Hello

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
MisterG

Post by MisterG »

Hi.

I signed up yesterday.

I love the idea of Librivox - making public domain literature accessible to anyone who wants it for free.
I have thought many times about an Audible subscription, but I think their pricing appeals to those who must listen to a LOT of books. For the casual listener, it is excessive.
I mean, I can afford it, but it would feel like a waste of money for me, especially now since I have discovered Librivox.

I think Librivox must be an invaluable resource for partially sighted and blind people, though I do wonder how they access the content. Not being flippant here, I genuinely would like to know how a blind person would browse, download and transfer the works.

Anyway.
I'm a Brit. A northern Brit.
I have an almost neutral accent with a northern twang, but I love different accents.
I'm that annoying bloke at work who is constantly using different accents and voices because I (probably mistakenly) believe that I'm funny.
- do other readers change their voice when reading different things?
- Is it allowed to do other voices/accents or is that classed as cultural misappropriation?
Last night as I was going to sleep, I found myself having a happy little fantasy about reading War of the Worlds in a Richard Burton voice :lol:

I love cold reading - where you have not read the text beforehand. I sometimes do this with my local Am-dram group at the very start of a stage production process. This was always my favourite part of the process and I wold sometimes go along to the first reading even if I had no intention of being in the show, just because I enjoy the cold reading so much.
Many years ago, I had an idea to start an online community for people to read public domain plays (live) just for fun, but I never got around to do anything about it.
I like to think I'm a decent reader, but I suppose this is how I find out.

My plan is to spend this week figuring out how this whole process works and testing my home studio setup (all the gear, and some idea :wink: ) next week.
I expect some sort of reading and quality test will be required, and I'm fine with that.

Speak to you soon 😁
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello and a warm welcome to our forum :) The man with the many accents, I think there is a niche for you here. :lol:
I think Librivox must be an invaluable resource for partially sighted and blind people, though I do wonder how they access the content. Not being flippant here, I genuinely would like to know how a blind person would browse, download and transfer the works.
I am not sure but I think blind people using the computer can do so via voice-searching :hmm: I do know we have sight-impaired people even helping around the forum, so maybe they can tell you more about this.
I'm a Brit. A northern Brit.
I have an almost neutral accent with a northern twang, but I love different accents.
Northern Brit...would that be something like Sean Bean ? If so...you have me hooked :9:
- do other readers change their voice when reading different things?
I can not speak for all, but I definitely love to read in character. Some people love to hear stories as dramatic readings, others are annoyed by it. Bottom line, you cannot please everybody (as with everything in life), so here at librivox, what you should aim for is having fun yourself in the process of recording. If you feel like doing voices, then go for it. As long as it's understandable for a listener, I guess there is nothing wrong with it.
Many years ago, I had an idea to start an online community for people to read public domain plays (live) just for fun, but I never got around to do anything about it.
well here is your chance to do as much drama as you wish. I am also active in the drama subforum and we're having great fun. And there you can definitely act out your characters. :mrgreen: Check the open plays here: viewforum.php?f=27 Chances are you may get me as Prooflistener in one of them. I would love to hear your Sean Bean version. 8-)
My plan is to spend this week figuring out how this whole process works and testing my home studio setup (all the gear, and some idea :wink: ) next week.
I expect some sort of reading and quality test will be required, and I'm fine with that.
yes we definitely recommend checking your setup with the one minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Please post the test in the Test-forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, you can claim your first chapter, poem or theatre role :)

Have fun and good luck with the test.

Sonia