LibriVox - they're short. Since most of them run just a minute or three, the time committment isn't too intense. If you choose to read a book by yourself (which we encourage, by the way!) you'll notice that it can easily turn into a months-long project. This is actually why we do a lot of things in a collaborative style with different folks reading different chapters of the same work.

It's great to have you aboard - it's always nice to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
vee

Post by vee »

Hi bookworm! ChipDoc's right, hugh's been gunning for Canadians!

Welcome to our home, it's nice to have more excited volunteers like yourself. We do encourage you to start with Short Works, since it's easier to get use to the editing and format, but if you want to take the time for the novels we would welcome it.

Thanks for stopping in, and we hope to hear from you soon.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

yes! finally some people who can pronounce "about" correctly.
kayray

Post by kayray »

it's what you wear on your foot when it snows -- a boot!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
TinaTrLr

Post by TinaTrLr »

Hi All! Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

Thanks for the heads up about the Aesop's Fables--one of my favourites.

(I hope you noticed the correct spelling of favourite) :wink:

I'll work my way up to the solo's. That'll give me time to browse through the short list at the Gutenburg project..... There's so many to choose from-incredible.

Here's my question: Do you pronounce the word: Mazda as mawzda or maazda? I think the right way is: mawzda.

8)
RobertG

Post by RobertG »

bookworm633 wrote:I think the right way is: mawzda.
I think they only pronounce it this way in Boston! :lol:
[size=92]http://climber53.com
[i]a one thin dime production[/i][/size]
[size=75][color=blue]-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-[/color]
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/RobertGarrison]project status is in the wiki[/url][/size]