[Complete][SOLO]Moon-Face and Other Stories by Jack London - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:00 am Hi Ben, just checking in and see that 3 is in the MW. FYI, I don't get notified of new activity unless you post notice in the forum. I have no idea how long it's been there. Can't wait to listen later today!
Oh sorry. I thought I had posted that it was ready but I must've gotten distracted.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 03

Wow! Lively story, and very fast paced. I appreciate London's observation that putting tramps up in fine hotels would be cheaper than putting them in jail. It's true.

So, here are the things I noticed, some of which stand out more than others. Fix the ones you care about.

:30 medi-ta-tive-ly, you say meta-tav-ely
4:54 she set a place for him, you say piece
7:23 he would creep up with the brier-rose path, delete with
8:26 briar rose path to farthest orchard, you say fottest
9:28 in speech, face, expression, everything, you say speech-faced expression.
1809 the main objection to the system, you say object
19:52 ignominy, you say ignomity
21:36 no man shall say my time is his, you say name
22:58 In short he wrestled with me, you say wrested
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: June 7th, 2022, 4:10 pm PL Notes 03

Wow! Lively story, and very fast paced. I appreciate London's observation that putting tramps up in fine hotels would be cheaper than putting them in jail. It's true.

So, here are the things I noticed, some of which stand out more than others. Fix the ones you care about.

:30 medi-ta-tive-ly, you say meta-tav-ely
I've fixed all the others but I can't find what you're referencing here. Is the time code correct?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oops, it's at :36.
Found on the first page of the story:
Precisely! You could turn a pretty penny.'* But he interlocked his fingers meditatively
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:26 am Oops, it's at :36.
Found on the first page of the story:
Precisely! You could turn a pretty penny.'* But he interlocked his fingers meditatively
Ok, corrected file should be uploaded.
msfry

Post by msfry »

3 is PL OK.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 04

3:17 bach'd, is short for batched, I think, as in "we batched it together"
434 - 4:39.5 Almost a 5 second pause. Seems interminably long!
13:41 and 28:43, you say Simms, everywhere else you say Symes (rhymes with Times).
14:39 she borrowed from the charwoman, you say chairwoman, quite a difference!

Overall volume is at 86.2, but in large section of low spots, volume comes in at between 82 and 86, similar to the other files I've PL'd so far. This concerns me, as yesterday my husband and I were listening to your Houdini Tales solo while we did our afternoon jigsaw puzzling, using an Aluratec bluetooth room speaker (not headphones). You did some mighty awesome reading and charater voices there, Ben (more on that later), but the low parts were barely audible. This could easily be avoided by recording at a higher volume or using the Amplify Effect after recording, then using Compression on the whole file, which tamps down the hottest parts and leaves the rest completely alone. Used together, these two effects solve the "too quiet" and "too loud" problem!

I hope you don't mind, but I experimented on this file thus:
Grab whole file.
Effect/Amplify +4
Effect/Compressior -13, -40, 2.:1, .10, 1, nothng checked
This checks out at 88.9 db -- not too hot, not too cold, just right. :mrgreen:

I uploaded the altered file here for you to listen to. Have a look at the wave form while you listen, compare to the original, and let me know what you think.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/moonface_04ampcompress_london_128kb.mp3
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: June 9th, 2022, 11:32 am PL Notes 04

13:41 and 28:43, you say Simms, everywhere else you say Symes (rhymes with Times).
I don't think you meant 28:43 since the file length isn't that long. :). I've fixed everything else except the second time code on the Symes mispronunciation. What was the time on that?

Also I've tried that compressor before but it still leads to distortion at peak volumes. I did mess around with a few different effects though and it looks like Loudness Normalization may be the way to go.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oops. 26:43

It's easy enough to find by doing a search for Symes on the IA book. It lists each iteration, and this one was within seconds of the end.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:43 pm Oops. 26:43

It's easy enough to find by doing a search for Symes on the IA book. It lists each iteration, and this one was within seconds of the end.
Ok, everything should be fixed and the volume has been boosted.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 4 is PL OK. Volume looks more uniform throughout. :thumbs:

Using Checker, volume now reads 90.5, within range, but much hotter than the previous chapters which are more like 86. Whatever you do to one file, I recommend you do to the others as well. We don't want people reaching for their volume knobs chapter by chapter while listening to our masterpieces. :shock:

You do have Checker, right? If not, you can download it here.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: June 9th, 2022, 2:11 pm Section 4 is PL OK. Volume looks more uniform throughout. :thumbs:

Using Checker, volume now reads 90.5, within range, but much hotter than the previous chapters which are more like 86. Whatever you do to one file, I recommend you do to the others as well. We don't want people reaching for their volume knobs chapter by chapter while listening to our masterpieces. :shock:

You do have Checker, right? If not, you can download it here.
Ya, I do. I was planning to go back and adjust the volume on the previous three chapters when I get time. I'm just prioritizing editing the chapters I've already recorded first (I've actually got nearly the whole book recorded save for two sections of Planchette... just need to find time to edit all them).
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Also I just boosted the volume on the first three sections. They should all be between 88 and 90 db now. Hopefully that'll sound more consistent.