COMPLETE: 1 John ASV by John (Bible) - NF/law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Whoa gosh. Ummm.... Are you sure these translations are in the public domain? I see this at the bottom of Early Christian Writings' main page:

Early Christian Writings is copyright © 2001-2006 Peter Kirby <E-Mail>.

He notes that linking to these pages is okay, but does put his copyright on every page that you've linked to. He doesn't give permission for other uses, so I think you might be out of luck. :(

Ah, but looking up ASV (American Standard Version) on Wikipedia notes that that translation was first released in 1901. Is there another, clearly PD source you can use for these?

Sorry for the hassle!

-Catharine
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

You're right: http://ebible.org/asv/1John.htm Is a better site, the one Ezwa found for Romans ASV. (You know, if something is realeased as PD and a site reposts it, is reposting the second site legal since the first is PD? I never thought about it before)

I'll fix this and the others too.

Thanks!

Sam
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Sam, I'll MC these for you (you have 5 total, right, not counting Romans? 3 Johns, 1 Philemon, 1 Jude? lol). It'll take me a few hrs to get your Magic Windows up but they should all be in place by tonight.

In the meantime, can you work on resampling all your recordings? The sample rate needs to be 44 kHz (yours are at 22).

Oh, and I noticed that Gutenberg does have all of these, but they are listed as World English Bible (which the ebible site also calls them, not sure why their URL link says ASV instead... I suppose they are really the same thing, right? I haven't checked the texts against each other.).
Laurie Anne
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

Laurie,

Doh! (I knew I forgot something--the 44 kHz!) I'll be sure to resample those. I should have them up tomorrow.

I recorded these from the ASV (the 1901 translation). The WEB is a contemporary translation, an update of the ASV. ASV in in public domain and I think WEB is intended to be. Too many acronymns if you ask me. :)

By the way, are you really a chocoholic?

Sam
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

stinssd wrote:Too many acronymns if you ask me. :)
I entirely agree! :)

What really matters is which online text matches what you read, so if you read one that matches the ebible site, then I will go with that and forget about the Gutenberg one. (I'm just conditioned to look on Gutenberg now, lol. Might be simpler if I didn't, huh?)

It did occur to me after I posted that you could wait until the PL'ing was finished to resample... then you could make any needed edits at the same time. Totally up to you.

And yes, I have quite the sweet tooth. :D
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Sam, I went ahead and put Listen links in all your Magic Windows (do you know how to do that?) so it'll be easier for prooflisteners. Do you want detailed (text-perfect) listening or just the standard (repeats, long pauses etc)? And finally, would you like to practice setting up a thread in Listeners Wanted or would you prefer I do it? (For some of these it'd be faster for me to listen myself than to start a thread, lol.)

Also, the file names don't need your surname in them -- when you reupload them, you can just use 1john_01_asv.mp3.
Laurie Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I am going to listen to this one right now. I could possibly resample too and we can have it done for today. Let me know what you want.

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

I don't know how to make magic windows. Is there code I need to do that? I'd appreciate if you'd give me the link I need to learn that. Is this something I can do when I've posted instead of just putting html links as I've been doing?

I'd appreciate word-perfect accuracy with these. If you'd like to listen and proof these, or if you'd like to put up a post in the listener's forum, I'd appreciate that too. With the next batches, I suppose I will improve by putting up magic boxes, posting the files in the right format and frequency, and posting in the right forum to attract a listener. I'm learning. :) Thanks for your help!

Sam
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I have listened to all these with the text and they are word perfect and good to go! :thumbs:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Sam, I'm just checking in very quickly before heading back out (my cat is having an echocardiogram :)) but I will give you more Magic Window info later. An MC has to set those up but then you can edit them once you have the login info.

Esther, thank you very much for proofing! I'll work on the cataloging later this afternoon!
Laurie Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Does your kitty need a cat scan too? :shock:

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Starlite wrote:Does your kitty need a cat scan too?
As a matter of fact, he does. :lol: At least theoretically. He's 14 and had a couple of very mild seizures. (History of heart murmur too, thus the echo, which turned out fine.) He seems to feel well overall.

(Not to hijack or anything, lol.)

Links in the box are updated with the new files. Will go do the others now.
Laurie Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Sam, would you like your website added to your name on the catalogue?

http://www.byhisfaith.com/

I just checked it out. :D

Esther