Hello from Atlanta

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
jeffclough

Post by jeffclough »

Hi. I've come to enjoy audio books, and I found this site through a blog I participate in. My daily commute is about an hour each way, and audio books make this much nicer.

I'm interested in contributing to the LibriVox effort, reading or proofing or whatever. I'd be particularly interested in working with some out-of-copyright science fiction (e.g. Edgar Rice Burroughs).

I'm male, 42, recently married (first time and still learning the ropes), work as a computer programmer, and have lived in the Atlanta area for 24 years. I know my midwest accent has yielded a little to the southern environment, but we'll see how that goes. Today, audio books. Tomorrow, movie trailers! (It could happen.)

My computing environment is primarily Macintosh. What sort of software is recommended for producing MP3 voice recordings on a Mac? I've never needed to do this, so I'd be interested in the experience of others. I'd also be interested in any advice on avoiding room noise. (Maybe finding a quiet room and turning off the AC or heat would be a good start.) Is a headset recommended in order to free the hands? How should I deal with a cat that loves my voice and comes running any time I'm on the phone? (Gagging her doesn't work.)
kri

Post by kri »

jeffclough wrote:Hi. I've come to enjoy audio books, and I found this site through a blog I participate in. My daily commute is about an hour each way, and audio books make this much nicer.
Welcome Jeff!! I hope you enjoy diving into our ever increasing collection. I almost wish I had a long commute so that I'd have a regular chance to listen to all the recordings I want to hear. I keep trying to remind myself to get a CD burned of what I'm currently listening to take to work every weekend, but I always forget!
jeffclough wrote:I'm male, 42, recently married (first time and still learning the ropes), work as a computer programmer, and have lived in the Atlanta area for 24 years.
Well, you might be interested in a project that started out of Librivox. It's called Revoxer (http://revoxer.sourceforge.net/, http://sourceforge.net/projects/revoxer). It's an attempt to create a recorder that allows you to couple the text with the recording so that people can read along with an audio book. It's really a newly started idea.
jeffclough wrote:My computing environment is primarily Macintosh. What sort of software is recommended for producing MP3 voice recordings on a Mac? I've never needed to do this, so I'd be interested in the experience of others. I'd also be interested in any advice on avoiding room noise. (Maybe finding a quiet room and turning off the AC or heat would be a good start.) Is a headset recommended in order to free the hands? How should I deal with a cat that loves my voice and comes running any time I'm on the phone? (Gagging her doesn't work.)
I know there are other recording software for the Mac, but Audacity is a commonly used program that works on both Windows and Mac. I know there are others using Macs as well who could give you some advice. I'm sure that a good quality mic will go a ways in preventing room noise, but you may want to check out the need help thread where there has been at least one conversation about recording in closets, and other ways to keep the quiet. I find a headset works great, but I've not had the experience of using a desktop mic to really know the difference.

About the cat...catnip in another room? :)
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi Jeff! Welcome to Librivox.
My computing environment is primarily Macintosh. What sort of software is recommended for producing MP3 voice recordings on a Mac? I've never needed to do this, so I'd be interested in the experience of others. I'd also be interested in any advice on avoiding room noise. (Maybe finding a quiet room and turning off the AC or heat would be a good start.) Is a headset recommended in order to free the hands? How should I deal with a cat that loves my voice and comes running any time I'm on the phone? (Gagging her doesn't work.)
My husband and I are Macintosh users - and we have cats, one of whom made a very nice recording of himself meowing this morning when I was at the computer. We find it useful for one of us to go keep the talkative cat company (and attempt to keep him quiet!) when one of us is in the computer room doing recording stuff. As far as the Macintosh goes: We're using the very popular Logitech USB noise reduction mike, coupled with Audacity. The mike is great at reducing ambient noise, and Audion takes a little getting used to, but is a pretty straightforward program to use. I think there's a thread over in Advice/Suggestions about using Audacity that you might want to look at.

A good place to start for doing recordings is the Weekly Poetry, over in the Readers Wanted: Short Works area. The idea is to get as many people as possible to submit recordings of a single work. Or, you could grab a chapter of a longer work in progress.

Enjoy yourself, and feel free to ask questions. Looking forward to hearing you!

-Catharine