The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides. Translated by Richard Crawley.
01 May 2006: Gesine is taking over as Book Coordinator, as Hugh is very busy with other things just now.
- How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are ?up for grabs.? Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you?d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
- New to recording?
Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Is there a deadline?
Target completion date of this project: 30 June 2006 ? but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it?ll go back to the pool. There?s no shame in this; we?re all volunteers and things happen.
Please post progress updates here every now and then, but definitely before 15 June!
- Where do I find the text?
Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7142
Reader list last updated: 01 August 2006, 2155GMT+2
Sections claimed: 26 of 26 (100%)
Sections done: 26 of 26 (100%)
Completed chapters can be found here: http://librivox.gesine.org/coordination/peloponnesian/
Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 01
Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 02
Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 03
Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 04
Ryan - Book 1 Chapter 05
Ryan - Book 2 Chapter 06
Ryan - Book 2 Chapter 07
Ryan - Book 2 Chapter 08
cdm2003 - Book 3 Chapter 09
Caeristhiona - Book 3 Chapter 10
cberrius - Book 3 Chapter 11
cberrius - Book 4 Chapter 12
cberrius - Book 4 Chapter 13
cberrius - Book 4 Chapter 14
cdm2003 - Book 5 Chapter 15
cdm2003 - Book 5 Chapter 16
cdm2003 - Book 5 Chapter 17
cdm2003 - Book 6 Chapter 18
cdm2003 - Book 6 Chapter 19
cdm2003 - Book 6 Chapter 20
VictoriaVipere - Book 7 Chapter 21
Deborah177 - Book 7 Chapter 22
Caeristhiona - Book 7 Chapter 23
ianish - Book 8 Chapter 24
ianish - Book 8 Chapter 25
ianish - Book 8 Chapter 26
- BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
1. 44.1KHz is the default sample rate in lots of software. We like getting files at this rate.
2. Some know-it-all told us that 32KHz sounds better. If you know how, try to use this rate.
3. We want to make this easy, so we'll take any rate from 22 to 44.1KHz, if you need us to.
4. Please don't use 48KHz or anything under 22KHz. If you accidentally send us something at these rates, our uploaders will resample it for you and advise you on how to record at a sample rate we can use. Don't worry, your work will never be wasted!
- DURING recording:
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
- "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
- If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
"The History of the Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides. Translated by Richard Crawley. Book [number], chapter(s) [number(s)]"
End of recording
- At the end of the section, say:
?End of Book [number], chapter(s) [number(s)]"
- At the end of the whole book, say (in addition):
"End of The History of the Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides, and translated by Richard Crawley."
Please leave a couple of seconds silence at the end of your recording!
Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording:
Save files as
128 kbps MP3 , following this pattern:
ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use ? if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message).
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or emailed via http://yousendit.com to: justgesine AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk (if you use yousendit, please post the resulting link in this thread), or uploaded to my ftp server (PM me for details).
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
- If you are not listed here: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ListOfReadersCatalogNames I'll need your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your webpage URL (if applicable)
- the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Please post below or PM me.