[COMPLETE] The Voyage of the Beagle - Charles Darwin - NF/ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

rtperson wrote:On the footnotes, I completely agree with Rowen. Read them when they're interesting, skip them when they simply reference a work. On Chapter 3, I said "footnote" and "end footnote" to indicate when the footnote begins and ends. What do other people do?
I read 'em all in Chapter 1, but that's just my neurotic compulsive side showing through!

Scott
GaryG48

Post by GaryG48 »

I PL'd the "Author's Preface" and found three very small repeats:

@ 1:04.0 "we"
@ 1:08.3 "be"
@ 2:37.6 "treasury"

none of these are significant, I leave it to the reader to decide if he wishes to edit them out.
--Gary
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

GaryG48 wrote:I PL'd the "Author's Preface" and found three very small repeats
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the ears! The more pairs we have, the easier it'll be for everyone.

Cheers!
Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Chapter 17 Part 1 is uploading now, should be there in about 10 minutes 25.8MB :) Must say that was hard work, I stumbled a lot, but still first bits done. :)

And then I realised (just as it finished up loading) that I'd forgotten how to count Roman numerals... its 17 Chapter 17! not 16 that I was recording... (Why did i bold 17 up top? because I originally put 16 up there.... *sigh* I think I'm losing it :P)

Anyway the first bit of the Galapagos Archipelago (with fixed intro's and outro's for Chapter 17, it is Chapter 17 right?) is almost up.
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Section 13 Chapter VII Part 1 uploaded to the project folder on the server. Part 2 is recorded but still needs to be edited.
Jo
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Rowen! Jo!

Thanks for the sections! Can't wait to hear all about the Galapagos, no matter what chapter its in! :lol:

I've finished recording Chapter 1 - as one file. I was thinking that single readers over whole chapters could be edited into a single file (I could do this if need be), while multiple readers in a chapter should be kept as separate files.

Does anyone have any input/insight that would contradict or support this position?

Lotsa luv!
Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I agree Scott, as long as the chapter isn't excessively long. When I edit the second half of chapter VII, I can combine the two into a single file. I expect it will come in around 45 minutes total.

Jo
Jo
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:I agree Scott, as long as the chapter isn't excessively long. When I edit the second half of chapter VII, I can combine the two into a single file. I expect it will come in around 45 minutes total.

Jo
We definitely don't want the files to be excessively long.

The problem with that comes when you stop halfway through and then need to find your place again.
I once (only once) sat with my finger on the fast forward of my mp3 player for five minutes trying to get to where I'd left off last time... until my finger slipped and it went to the next track. At which point I gave up and decided to wait until I got home to listen on my computer instead.
Karen S.
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:I agree Scott, as long as the chapter isn't excessively long. When I edit the second half of chapter VII, I can combine the two into a single file. I expect it will come in around 45 minutes total.

Jo
Chapter 1 was recorded straight through and came to about 50 minutes, pre-editing. With all my flubs, it'll come down significantly to about 45...

On that note, how long is too long for a single file?

Scott
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Scott,

It needs to be able to fit burned to a CD so 70 minutes would be the absolute max. Personally I think it is probably best to try to keep them under 50 minutes. When I am dividing up a long piece I usually shoot for 30-40 minutes per section especially if the material is challenging or dense. :) (Not that this project fits that criteria of course. :wink: )

Jo
Jo
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

I have to say I personally prefer sections to be at most between 30 to 40 mins long. It find it just makes listening easier.
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Rowen wrote:I have to say I personally prefer sections to be at most between 30 to 40 mins long. It find it just makes listening easier.
Thanks for the input you two! The longer chapters will likely be broken up in that case, but that's something that can easily be tweaked later on.

Scott
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Chapter 1 is done! Yay!

47:02 in duration. Uploading in process.

Scott
ZachBG

Post by ZachBG »

not.a.moose wrote: Title: ##-* - [Chapter Title]
Artist: Darwin
Album: The Voyage of the Beagle
I just want to confirm--do you really want the author name to be just "Darwin," as opposed to "Charles Darwin"?
ZachBG's Orphanage: rescuing orphaned chapters since 2006! PM me if you have an urchin on your doorstep.

http://www.zachbg.com. My greatest hit.
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

ZachBG wrote:
not.a.moose wrote: Title: ##-* - [Chapter Title]
Artist: Darwin
Album: The Voyage of the Beagle
I just want to confirm--do you really want the author name to be just "Darwin," as opposed to "Charles Darwin"?
Ah! True that! It should be "Charles Darwin"

Thanks for pointing that out!