COMPLETE: History of the Pelop. War, by Thucydides - NF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cberrius

Post by cberrius »

Perhaps misguided, perhaps misplaced. :D But that's the real joy of the web: you have a party and eventually everyone wanders through. Including people who think reading Thucydides is fun.

Berry
kri

Post by kri »

This was an errant post by LectorLance
I would liike to volunteer for Book 4 chapters 12 through 14.
cberrius

Post by cberrius »

Lance, didn't see your post until it was moved over here and am not sure when you made your claim, so sorry if I've grabbed your favorite bit.

I have done chapter 12 but would be happy to give 13 & 14 to you. I am guessing that at least a few of the currently claimed chapters are actually available, but maybe Hugh has heard from folks.

Berry
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi cberrius & lector ... i've been a bit negligent on this project ... so cberrius got ch 12; lector gets 13-14 ... and I thnk there will be some more chaps up for adoption soon if you guys would like to do more.

pls let me know if you would like to do more! :)

cheers.
cberrius

Post by cberrius »

Here's the link for chapter 12

http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1Y0J7ZFIRVMIW3P1U67PBJ8EBW

I did some editing for lip-smacking and breath-sucking, and think I got the Audacity settings right. I am not sure about the volume levels (still fiddling with different microphone possibilities), but I think it's OK. I would love some feedback, if folks have the time.

Berry
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Just for the record, I generally leave the lip smacking and breath sucking in. I think it gives the recordings a more human sound.

But maybe I'm just weird... ;)
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

no comment ;)
cberrius

Post by cberrius »

Well, given that I wasn't real thorough in the editing process I think there will be plenty for all to enjoy. :D

Berry
Dragoness

Post by Dragoness »

I'm new at the Librivox thing- I've lurked here for ages, but have a bit fat case of "what if I suck?" and anyway, I tend to sound like I'm roughly six years old. That said, I think y'all are doing a great thing.
rfrancis wrote:Thucydides is drier than any but perhaps Xenophon
I object! What are you talking about, rfrancis? Thucydides makes Xenophon seem like Tom-friggin-Clancy! There are some wonderful parts, but the in-between bits are long, and dull, and labyrinthine, and loaded with names, and, frankly, boring; and, unfortunately, it's about 75% in-between bits.

All that said, I love Thucydides. I'm a former ancient history major, though I'm more a Rome/Byzantium girl, and Thucydides is an extraordinarily influential peice of writing with incredibly significant things to say beyond merely the context of the greek polis.

So the upshot is that if y'all don't mind someone who sounds like she's six, I'd love to take a chapter. I'm not entirely clear on what's taken right now and what isn't, so please do assign me something. I really think we can get this thing finished- it's a good thing to do. (Garsh this was a long and somewhat pretentious-seeming post)
cberrius

Post by cberrius »

Welcome! And pretentious is OK by me, especially since I agree with you on Thucydides vs. Xenophon. I like the Anabasis, but it's the history of one campaign...Thucydides is the History of War, which is a very different project.

I'm also unclear on who's doing what and have been meaning to send some private messages to find out. Thanks for the encouragement in that regard.

Berry
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi there dragoness .... I've sort of inherited management of this project & don't pay enough attention to it! sorry, only just saw your comments now.

let me do another run at figuring out where people are on this & I'll post again soon.
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

hugh wrote:hi there dragoness .... I've sort of inherited management of this project & don't pay enough attention to it! sorry, only just saw your comments now.

let me do another run at figuring out where people are on this & I'll post again soon.
Hugh,

You should give away my two remaining chapters. I've stalled on this one more than long enough. I'm doing my best to not vanish from Librivox entirely, which means prioritizing, which means Thucydides will continue to lose, so, please.

I stand by what I said about Xenophon being deadly dull, by the way. :)

Cheers,

Random
[url=http://www.pendantaudio.com/bios/rfrancis.html]me[/url]
Dragoness

Post by Dragoness »

I'm really really sorry if I'm stepping on anybody's toes here, but no-one seems to know what's up with this project.

The current situation, as far as I can tell:

Chapter 1-8
This is listed as Done by Ryan, but I see no link to files.

Chapter 9- Dragoness

Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 12- Cberrius gave an expired yousendit link.

Chapter 13- LectorLance
Chapter 14- LectorLance

Chapter 15-20
These are listed as Done by Cmd2003, but I see no link.

Chapter 21-23- AlexF

Chapter 24- http://www.archive.org/details/ThucydidesThePeloponnesianWarbook8ch24 - Ianish
Chapter 25- http://www.archive.org/details/ThePeloponnesianWarbook8ch25_0 - Ianish
Chapter 26- Ianish.

1. We need to hear from LectorLance and Ianish as to whether their chapters are orphans.

2. AlexF said "I have a huge chunk of this sitting on a harddrive waiting for me to finish it. I can't guarantee it'll be any time soon, but I don't want to waste the work I've already done."

I know, it sucks to waste work. Alex, have you started bits of all these chapters, or could you just keep the ones you've already worked on and orphan the other one or two?

3. I've taken chapter 9 (The Mytilene incident, if I remember correctly- it may take awhile), so 10 and 11 are up for grabs.

4. Does anyone have the files from Ryan, Cberrius, and Cmd2003? LibraryLady seems to be the MC, maybe she has them?

I'll send a quick PM asking people to check this thread. Again, I really really apologize to Hugh or LibraryLady if I've stepped on toes!

Justine
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Funny you should post just now! An hour ago Hugh has asked me to take over as Book Coordinator, so I'll be sorting this whole thing out in the next day or so. I'll post here when it's done and will update the readers' list etc.

Thanks Dragoness for your work, that'll help! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

ok let me do a full status report on what I have and what we got. spread among 3 computers. thanks for hoisting the pelopponesian flag!