Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 10:22 pm

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post Posted:: November 9th, 2017, 10:12 pm 

Hi Phil,
My forum name is JayS. Capital J and S.
I don't know if it is case sensitive, but that is the way I get into all the forums.
I have not picked a Catalog name as best as I remember.
Put me in any way you like and I will keep trying.
I know we can get this solved and maybe get some knowledge in the process. I hope so. In the meanwhile I have been doing some tests and I do have one question. Once a test is okay what do I need to do to pass the person on. Is it a simple change in the subject line or what? There are so many ways to mess up and I want to cause fewer problems.
I believe I can find a fit here and I will be doing Act 3 of the play you suggested I try.

Jay

Post Posted:: November 9th, 2017, 10:18 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

JayS wrote:
Hi Phil,
My forum name is JayS. Capital J and S.
I don't know if it is case sensitive, but that is the way I get into all the forums.
I have not picked a Catalog name as best as I remember.
Put me in any way you like and I will keep trying.
I know we can get this solved and maybe get some knowledge in the process. I hope so. In the meanwhile I have been doing some tests and I do have one question. Once a test is okay what do I need to do to pass the person on. Is it a simple change in the subject line or what? There are so many ways to mess up and I want to cause fewer problems.
I believe I can find a fit here and I will be doing Act 3 of the play you suggested I try.

Jay

You may give the person the OK to record once you feel they meet the minimum standards. An admin 'should' come along and then add the [OK] to the subject line, usually withing a day or so. This is the way things work now. Feel free to make suggestions to improve their reordings, such as reducing noise a bit, speaking past the mic if they have a problem with plosives, but make sure they know these are just suggestions, that their tech specs are OK. You know what i'm talking about.

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

Post Posted:: November 9th, 2017, 11:35 pm 

Yes, I have been doing almost precisely that which you suggest. In the course of which I exchanged messages with some with good tech skills of their own. One gentleman informed me that the directions to ReplayGain don't seem to work for him. I couldn't test because I don't even have that plugin. I went through my massive number of plugins to activate it and it was not found. However, if it is true that it doesn't work in the later versions of Audacity, then perhaps that page should be removed. I looked at the page and it seems to me that we have simpler ways of getting the same result.
Just a little something I picked up during my test listens.
*note: I don't know whether I should bother you with such trivia. Is there someone else that would be more appropriate for such matters? I am not accustomed to bothering people with such matters, but feel I am too new here to do much else.

Jay (eager and willing)

Post Posted:: November 10th, 2017, 12:26 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Jay, you can find ReplayGain here and I use it ALL the time, I find it's an invaluable tool. It simply calculates by how much you must amplify or decrease your recording to get to the coveted 89 dB. Before I had ReplayGain, I never knew what to do LOL

Quote:
The easiest way is to install an extra plugin in Audacity that will tell you by how much the recording needs to be amplified to reach the desired volume of 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.

I recommend, you copy/paste this info for the newbie in his one-minute thread. It should download on his computer as well. I don't think I ever heard from someone who couldn't download it :hmm:

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 10th, 2017, 10:16 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi good, and long suffering Buddy. Another request for you. Now that you have been entered into the LV system, I would like you to once again try to change your password and getinto th e MW. Click on the BC Admin link, try to change your password and see what happens. If this works then I have discovered a preliminary step that must be done before it works and can remake the video. If not, then I will call upon the wiser heads back here to help me understand.

Post Posted:: November 10th, 2017, 5:25 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Phil and Jay
I understand Jay is editing, so he will be unable to access the MW of that project , he will not need to access the MW , he can download the individual files from the link and post the URL for the stitched together final file .
Members need to be BC or DPL to have access to the MW and only for that project.

Hope this helps

Anne

Post Posted:: November 10th, 2017, 8:35 pm 

Hi Sonia and thanks for the ReplayGain tips. They didn't work for me.
Your directions are for Windows and I use a Mac. I have found that a lot of things originally coded for Windows don't play well on a Mac.
After download and opening ReplayGain, I got the message that I needed to download FFmpeg file which I did. Still no good.
I don't need it for myself so I copied and pasted your fine directions into my catalog of tips that I am assembling for helping others.
I feel sure that using Windows with this operation would work better, but money is an object so I will have to do with what I have.
Thanks again for your help.

Jay

Post Posted:: November 10th, 2017, 8:42 pm 

Hi Phil,
I tried your suggestion and again with the previous result. I am sorry that didn't work and we still have not solved a problem.
I will continue to try any of the things you suggest. Sonia is also being a great help.

However, I understand from Anne that I can do the job without getting into the MW. That is okay with me so long as I can contribute.
I pasted Anne's message below.

Jay

Hi Phil and Jay
I understand Jay is editing, so he will be unable to access the MW of that project , he will not need to access the MW , he can download the individual files from the link and post the URL for the stitched together final file .
Members need to be BC or DPL to have access to the MW and only for that project.

Hope this helps

Anne

Post Posted:: November 10th, 2017, 10:02 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

The threads of conversation are getting tangled here and things are becoming disconnected. I suggest we stop this particular thread and have discussions continue in whatever project or BC/MC Jay is working with or talking to.