Greetings from audio engineer

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
yarpeaudio

Post by yarpeaudio »

Hello Everyone!

I am happy to become a part of your community and i'd like to introduce myself as a volunteer.
As an audio engineer (restoration, editing, mixing and mastering) i have continuous experience since 1997. My previous experience is pretty much about music, but for couple of last years i am keen on Spoken Word.

I am gonna be happy to help anyone with advice or proof-listening/editing work.

Best wishes
- Stan
only work with those you want to hug
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Stan! I'm very glad to see someone here who knows how and likes to edit! I suggest you wander over to the Dramatic Works forum and have a look around there? Or the Listener's and Editor's forum has both projects which need editing and lots of projects which need listeners as well!

It would probably still be a good idea to do a 1 minute test to familiarise yourself with our processes and technical specs, but I think that should be quite easy if you are already fluent with the technical side of producing...
yarpeaudio

Post by yarpeaudio »

Thank you for your suggestions! I will go look.
Have a nice day :)
only work with those you want to hug
carteki

Post by carteki »

Hello and welcome!

You'll find that editing work is usually snapped up quite quickly and then possibly gets "orphaned" when the time actually comes around to editing so keep an eye out.

You can find the link to the 1 minute test here.
We use a program called Checker to do a quick once-over on the files and test the technical specs (Look in the wiki for the download link).

This post has a list of projects that have chapters available for proof listening. Note in the project thread that you're listening to a chapter and then your comments. If you want to become a DPL for that project then volunteer in the project thread too.

This is pretty much what is being checked when listening to a recording:
Level of PL: Standard 

Does the intro match the one specified in the first post of the project thread (below the Magic Window)? 

Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time. 

Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time. 

Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading? 

Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?) 

Does the ending match the one specified in the first post of the project thread?
Are there 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file?
Some listeners proof against the text and point out missed passages etc. Slightly different words are acceptable as long as the meaning isn't changed. Others just listen along.

Cheers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Stan and a big welcome to LibriVox. I would like to have feedback on my recording and the possibilities of improving it from someone experienced like you. Although I have done a lot of recordings they are definitely in need of clearing up and what I think of as 'unmuddying'. Always open to any suggestions.

I use Audacity, Heil PR 40 mic, run it through a strange preamp thing that I don't know how to use, and a PC. Let me know and I will give you a link to one of my recent sections. Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk