new from new zealand

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
keri

Post by keri »

i had been thinking that it would be great to have a system where people could collaborate to audio record books and then i stumbled across this site and found that someone had not only thought this already but got a system up and running. Fabulous! I intend to do a few small pieces but I'd really like to record some john cowper powys, we'll see.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

It's great to have you with us, Keri, and thanks for joining in!
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Great to have you on board, keri!

I'm all for people reading Powys (I don't think he's represented in our catalog), but I'm not sure if you'd legally be able to read anything by him. All of our recordings have to be in the public domain, that is, free of copyright. In the U.S. that means that anything published before 1923, but different countries have different copyright laws. In most other countries, copyrights expire either 50 or 75 years after the author's death, and Powys died in 1963. LibriVox readers have to follow U.S. copyright law (because that's where the servers are located) as well as their own country's law (because that's where the readers themselves are located). I looked up New Zealand's copyright law and it says that copyrights expire 50 years after the author's death (search for "Copyright Act", and put 67 under Section Number).

I hope that doesn't burst your bubble or anything. But I thought you should know. There are lots of other works you can do for LibriVox, though. We'd love to have your voice! So look around on here, or on Project Gutenberg.. you're sure to find something you'd like to do!

See ya around!
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
anna

Post by anna »

Welcome keri,

Have fun here :)
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Welcome keri and Enjoy, great to have you on board.

Lucy :)
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
keri

Post by keri »

thanks for the welcome and advice. there are a couple of powys works on project gutenberg unfortunately they are not his novels, but I'm tempted by the complex vision, don't know that anyone else might be. I thought US copyright law was what was important for Librivox, I also thought the US had the 50 year law too, but I've seen other posts refering to copyright running from publication dates. Powys died in 1963, i've never before regretted that he lived so long, so worst case scenario his work should be available in seven years. I've also seen a few things in the suggestions for new readings that might keep me busy till then: Lord Dunsany, William Morris as well as a few things already on the go. hope to see you all around for sometime.
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Welcome!
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
Cory Newb

Post by Cory Newb »

Welcome Keri!