Hello from Canada!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
thereader710

Post by thereader710 » September 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Hi everyone, I'm excited to be a part of LibriVox! Any other Canadians feel free to shoot a reply to this post:) I do have some questions regarding the copyright status of books in Canada so hopefully I can get those answered haha

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 16th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Welcome, fellow Canadian! 8-)

Let me head off the question, perhaps:

To record for LibriVox, the work must be in the public domain in the USA. But for those of us outside the US, we must also follow the copyright laws of our own country. So in addition to being PD-US, the works we in Canada record must have authors that died more than 50 years ago (for 2020, that would mean they died in 1969 or earlier).

Any other questions? 8-)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

thereader710

Post by thereader710 » Yesterday, 8:40 am

Thank you! But do we seriously have to go through and search up if the author has been dead for 50+ years for whatever book we want to narrate? Seems like a huge hassle if I'm being honest... is there like a list of public domain literature that is available to be narrated in Canada? That would make things way easier.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » Yesterday, 10:01 am

Thing is, it changes every year, so any list would have to be changed every year, too. :lol:

For group projects here, it's pretty easy. Each project has the birth/death year of the author (and translator, if applicable) in the first line of the first post, if it's known. So if a group project looks interesting, a quick glance to see if the author/translator died in 1969 or earlier is pretty easy.

I'll admit it's harder if you're searching out your own texts. But most sites (Gutenberg.org, archive.org, hathitrust.org to name three) have the author death year as well, so it's not terribly hard. And it becomes second nature, almost, after a bit of practice. :)

That Life+50 year is getting closer and closer to my birth year. I don't like that. :help:

It is a pain to have to follow two sets of rules. But everyone in the world outside the USA who records for LV does the same thing, so we're in good company. ;)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David