New Volunteer (Southern United States English, Bass)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
DaireBarefoot

Post by DaireBarefoot »

Hello everyone! I am Lance Corporal Barefoot, USMC Reserve. I am excited to join the forum and perhaps volunteer in the near future. I am from North Carolina and well versed in English (my native tongue). I speak with a southern accent and have a strong Bass/Baritone voice. I have attended NC State University. I have recording equipment and believe my dialect, as well as reading ability, really bring something to the table. I found out about LibriVox using Google play years ago. I got tired of paying 30 dollars for books on Audible. I look forward to working with yall. My user name is DaireBarefoot. Also I have listened to LibriVox for 4+ years and felt it was time to volunteer.

To be honest I have gotten extremely irritated by hearing readers who have poor reading ability. I appreciate everyone's willingness to volunteer however I feel that some people are using this opportunity to practice their English rather than actually contribute well read passages. Given all this I figured I would join the community and volunteer my efforts rather than complain about others.

Thank you everyone

Skylar Daire Barefoot 
(email removed by admin for security reasons) As a southerner I would love to do reading project where several different southern dialects come together to read a classic southern novel. I am tired of hearing people "mock" southern accents during their readings.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Skylar, what a beautiful name :)

welcome to our forum. As you can see, I edited out your email adress from your first post. This is for security reasons, to make sure they are not going to be harvested by spambots. If you want to share your email adress with fellow Librivoxers, you can do so via the PM function later on.

Well, great to have you with us. I myself love all kinds of accents, I feel they make the listening experience so rich and interesting. :9: So I’m looking forward to hearing your "southern drawl" (I think they commonly call it) in one of our projects one day.

The best way to start is a one-minute test, uploaded and posted in a new thread in this forum: viewforum.php?f=21 This is to check that your technical settings are up to LV standards. Someone will check your test and give you advice if needed.

As soon as your test is ok, feel free to participate in any project that is on offer and strikes your fancy.

I hope you have fun on here :D

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi Skylar. I'm a southerner myself, with a bit of a drawl which I can tone down or rachet up as I think the situation calls for, but alas am not able to get rid of it completely, nor can I fake a New York, Boston, or foreign accent very well. I do intend to practice on those one day. Part of the fun of Librivox is the dramatic roles one finds oneself in, but I agree it is important to try and match your voice to the project you are assisting on. I look forward to seeing you around the LV playground.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Most of the time it sounds better if you just use your accent whatever you read . It does become difficult if there is a lott of dialect though :D . But non USA people reading American books is not a problem around here.

Anne