Hello from Fox in the Stars

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Fox in the Stars

Post by Fox in the Stars »

Hi! My name's Laura; online I go by "Fox in the Stars." I live in central Illinois. I've never been really involved in recording, but I'd been interested in doing it with public domain works even before finding Librivox, so it was love at first sight (although I have yet to submit anything).

I found the site while looking if there was a way to do volunteer audio for Project Gutenberg, and their site said there was and it was here! I also scan books for PG Distributed proofreaders.

All that when I'm not rotting my brain with Mystery Science Theater 3000, indulging my love of vintage (especially silent-era) movies, or writing epic Harry Potter fanfiction.

Glad to meet everyone!
Laura "Fox in the Stars": fan-author, puppyshipper.
...and [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraFox]LibriVixen. >^-~<[/url]
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Welcome!

I too came here as a PGDPer and am really enjoying bringing these books alive ... even if i don't have a stellar voice or have incredible technology skills... it's just plain fun to see these works being made available in this way.

So, please jump right in to a project that suits you... there is a wide variety of projects currently in progress... let us know if you have any questions =)

EDIT: Oh, I see you're already a step ahead ... awesome!
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kayray

Post by kayray »

MST3K!! YAY!!! I used to watch it years and years ago when Joel was the host. OH, I miss Joel.

I got interested in silent movies recently after watching Sunset Boulevard for the 2nd time... (love that movie!) Can you recommend a couple of good titles?

Happy reading!

kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
fox

Post by fox »

Hey cool, another fox. :D
Fox in the Stars

Post by Fox in the Stars »

kayray wrote:MST3K!! YAY!!! I used to watch it years and years ago when Joel was the host. OH, I miss Joel.

I got interested in silent movies recently after watching Sunset Boulevard for the 2nd time... (love that movie!) Can you recommend a couple of good titles?
I didn't get into MST until it was on SciFi channel, so I'm more of a Mike person, although I adore them both! Mike just couldn't do that "oh, wow" that Joel did.

As for silent movies, probably my favorites are Charlie Chaplin --- "The Gold Rush," "The Kid," "City Lights," and also "Modern Times" (semi-silent) and "The Great Dictator" (talkie), but I think his later stuff got pretty self-indulgent... I also love everything I've seen by Fritz Lang; I highly recommend "Metropolis," but do get the "Restored Authorized Edition" from Kino --- nothing else comes close. His first talkie, "M" with Peter Lorre, is also excellent and seems strikingly current with its themes... We recently got "Judex," which is a French silent serial, and I enjoyed it a lot. "Nosferatu" and "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" are of course classics, too.

On the comedy side I'd like to get my hands on some Harold Lloyd sometime soon...
Laura "Fox in the Stars": fan-author, puppyshipper.
...and [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraFox]LibriVixen. >^-~<[/url]