[COMPLETE] The Voyage of the Beagle - Charles Darwin - NF/ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

alanclare wrote:Yes please. As an Englishman, it was the "Falkland Islands" which caught my attention.
Could I try the start and ask you for an opinion?
Absolutely, many times we suggest that people new to recording send a sample recording of 1 - 1.5 minutes to make sure that the volume is good and that there aren't other issues. For example, inhalations and lip-popping are very common - I use a headset mic and move it as far away from my face as I can, to reduce unintended facial noises.

It is much easier to get the recording done properly the first time than to return and try to edit out mistakes! Feel free to either ftp the file to studioae.com or email it directly to me - whichever works best for you. More details on both means can be found in the first post of this thread.

Funny story about the Falkland Islands: I have a good friend who, during the time of the Britain/Argentina stand-off, printed up loads of bumper stickers reading, "Don't Falk with me Argentina!" a la Evita. He spotted one not long ago on an ancient automobile somewhere way out in the sticks on a trip to the UK.

Maybe you just had to be there...

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
alerch

Post by alerch »

Hello I have been a member for a year today and have yet to contribute anything useful (other than listening to a bunch of the great work already done) so I thought I would like to take a chapter from the voyage of the beagle to read.

I was thinking # 38 part one of New Zealand and Tahiti and if this goes well I'll try some more.

Thanks

Alex
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

alerch wrote:Hello I have been a member for a year today and have yet to contribute anything useful (other than listening to a bunch of the great work already done) so I thought I would like to take a chapter from the voyage of the beagle to read.

I was thinking # 38 part one of New Zealand and Tahiti and if this goes well I'll try some more.

Thanks

Alex
Happy 1st LV Anniversary Alex!

We'd be most pleased if you would join us in our explorations of South America. Section 38 is in your hands.

Often, we suggest, as I stated in the post above, that people new to recording send a sample recording of 1 - 1.5 minutes to make sure that the volume is good and that there aren't other issues. For example, inhalations and lip-popping are very common - I use a headset mic and move it as far away from my face as I can, to reduce unintended facial noises.

It is much easier to get the recording done properly the first time than to return and try to edit out mistakes! Feel free to either ftp the file to studioae.com or email it directly to me - whichever works best for you. More details on both means can be found in the first post of this thread.

Also, how would you like your name/pseudonym to appear in the LV catalog? We can also include a link to a personal website/blog, if you choose.

In any case, thanks for your help!

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
alerch

Post by alerch »

I will send you a short clip of my recording as well you can just list me as Alex L. , I have no Website or blog... :(

Alex
alanclare

Post by alanclare »

May I take Karen up on her offer of an audio file of Spanish pronunciations please?
To kick off with:
Santa Cruz; Codillera; Buenos Ayres; St. Julian; St. Jago

Is there a case that as the book is written in the first person, the words might be pronounced as Darwin would have said them?

Alan
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

alanclare wrote:Is there a case that as the book is written in the first person, the words might be pronounced as Darwin would have said them?
Hi Alan,

I believe that most people, myself included, simply read and pronounce their texts as they are most comfortable, rather than attempt to emulate the voice or intonation of the author. Fortunately, you have the advantage of sharing native soil!

Scott
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

alanclare wrote:May I take Karen up on her offer of an audio file of Spanish pronunciations please?
To kick off with:
No problem. I'll record them for you later today (as I'm currently at work).
Karen S.
alanclare

Post by alanclare »

I've recorded a paragraph and put it at:
www.aclare.talktalk.net/beagle_test_acc.mp3
Criticism appreciated.
I can do Welsh pronunciation if required (useful in Patagonia - true).
Alan
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

alanclare wrote:I've recorded a paragraph and put it at:
www.aclare.talktalk.net/beagle_test_acc.mp3
Criticism appreciated.
I can do Welsh pronunciation if required (useful in Patagonia - true).
Alan
Alan-

WOW! Great voice, cadence, and intonation! No sign of aspiration or labial percussives at all.

The only bit that I would suggest ironing out is the noise removal process. You may notice that there's a bit of a metallic echo that surrounds your recorded voice after removing the noise. I don't know what software you are using to record and edit the tracks, but Audacity (a free, open-source recording software for Mac/Win that most LibriVox volunteers use) has a new version out which fantastic, much improved noise removal! So if you can detect some background noise in your recordings (listen with headphones), head over to this thread, where all is revealed!

Thanks!
Scott
Arouet

Post by Arouet »

I would like 26 and 27 (both halves of chapter 13), if I may.
I'm glad this got requested, I like Darwin. I have a Darwin fish on my car, xD
"You are irresistibly determined to reason badly, and you fulfill your destiny as I do mine."
~Francois-Marie Arouet
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Arouet wrote:I would like 26 and 27 (both halves of chapter 13), if I may.
I'm glad this got requested, I like Darwin. I have a Darwin fish on my car, xD
Absolutely, they're yours!

Thanks!
Scott
Arouet

Post by Arouet »

one question:
I see that the text has notes after each chapter; what is the general practice with these? Should I read them after the text, or where the note is marked in the chapter, or omit them altogether?
Sorry, this is only my fourth recording, I'm still kind of new.
"You are irresistibly determined to reason badly, and you fulfill your destiny as I do mine."
~Francois-Marie Arouet
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Arouet wrote:one question:
I see that the text has notes after each chapter; what is the general practice with these? Should I read them after the text, or where the note is marked in the chapter, or omit them altogether?
Sorry, this is only my fourth recording, I'm still kind of new.
For this project, we're reading the footnotes where they are referenced in the text. However, you are welcome to omit any footnotes that are simply bibliographical references; the other more informative ones, should be included in the appropriate place in the text - preferably at the end of the sentence in which they appear.

Thanks for asking!

Scott
Xrystabelle

Post by Xrystabelle »

Hi, could I take on both parts of chapter 14? Those're sections 28 and 29.

Thanks!!

Christie
Christie Nowak
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

alanclare wrote:May I take Karen up on her offer of an audio file of Spanish pronunciations please?
To kick off with:

Is there a case that as the book is written in the first person, the words might be pronounced as Darwin would have said them?

Alan
I've put the file here: http://librivox.karenrsavage.com/pronunciations.mp3
Karen S.