COMPLETE: North and South by E. Gaskell AF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Great to have you aboard with this, Shelagh!

I should have all the files uploaded by the beginning of next week. It's taking longer than it possibly needs to (but I think it's worth it) because I am cutting and pasting the new disclaimer to the front of each file: i.e. "chapter xx, North and South" -in the reader's own voice.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Gesine, I need help entering one of the names into the list of readers. I've tried several times to enter Linnéa, but each time have been told that the system does not recognise the name.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, so it seems I do need a hand with this one when you have a moment.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Gesine, I need help entering one of the names into the list of readers. I've tried several times to enter Linnéa, but each time have been told that the system does not recognise the name.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, so it seems I do need a hand with this one when you have a moment.
Will check
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I think that's a bug - probably because of the special character in the name. When I entered Linnéa in the Add Reader form at the bottom of the reader list, it worked. Sorry 'bout that. I've signed Linnéa up for 43. Catalogue name still missing.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

No posts for over a month - I was going to check in, when I saw how busy you two have been! Marvellous; this will soon be done! We could still have it catalogued before Lucy's :twisted: Go team! :clap: (not that I'm competitive or anything ;))
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Yes, we've been plodding away diligently! Shelagh has been putting in a stellar performance, just wonderful. :D
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Gesine, I'll be uploading the final corrected chapters today. All is done!!

...Well, almost all.

1. There are a few noise issues in a couple of the chapters, don't know if someone with more expertise can fix that.

2. The ID3 tags need checking. Some follow the pattern of "01 - Haste To The Wedding", while others follow the pattern of "Chapter 01 - Haste To The Wedding". I have been changing them all over to the first model (no "Chapter"), but it's taking so very long I am wondering if it can be done more easily at the cataloguing stage?
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Another thing: we're working on preparing a summary of the book, but aren't quite there yet. Should have it next week sometime, all going well. :)
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Please note that I have made every possible effort to contact all the readers and ask them to join Librivox. There are a couple who have not responded, their details are as follows:

Chapter 48 - Read by Flo (last 2 minutes read by Opheliad)

Chapter 50 - Read by Ania

Should any of these names already be in use by other LV members, please append with the number 19; i.e. Flo19 or Ania19 (but only if necessary).
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Gesine, I'll be uploading the final corrected chapters today. All is done!!

...Well, almost all.

1. There are a few noise issues in a couple of the chapters, don't know if someone with more expertise can fix that.

2. The ID3 tags need checking. Some follow the pattern of "01 - Haste To The Wedding", while others follow the pattern of "Chapter 01 - Haste To The Wedding". I have been changing them all over to the first model (no "Chapter"), but it's taking so very long I am wondering if it can be done more easily at the cataloguing stage?
Re 1. - if they're bad, you could try to post them in the Editors Wanted forum. Or you could try yourself in the new beta version of Audacity, which has pretty good noise-cleaning.

Re 2. - Yeah okay, I'll do the tags in the Validator during cataloguing.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Another thing: we're working on preparing a summary of the book, but aren't quite there yet. Should have it next week sometime, all going well. :)
Alrighty. Don't forget to tell me whom to credit for the summary.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Please note that I have made every possible effort to contact all the readers and ask them to join Librivox. There are a couple who have not responded, their details are as follows:

Chapter 48 - Read by Flo (last 2 minutes read by Opheliad)

Chapter 50 - Read by Ania

Should any of these names already be in use by other LV members, please append with the number 19; i.e. Flo19 or Ania19 (but only if necessary).
We can't give them forum names because they're not registered. Not to worry, I'll put them in the catalogue under dummy accounts. Will do it now.

EDIT: OK, they're done (the catalogue names are in the system). Looks like the only reader name we're missing is for section 09.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Another thought: would you like to put together a short summary & recording extract, for the new releases podcast?
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Section 9 was read by Hadje. She tells me she has registered at LV, but her forum name is not recognised when I try to enter it.

About the short summary and recording extract, would you mind letting me know the details for how this should be done, all the protocols, and deadline?
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Section 9 was read by Hadje. She tells me she has registered at LV, but her forum name is not recognised when I try to enter it.

About the short summary and recording extract, would you mind letting me know the details for how this should be done, all the protocols, and deadline?
You can't enter her because there is no such forum name. I tried a few searches with wildcards but couldn't find a name that comes close, either. Ask her under which name she registered?

New releases podcast: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9299 - see the wiki page mentioned, for specs.