Excited to become a contributor

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
cybersus

Post by cybersus »

I've been sucking down Librivox books for several months now, and have decided that I would like to read some as well. This is great fun as I load the books on my iPod and listen while I walk to work or work in the yard.

I'm on the downhill slide to 60, have lived in the same town all my life (5th generation!), have a degree in theatre arts, taught high schoolf or 3 1/2 years, worked in publications at the University of Northern Colorado for a very long time which morphed into the web. I also enjoy country and bluegrass music, and am a member of a band (which is now reformulating after losing two people), Geezergrass http://www.geezergrass.com I'm the bass player (and senior geezer).

I am quite interested in genealogy as well, and I had planned on recording some poems to attach to my genealogy site so that my kids would have a record of some of the things that I loved as a child. When I record these poems, I will let Librivoxers listen (and use them, if so desired) to make sure all the hardware is working well, etc.

I just ordered a Plantonics DSP-400 USB headset (the 500 is suggested in your equipment page, but isn't compatible with Macs, and the 400 is, plus is foldable).

Each of the poems I will read in the first batch mean something special to me (and my mother, who either read or recited them to me when I was a child), and I want them to be there for my boys. I believe most are in the public domain, although there is one poem I will have to do some checking on. It's a poem in the collection "Now We Are Six" by A.A. Milne, and was published in 1926. It may still be copyrighted, and if so, I will record it for my private genealogy collection but not for Librivox.

Others in this group include:
The Cremation of Sam McGee (which I read for a school project in 8th grade)
The Face on the Barroom Floor (Central City is not far from us, and I have seen the face many times)
The Charge of the Light Brigade (mom used to recite this to me from memory)
The Highwayman (mom used to read this to me on dark nights)
Curfew Will Not Ring Tonight (a silver-sleeve special if ever there was one - [imagine running your sleeve over your nose if it's running, for instance from getting teary)
Come Home, Father (another sliver-sleeve special, a temperance poem, also a song)
The Water Drinker (a bullying temperance lecture that I spoke in a period-piece mellerdrama many years ago [Water! Bright water for me! Give wine to the trembling debauchee!)

Sorry for such a long initial post, but sometimes I get carried away. Especially when I need a break from the rather arcane nuances of implementing AJAX on a dynamic web page.

I should have stuff for folks to comment on early next week, I hope.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Welcome cybersus.

"The Face on the Barroom Floor" sounds interesting, but I'm guessing it doesn't depict the scene I've got in my mind.

Hope you like it here.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
cybersus

Post by cybersus »

It's a tale of desperate love where a drunkard comes into a bar and begs a drink. To pay for it he begins to draw a picture of a girl on the floor and tells the story of love gone wrong, and that this is the girl who caused such pain. At the end he falls across the picture, dead.

Another drink, and with chalk in hand, the vagabond began
To sketch a face that well might buy the soul of any man.
Then, as he placed another lock upon the shapely head,
With a fearful shriek, he leaped and fell across the picture -- dead.

In the bar right next to the Central City Opera House is a roped-off area with the face of a very pretty girl (that might buy the soul of any man), the face on the barroom floor. Of course, it was painted after the poem became famous, but wow, what a way to tap into literature!
kristin

Post by kristin »

Welcome cybersus. That's a good list of poems. From the look of it you'll be needing the short and long poetry collections. Basic rule is if it's less than 5 minutes put it in the short poetry, more than 5 goes in long poetry. I look forward to hearing your recordings. :D

Oh, as for the Milne collection it's a no go for us. Sorry.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Welcome!
anna

Post by anna »

Welcome cybersus,

Have fun here :)
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.