COMPLETE: The Origin of Species... by Charles Darwin - NF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hi Rev. Steve,

Oh, sorry, didn't even think about it's being a problem. That makes a certain sense, not wanting to split chapters, keeping an integrity.

Gesine and I have been splitting chapters for so many years in Ulysses, we see the world divided into a's and b's and c's. Nice to look up and see alternatives do exist after all. :D

Well, this one's nearly complete, then.
Best of luck getting the time you need for the endeavors you enjoy!
Anita

Crossposted with Gesine!
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Gesine,

It is a misconception that it will take less time to download a chapter when it is split into two, or God forbid more, parts. The amount of data that needs to be downloaded remains the same, or if anything, due to the repetition of the Librivox intro, having multiple parts will take longer due to the fact that the size of the data to be transmitted increases. I myself have only a moderately fast connection, yet I have managed to download all of the parts so far without difficulty.

The bother involved in having to manage additional files coupled with the lack of benefit of having multiple files, makes the issue of further subdividing chapters a non-issue for me.

We already have several large files in this volume. If that means that your grandmother will not be able to listen to Darwin on her Discman, that is a cross I am prepared to bear.

I am going to stand by my decision and I feel no further reason to justify it.

I am sorry you do not feel that you will be able to complete your chapter. It has been reassigned. Please feel welcome to volunteer for any other chapters that become available. I am sure there will be at least one.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Steve - I've PMd you about the issue of the files. I disagree with you, but we'll go with it as long as you're prepared to take the consequences - e.g. piece together files from readers who are unable to upload a whole long chapter in one go, as for instance Peter has indicated he'd have trouble to do; and upload the files to my server at the end of it.
Rev. Steve wrote:I am going to stand by my decision and I feel no further reason to justify it.
I was not asking for justification, I was asking for clarification. I was aiming for an objective discussion, in which we could look at all angles of the issue. I hope that wasn't too much to ask. Comments like this make me very uncomfortable. We don't need to dig in our heels, we can just talk. It's just an audio book read by volunteers. Let's not get all uptight about it. :)

Thanks for taking me off the chapter, and again apologies for pulling out at this stage. I hope we'll find someone else soon. Will you post it in Orphaned Chapters, here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140 ?

Right, I'm off - have to go and buy my grandmother an mp3 player to replace her discman now ;) (that image was really funny - my grandmothers both had radio, but no other form of music or entertainment, I think - well, televisions. Still giggling at the picture of my grandmother with a discman and earphones :))
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
avantman42

Post by avantman42 »

Just a quick question - do you have any idea when this book is likely to be completed? I suspect my wife will be very interested in hearing it.

Russ
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Well, it was suposed to be May, but i think a more realistic answer, given the rate at which chapters have been completed is May.

I am guessing that others, like myself, have been noticing a significant slowdown during the summer months... so finishing things up in the next few weeks is unlikley I think.

I would much rather have thngs done sooner, but working with volenteere readers - later is sometimes more realistic.
avantman42

Post by avantman42 »

Thanks for the reply. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Russ
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Hello,
This looks like a great project, and I'm sorry I didn't run across it sooner. I'll look forward to listening to it, and please let me know if you have orphaned chapters!
Meredith
My wiki page:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/lyra211
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Thanks Meredith,

I am expecting a few orphaned chapters to pop up in the next few months... I will keep you in mind if they do.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi steve, Origin is the last of my "old" LV commitments, and I DO plan to get to it soon. problem i have had is my darned macbook pro (curse you, apple!) is in the shop again, getting a new logic board again. which they promised me would be fixed by today, but I don;t hold my breath.

in any case, I am still on it and hope in the next week or 2 to get at it.

cheers.
h.
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Thanks Hugh – I am sure that you are not the only one who has put this on the back burner – and I have not recently lit any fires... but when a few more chapters come in I am likely to push a little harder for completion...
kurtrik

Post by kurtrik »

Hi! I don't know if you actually have a list going, but in the hopes that you do, please put me on the "will read orphaned chapters" list! Thanks.
kayray

Post by kayray »

First edition, scanned, online for all to see:
Origin of Species

What a beautiful beautiful thing.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi Steve,

I've replaced the reader list in the first post with the new-style one we're now using. Please see this doc on how to use it: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dt724vw_3gtjj3b

I'll PM you.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

chapter 3 recorded, but not edited.
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

That is great Hugh - just let me know when it is done.