My introduction

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
davidjkcarr

Post by davidjkcarr »

Hello to you all. My name is David and I am a new to this forum, though I suppose that should really go without saying. I am British but I currently live in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, in S.E. Europe. The reasons for this are rather long-winded in nature and probably not germane.

For most of my professional life I was a lawyer, working in London, my home town. However, after 30 years in practice I become rather jaded with the legal profession and decided to embark upon a new venture. I now teach English online, with an emphasis on legal and business English. I never envisaged any sort of career, or even a hobby, as a voice-over artist but, having been complimented several times on the quality of my voice when teaching, the notion has now taken root in my mind.

Not knowing where to begin, I found a professional voice coach and engaged his services. His name is Dan Udenberg. He is a professional voice-over artist and a lovely fellow to boot. It was Dan who revealed the existence of this Forum to me and encouraged me to join. I followed his advice. He may be a member here too, I am not sure.

So, here I am. As I make my own videos, I already own a fairly decent microphone and also editing software and I hope that will be sufficient to get me started, at least. I hope to get some useful experience under my belt, learn as much as I can and, if I am lucky, get some feedback too.

My greetings to you all. I am very excited to embark upon this new adventure, regardless of where it leads.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Welcome to LibriVox, David! As a former lawyer you may be happy to learn that everything that we record is in the public domain!
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
davidjkcarr

Post by davidjkcarr »

Yes, I am aware of that but thanks for responding anyway.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

davidjkcarr wrote: November 12th, 2021, 4:47 pm
As I make my own videos, I already own a fairly decent microphone and also editing software and I hope that will be sufficient to get me started, at least.
David! Welcome! Yor experience as a lawyer, English teacher, and voice coaching client is marvelous! Your European background from London to Belgrade is also cherished here.

You might enjoy joining us for a Zoom meeting Friday. It's very early your time, so you might prefer to catch the recording on YouTube.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=83012&p=1980221&hilit=Microphone#p1980221
Please let me know if you wanted me to add any questions to the list.

We're looking forward to receiving your one-minute-test so you can check that your technical settings are compatible with our systems.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

GraceBuchanan wrote: December 8th, 2021, 7:06 am It's very early your time.
Correction: I'm sorry. I counted backwards. The meeting is later in you day. I hope that time works well for you.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing