COMPLETE: North and South by E. Gaskell AF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

We have our summary! It has been very kindly and very well written by Dani, who reads chapter 46.

"Set in Victorian England, North and South is the story of Margaret Hale, a young woman whose life is turned upside down when her family relocates to northern England. As an outsider from the agricultural south, Margaret is initially shocked by the aggressive northerners of the dirty, smoky, industrial town of Milton. But as she adapts to her new home, she defies social conventions with her ready sympathy and defense of the working poor. Her passionate advocacy leads her to repeatedly clash with charismatic mill owner John Thornton over his treatment of his workers. While Margaret denies her growing attraction to him, Thornton agonizes over his foolish passion for her, in spite of their heated disagreements. As tensions mount between them, a violent unionization strike explodes in Milton, leaving everyone to deal with the aftermath in the town and in their personal lives.

Elizabeth Gaskell serialized North and South between September 1854 and January 1855 in Charles Dickens’s magazine Household Words. Upon its publication, Gaskell established herself as a novelist capable of serious discourse on social responsibility and advocacy for change in defiance of established authority."
Last edited by opheliad on September 20th, 2007, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Super; I'll add that. So where are we with the files and the last reader name?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Files - I'm ok with them as they are. It would be nice to have noise reduction, but it's beyond me to organise at the moment so I'm happy to use them as is.

Last reader name: I've sent her a note, but have not heard back. I think we should just go ahead and create a dummy account as per the others in this situation.

Almost there! :D
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I just had a quick listen to two files and the second one could really do with cleaning and amplification. I'll ask someone to do it in Listeners/Editors Wanted.

I'll create the dummy forum name, and then I can catalogue! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ophelia, I've started cataloguing. I note that the vast majority of the readers do not have a catalogue name - I'm assuming that the name you gave in the list above the magic window, or their forum name, is to be used for credit. Please let me know if this is not so.
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Yes that's right, the forum name is to be the catalogue name. :)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Great, I'm cataloguing now. Starlite cleaned the two files for us. :)
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Thank you, Starlite, and thank you Gesine! :D

I am so looking forward to seeing this finally done - it's been a real labour of love for each of us.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I can imagine! I'm having problems with section 15 - it was at the wrong sample rate, so I downloaded it to fix and realised that it needs NC and amplification, too. I tried to do it but I'm no good at that, so finally I posted it in Editors Wanted. Hope to get it back soon.
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Dani has reminded me that we should make sure that the titles North and South and Household Words should be in italics in the final summary, as they both refer to publications. (I've just altered the summary to reflect this.)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Dani has reminded me that we should make sure that the titles North and South and Household Words should be in italics in the final summary, as they both refer to publications. (I've just altered the summary to reflect this.)
Already done. :)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

All done! Great work, everyone. :)

This book is now complete and can be downloaded from the LibriVox catalogue: http://librivox.org/north-and-south-by-elizabeth-gaskell/
Last edited by Gesine on September 22nd, 2007, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh, cool!
(but how about linking to the catalog page instead of the archive page? :) First post, too..)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ha, thanks for spotting that, Kara! Now all fixed.
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Wonderful!!

:D