Hello from Atlanta

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
TechnoMom

Post by TechnoMom »

I'm largely going to reuse what I wrote for my intro email, because it's easy :-)

Let's see - something about me. I'm an inveterate geek, for one thing. I've been TechnoMom online in various places since 1995 - it was the title put on my business cards by my manager at MindSpring Enterprises that year. These days I am a Senior Technical Advisor for Apple. I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home for a great company!

My "real" name is Cyn Armistead. I live in the metro Atlanta, Georgia area of the United States with my life partner, Rick, and our critters Harpo (12-ish year old dog), Django (feline, about 4 years old), and Tully (2-year-old cat). Much of my heart is in Nebraska, where my daughter and her daughter live because my son-in-law is in the military. (I'm the Mémé, not a grandma!) About half of my immediate family is here around Atlanta, and most of the extended family is still back in Alabama, where we're from.

When I'm not working, I'm probably knitting, reading (SF&F, mysteries, and non-fiction), making music with my partner or local friends, or studying for a MOOC. We foster kittens that are too young to be adopted for a local animal shelter and I help teach seniors to use technology to improve their lives with another local organization.

I've done a lot of volunteer work in the past, but haven't been able to get out to do much lately. I love the idea of being able to record from home to help someone else! I used to do a regular podcast, and I've done a grand total of ONE voiceover assignment for money. I've recorded many things for various employers' phone systems, though.

I'm already familiar with Audacity (not a power user, but I can record) and I have an analog (it has a dongle, so I can use it as USB) headset that will hopefully be adequate, until I can get a better microphone. Hopefully I won't suck too badly!

TechnoMom (Cyn)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Hi Cyn and welcome!
The best starting point is submitting a one minute test and the team there will guide you on getting your setup right. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
As a techie, you'll probably end up teaching us a thing or two :thumbs:
There is no need for an expensive mic... a decent USB mic can be bought for about $20 on Amazon. Your mic should be OK for our purposes (we just try to discourage people from using their internal mics) Of course, you can pay a lot more for a better one, but best to see if you enjoy recording before forking out :D

When you start, it is best to read a chapter or two of established projects, but once you are familiar with the site and the process, you can branch out to any Public Domain text that interests you.
Lynne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome! I see you've passed the test already. You're on your way! 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart