[COMPLETE] The Voyage of the Beagle - Charles Darwin - NF/ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ZachBG

Post by ZachBG »

May I have 46 and 47, please? Thanks.
ZachBG's Orphanage: rescuing orphaned chapters since 2006! PM me if you have an urchin on your doorstep.

http://www.zachbg.com. My greatest hit.
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

ZachBG wrote:May I have 46 and 47, please? Thanks.
Of course! They are in your capable hands...

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

- Information regarding footnotes -

I've been thinking about how to record the footnotes in these chapters... I am of the opinion that the notes should be recorded more or less in place. Please read them at the end of the sentences in which the footnote references appear.

Thanks!

Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

not.a.moose wrote:- Information regarding footnotes -

I've been thinking about how to record the footnotes in these chapters... I am of the opinion that the notes should be recorded more or less in place. Please read them at the end of the sentences in which the footnote references appear.

Thanks!

Scott
I've added this to the top post.
Karen S.
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

With the footnotes are we just reading relevant ones? I mean if its just referring to a book by someone else its not really necessary?

Also near the end of my section I have a table, erm I'd post it here but it doesn't format right, so you'll probably need to check the Gutenberg text, anyway, Any suggestions as to HOW I'd read that? :/
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Rowen wrote:With the footnotes are we just reading relevant ones? I mean if its just referring to a book by someone else its not really necessary?

Also near the end of my section I have a table, erm I'd post it here but it doesn't format right, so you'll probably need to check the Gutenberg text, anyway, Any suggestions as to HOW I'd read that? :/
Hi Rowen,

I'm right with you on the footnotes... The book references were a bit reason for my internal debate on whether to include the darned things or not. Solution: do what makes you happy. It honestly wouldn't bother me (or the audience) if they were omitted. If you feel the need to be thorough, go for it.

As for the tables, I would simply try to read them in any way that makes sense verbally... I'm being lazy and not looking up the text to provide suggestions, but I trust you!

Scott
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Scott,

I am assuming that St. Fe should be pronounced Saint Fey (as in Santa Fe) and not Saint Fee. Do you agree?

Jo
Jo
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:Scott,

I am assuming that St. Fe should be pronounced Saint Fey (as in Santa Fe) and not Saint Fee. Do you agree?

Jo
Actually, Jo, it should be Santa Fe; regardless of how Darwin may have abbreviated it, the place in Argentina is not Saint Fe. :)
Karen S.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Ah - that explains why I couldn't find it anywhere!
Jo
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

Scott,

Dang! I look away for a few days, and everything starts without me. Sign me up for parts 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, and 12. I'll take on more later if I need to.

Roger
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

Never mind -- I added myself. Onward!

Roger
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Hi, I can do 41 & 42 :)

Lucy
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

Hi Lucy, welcome aboard! I put you down for those sections.

Roger
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Hi Roger!

Welcome back! I hope that your move is going well.

Now that you're here, I'd like to introduce you to everyone. Roger, this is everyone. Everyone, Roger - he's the co-BC and the reason that this project got under way!

Now, what do you think about the recording of footnotes? I'll refer you to the preceding discussion, cuz I just don't want to type out the whole thing here...

Now that that's done - HI LUCY!!!

Welcome to the Beagle. The Aussie chapter is yours! Have fun with it!

Scott
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

Hi Scott,

The move is going. It's not done yet, and I may lose my internet connection next week, but I will keep my hand in as much as possible.

On the footnotes, I completely agree with Rowen. Read them when they're interesting, skip them when they simply reference a work. On Chapter 3, I said "footnote" and "end footnote" to indicate when the footnote begins and ends. What do other people do?

Roger