[COMPLETE] Art in Australia, No. 2, 1917 by Various-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Art in Australia, No. 2, 1917, by Various

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/art-in-australia-no-2-1917-by-various/

In 1916, three prominent identities in the Sydney art world - Sydney Ure Smith, Bertram Stevens and Charles Lloyd Jones - got together to publish Australia's first art magazine. Their aim was to make the work of Australian artists known to the Australian public, and, through high quality reproductions, to give an idea of its quality to those who were unable to see the originals. All of the 102 issues of Art in Australia, published between 1916 and 1942, have now been made available, complete with illustrations, on the National Library of Australia's Trove web site. The second issue of the magazine consisted mainly of short biographical sketches of contemporary Australian artists, including Charles Conder, Arthur Streeton and Hans Heysen, illustrated by examples of their work. (Summary by Phil Benson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-351943548/view?partId=nla.obj-351948964

Target completion date: 2022-11-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: Kx80eCkw
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_in_Australia
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 12
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1917
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Art, Design & Architecture

Keywords that describe the book: australia, art

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Art in Australia, No. 2, 1917. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Art in Australia, No. 2, 1917, by Various. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Art in Australia, No. 2, 1917, by Various. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Art in Australia, No. 2, 1917, by Various."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: artinaustraliano21917_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. artinaustraliano21917_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by eggs4ears on October 26th, 2022, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

annise will MC and newgatenovelist will DPL once again. Thank you!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

eggs4ears wrote: October 26th, 2022, 12:09 am All of the 102 issues of Art in Australia, published between 1916 and 1942 have now been made available, complete with illustrations, on the National Library of Australia's Trove web site.
Checking in.

In the summary, I'm going to suggest a comma after '1942' or deleting the one after 'Australia'.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Comma inserted and all files uploaded and ready for PL!

Continuing the topic of 'Did they notice there was a war going on?', this article may be of interest in connection with Part 5.

https://adelaideaz.com/articles/hans-heysen-takes-australian-landscape-image-to-a-new-level-after-study-in-paris

Several thousand German migrants were interned during WW1, but evidently not Hans Heysen, who was nevertheless under surveillance according to the article. I was alerted to this by the comment that he had bought a house called the Cedars in Ambleside, South Australia. Ambleside is actually Hahndorf, which was, like a lot of German settlements, temporarily renamed for the duration of the war. I haven't been there, but I believe the house is now open to the public.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't know how much "anti-enemy feeling there was then - my mother had a German name but her grandfather was naturalised and had died quite young, and the only thing she ever said was that when there was a vote on conscription a petition circulated to prevent 1st generation German migrants voting. Her father was a head teacher at the time and was asked to sign it, he didn't and pointed out he was one of "them". And the petition was not seen again.
I suppose there would have been some - but we were not likely to be invaded.
But a place like Hahndorf and its surrounds was very much a German Lutheran wine-growing area which may have contributed to the feeling.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Phil, summat's wrong with file 10. It's over an hour - I've not listened yet, but could you see where the real file 10 is hiding?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 10 fixed. That was the whole issue in one file.
Newgatenovelist

Sections 1 and 3 are PL OK. Two notes for section 2:

File title in MW should be ‘Some Recollections of Charles Conder’ [as on p 12]

6.35-6.42, second para p 16, repetition
...to claim for that genius our admiration [our admiration] for qualities it never possessed only injures it.

I am in awe of your internet. I assumed you were just putting up with it loading a page at a time while reading, but if your internet lets you upload the whole project in one file without slowly down horrendously, then bravo! That's sounds like a superpower - just use it for good, not evil!
Newgatenovelist

Ugh, that ended up being prophetic. My internet's been playing hide and seek for hours, and when it's around Trove (or rather, each page as an image) is too much for it. I'll be away from my desk for a couple of days, but maybe if I go away and pretend I'm not interested it'll be working perfectly when I'm back to PLing!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: October 29th, 2022, 1:20 pm Ugh, that ended up being prophetic. My internet's been playing hide and seek for hours, and when it's around Trove (or rather, each page as an image) is too much for it. I'll be away from my desk for a couple of days, but maybe if I go away and pretend I'm not interested it'll be working perfectly when I'm back to PLing!
Sorry, I didn't think about the potential difficulties of accessing the text from outside Australia. If you check your email there may be a PDF version there.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I hadn't thought of looking at the download options :oops:
I had planned to use a painting as a cover but the pdf ones were very fuzzy so I gave up - and now I see I could have downloaded a jpg option and got a clear one - grrrrr.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 2 is ready for spot PL. I have updated the MW. That could happen again. I copied the titles from the table of contents, and that one at least is different from the title on the article.
Newgatenovelist wrote: October 28th, 2022, 2:08 pm Two notes for section 2:

File title in MW should be ‘Some Recollections of Charles Conder’ [as on p 12]

6.35-6.42, second para p 16, repetition
...to claim for that genius our admiration [our admiration] for qualities it never possessed only injures it.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Good for your great grandfather! The German villages in South Australia had been there for about 50 years, and the German settlers had taught the English how to feed themselves, after all. So perhaps they got off more lightly than they did in other states.
annise wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:36 am I don't know how much "anti-enemy feeling there was then - my mother had a German name but her grandfather was naturalised and had died quite young, and the only thing she ever said was that when there was a vote on conscription a petition circulated to prevent 1st generation German migrants voting. Her father was a head teacher at the time and was asked to sign it, he didn't and pointed out he was one of "them". And the petition was not seen again.
I suppose there would have been some - but we were not likely to be invaded.
But a place like Hahndorf and its surrounds was very much a German Lutheran wine-growing area which may have contributed to the feeling.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

eggs4ears wrote: October 29th, 2022, 3:28 pm Sorry, I didn't think about the potential difficulties of accessing the text from outside Australia.
I think it's less to do with geography and more to do with my internet connection not being the latest, sleekest thing. I have this issue with Hathi as well. It's 1,000 times better to have a complete scan than nothing at all, it just makes PLing slower. And if I try to record from a Hathi, load-one-image/page-at-a-time book, I either have to bring up a one-page poem before setting up the mic (as I did with Theodore Wratislaw) and add that on to a recording session, or download one page at a time (as I did with parts of Elinor Jenkins, and as I spent several days doing for a possible fiction project earlier this year). It's doable, just fiddly.

My internet today appears to be mostly okay (unless I've just jinxed it by saying that!), though the power's been off. If this keeps up I think I'm going to have to create a bingo card of silly household stuff that none of these authors had to deal with!

Section 2 is spot PL OK.
Newgatenovelist

Sections 5 and 6 are PL OK. One note for section 4:

7.33-7.35, pp 28-29
...the “Royal Barge at Eton” [heard Easton]…