[COMPLETE] Representative Men by Ralph Waldo Emerson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Just editing section 8 then will upload thanks for your patience
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

wib66 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:02 pm Just editing section 8 then will upload thanks for your patience
Michele, you're a part of a group of really good narrators (myself excepted) whose efforts will be enhanced by the quality of your own sections. I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN!

I look forward eagerly to your closing section.

I have a Smarty Pants friend, Dr. David Hill, who wrote his PhD dissertation on Emerson, who is eagerly awaiting this project's completion.... David is the one waiting, not Emerson :) . We meet in a zoom session every Tuesday at 11am EST with a couple of other Smarty Pants to discuss a broad spectrum of things. Of course, I've asked him stuff about Representative Men. He chortled and claimed that the essays were full of clever bon mots and puns. He found puns?!?!? :shock: I guess that's why he's a PhD and I'm the assistant village idiot.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Thank you Bill I love reading your posts they cheer me up and make me chuckle (in a good way).

Here is section 8

31:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_08_emerson_128kb.mp3
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

williamjones wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:20 pm
wib66 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:02 pm Just editing section 8 then will upload thanks for your patience
Michele, you're a part of a group of really good narrators (myself excepted) whose efforts will be enhanced by the quality of your own sections. I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN!

I look forward eagerly to your closing section.

I have a Smarty Pants friend, Dr. David Hill, who wrote his PhD dissertation on Emerson, who is eagerly awaiting this project's completion.... David is the one waiting, not Emerson :) . We meet in a zoom session every Tuesday at 11am EST with a couple of other Smarty Pants to discuss a broad spectrum of things. Of course, I've asked him stuff about Representative Men. He chortled and claimed that the essays were full of clever bon mots and puns. He found puns?!?!? :shock: I guess that's why he's a PhD and I'm the assistant village idiot.
Bill, will you be sharing the highlights of the IT's (for "intelligent trousers" - the upscale version of smarty pants) insights on the Representative Men chapters? I suspect all of your readers would be interested to hear them.

Onward!

Owlivia/Deborah

P.S. Wasn't there a "hunk" from a television program (back Before Time Began) named "Cookie"?

🍪
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Intelligent Trousers ... Love it!!
Yep, if Dave comes through with some good stuff on Emerson, I'll be sure to pass it around to this sterling group.
You guys have really put on a show.

I hated being called Cookie, but to my mother it was second nature. I'd give anything to hear her say it again.
This name stopped later one evening when my parents were closing up the restaurant and the kitchen and Klean-up crew were milling around the front door, probably to pick up their pay checks, when my mother called me by that nickname, and one of our black cooks (Frank Hackner) said "Miz Jones, I think it's 'bout time you stop callin' him Cookie." And, like magic, that name disappeared.

See Y'all tomorrow.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

wib66 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:49 pm Thank you Bill I love reading your posts they cheer me up and make me chuckle (in a good way).

Here is section 8

Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna Hey.
Thank you very much Michele.
We just got back from a family End-Of-Summer dinner.
The host (Dan) and Hostess (Becca) are both teachers and school administrators. Tomorrow is the start of a new year for them.

It's only 10pm EST but I'm whipped. I won't PL section 08 until tomorrow morning.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

wib66 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:49 pm Thank you Bill I love reading your posts they cheer me up and make me chuckle (in a good way).

Here is section 8

Ah, yesssss!
Another good one.
I'm thinking that Emerson is more comfortable with Montaigne than the other 5 Representative Men.

I have some PL NOTES, most of which are comments, not requests for emendation.

2:25 comment: - His writing has no enthusiasms, no aspiration."
Early on in this project those could have been my words. But I've grown a bit wiser...or tolerant.

9:44 PL Note: Heard "I know the qua-DROOpt [2 syllables] opinion will not prevail"
s/b "I know the quad-ra-PED [3 syllables] opinion will not prevail"
This is a close one. The written word is QUADRUPED but I think he's referring to four-footed animals. The next sentence refers to what oxen think. Maybe this is an artifact of your very British accent. In which case, ignore this cavil.
OR... is this one of those puns that my friend David Hill told me watch out for?

11:39.5 comment: "Goethe" again! No problem, I just wanted to mention that you took that hurdle again!

A last comment: your production of vowels reminds me of the comedian Billy Connolly. Are you by any chance of Scottish derivation? To my dumb ol' American ears, it is very charming.

Another last comment: decide whether you want to fiddle with that one PL Note at 9:44, fix it or stet it, and let me know, then this project will soon be over.

Thank you again.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
wib66

Post by wib66 »

williamjones wrote: August 8th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Here is section 8

Ah, yesssss!
Another good one.
I'm thinking that Emerson is more comfortable with Montaigne than the other 5 Representative Men.

I have some PL NOTES, most of which are comments, not requests for emendation.

2:25 comment: - His writing has no enthusiasms, no aspiration."
Early on in this project those could have been my words. But I've grown a bit wiser...or tolerant.

9:44 PL Note: Heard "I know the qua-DROOpt [2 syllables] opinion will not prevail"
s/b "I know the quad-ra-PED [3 syllables] opinion will not prevail"
This is a close one. The written word is QUADRUPED but I think he's referring to four-footed animals. The next sentence refers to what oxen think. Maybe this is an artifact of your very British accent. In which case, ignore this cavil.
OR... is this one of those puns that my friend David Hill told me watch out for?

11:39.5 comment: "Goethe" again! No problem, I just wanted to mention that you took that hurdle again!

A last comment: your production of vowels reminds me of the comedian Billy Connolly. Are you by any chance of Scottish derivation? To my dumb ol' American ears, it is very charming.

Another last comment: decide whether you want to fiddle with that one PL Note at 9:44, fix it or stet it, and let me know, then this project will soon be over.

Thank you again.
Hi Bill
Thank you for that I will do the edits if that's ok but will be tomorrow now(Tuesday). I love Billy Connolly but I am not of Scottish derivation. A lot of my family on my mums side were from Liverpool so I sometimes do sound like that. Will get this to you tomorrow so you can get this one in the catalogue. Thanks
Michele
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:17 pm
P.S. Wasn't there a "hunk" from a television program (back Before Time Began) named "Cookie"?

🍪
Deborah, YES!! the old 77 Sunset strip TV show had a character named Edd Cookie ( or Kooky) Burns, I think.
At first I didn't grok your mention of "hunk" as meaning "man hunk"
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Here is the edited file for section 8
New time 31:10

thank you for your patience and understanding :9:
Michele
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

wib66 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 12:42 pm Here is the edited file for section 8

Yaaaay! It should take only a few minutes to check it out, then our marvelous MC, TriciaG will be able to start the cataloging process.

Thanks, Michele.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

wib66 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 12:42 pm Here is the edited file for section 8

A#1 :thumbs: Thank you Michele.
Section 08, Montaigne Part 2 is PL OKKKKKKKK!

I'm not a very religious man, but, if you're up there, Tricia -- I think it's catalog time for this baby.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha! I'm not up there - I'm over here. :lol:

I'll work on this. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 3 at Archive shows as 39:56, whereas it's 43:17 in the MW.
Section 9 at Archive: 24:53, MW has 27:04

Please verify that the Archive files are okay, with those other durations.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Closing Credit Roll...

Cast, in order of appearance:
TriciaG
Kevins
Mrs, Jones' little boy Billy
Owlivia,
Wib66
FloraMetrick
RitaBoutros

Thank you, thank you, thank all of you for your sterling performances :clap: :clap: :clap:
You all did yourselves proud in bringing off this set of erudite essays.
==============================================

Just a bit of advance warning: I think my next project is likely to be a Dramatic Reading of Act 1 of George Bernard Shaw's play Caesar and Cleopatra. Yes, a DR, but perhaps done in different way : using the audio from a joint, recorded Zoom session, therefore a continuous flow of lines with natural pauses and timing.

This Act 1 is about 57 minutes long. The first half has mostly male, soldier voices that perhaps Kevin and I can split up; the second half is mostly female voices (Clepatra herself, ftatateetee, and a maid)

The second half has 16-year-old Queen Cleopatra, hiding (then napping) between the arms of the Sphinx. Caesar comes to visit the Sphinx, has a short monolog with it. Then Cleo starts to come out of her sleep and has heard Julius Caesar orating at the Sphinx.

She sees him before he sees her down in the shadows. She calls out "Old Gentleman!" Caesar thinks that the Sphinx is talking back to him and he pulls his sword. Cleo says "Old Gentleman, don't run away! Don't let the Romans eat me!!" And Caesar, finally seeing her, says "OLD GENTLEMAN!?!? Don't run away!?!? you say this to Julius frickin' Caesar??? And thus begins a wonderful dialog between the two. The final few lines, inside her palace are priceless!!!

If I do get this all set up and planned early next month, I'll let you all know early, so that you can either run away or join in the cast quickly.

More Source Info:
7,348 Words
57 Minutes

Source
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3329/3329-h/3329-h.htm#link2H_4_0002

Movie info of Shaw's play from IMDB
At the height of the Roman Civil War, a young Cleopatra (Vivien Leigh) meets a middle-aged Julius Caesar (Claude Rains), who teaches her how to rule Egypt.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038390/
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison