COMPLETE: Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir A. Conan Doyle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Here you are:
Section 01 - repeat at 02:00 "had interested me deeply in crime"
Section 02 - repeat at 15:35 "alright, Mrs. Hadson. I am much abliged for your assistance."
Sections 3-4, 9-10, 17-18 are all OK. :D
And I will listen to 21-22 later today.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Whoa, with bonus proofed chapters, even! Thanks, Kikisaulite! I'll get those notes in the box later with the chapter links.

I agree, it's not too much of a hardship listening to Holmes stories, is it? :D
Laurie Anne
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

I agree, it's not too much of a hardship listening to Holmes stories, is it?
It's a pure pleasure!!! :D
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Ken Theriot

Post by Ken Theriot »

Laurie Anne,

OK....drum roll please:). Here is my very first submission! It is Part 1 of The Abbey Grange. I wanted to send it before I finished part 2 because I want to make sure I solve any systemic quality problems before I continue. I couldn't get entirely happy with the plosives. It sounded fine in my recording software. But in Windows Media Player, it sounded "bass-ier." Oh well. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

I FTP'd it to your "return of holmes" folder. The url is: http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/chocoholic/ReturnOfHolmes/returnofholmes_23_doyle.mp3

Also, since this is my first time, here is the additional information you requested:

- Name/pseudonym for catalog: Ken Theriot (though my wife did the female voices;))
- Catalog URL: http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1570
- File Size: 26.4 MB
- Duration: 28 minutes 53 seconds

Hope I did everything right!

Ken
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

It sounds wonderfull Ken! It just sounds like it was meant to be read in that Brittish accent. :lol: Fantastic recording!! (I'll leave the technical stuff for your MC :wink: )
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Ken Theriot

Post by Ken Theriot »

Thanks Starlight!

Ken
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Ken! Oh, I so wish I had time to listen to the whole thing tonight. It sounds terrific! I wouldn't worry about any plosives, the little bit I had time for was just fine.

Two technical things:

-- Needs 5 seconds of silence at end. (This is because some listeners' players cut off the ends of the files.) Would you mind adding that and reuploading? You can just tell the server to overwrite the existing file. (General note: files over 30 min need 10 seconds of silence.)

-- Let's get your wife credited in the catalog. :) Having two readers for a section is routinely done, no problem at all. The easiest way is for her to register with a forum name, then I can add a catalog name and/or URL like I did for you. It doesn't matter if she ever actually posts in the forums... though I really hope she does! I caught a little bit of her part on my quick listen. (Lisa, if you're reading this -- please do keep recording!)

And one unrelated thing while I'm here: I'll be taking care of the edits for sections 1 and 2, so when the notes eventually change to PL-OK for those sections, there will be a reason.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Actually, Ken, now that my brain is back in gear, why don't you wait on adding the silence to the end until the prooflistening is done -- then if there are any other edits you can do them all at once.
Laurie Anne
LisaTheriot

Post by LisaTheriot »

Thanks Laurie Anne! I went ahead and registered Lisa. I'm actually posting from her log-in right now.

And it will be no problem at all to add the silence. I knew I'd forget something.

Thanks again!

Ken
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

LisaTheriot is in. :)
Laurie Anne
Ken Theriot

Post by Ken Theriot »

Laurie Anne,

I have a page number question. I'm looking at the on-line version of The Abbey Grange, and it starts on page 214. But the assignments page in this thread shows it starting on page 196. Are there two different on-line versions?

The reason I didn't notice before is that I went ahead an printed the download version, which has no page numbers. But I wanted to refer to a typo in the Gutenberg version (both download and on-line) by page number. On page 222 of the Gutenberg it says "if I had examined everything with care which I would have shown..." It didn't make sense to me when I was reading, so I went to our hard-copy to double-check. As I suspected, it should have read: "if I had examined everything with the care which I would have shown..." that missing "the" makes the syntax incorrect. How does one go about reporting such things?

Thanks!

Ken
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Ken, Gutenberg does indeed have two different versions of the Return. The link in the first post goes to one of them; you must be on the other one. It shouldn't matter. I checked that sentence and it's the same in both of them, and it's also written that way (without the extra "the") in my own copy. I agree that it makes more sense to have the "the," but I guess it has been printed without it in some editions. I have no clue which way Conan Doyle originally wrote it, so I suppose the proper thing to do is to read it as it is in Gutenberg and contact them about a possible text error (if you feel like it). However, since we at LibriVox strive for 99% accuracy or whatever (giving plenty of wiggle room), I will be happy with whichever way you read it. :D Obviously you can't (as a general rule) change words in a PD text just because you like your own way better, but in this case it doesn't change the meaning at all, so it's no problem. (I've changed words before when they were obvious typos in Gutenberg, too -- bog for dog, that sort of thing.) It would be interesting to know which way is indeed the correct way -- interesting in a nerdy way, that is. :)

Side note -- I wonder if all of us on this project have our own texts sitting around.
Laurie Anne
Ken Theriot

Post by Ken Theriot »

Laurie Anne,

The version I have is from "The Complete Sherlock Holmes Treasury," which is actually "a facsimile of the original publications in Strand Magazine, 1901-1905." It seems we have a mystery on our hands:). I know that there are fanatical Sherlockians out there who can answer definitively what was in the "canon," and what was not. I'm not sure who is the final arbiter of what get's corrected at Gutenberg though, in case there actually is a transcription error somewhere. Do you know?

Ken
ZachBG

Post by ZachBG »

Well, in the original Strand publication (I have a facsmile thereof), the "the" is indeed there. So, in a nerdy way, there you have it. :D

edit: Aw, Ken, you beat me to it!
ZachBG's Orphanage: rescuing orphaned chapters since 2006! PM me if you have an urchin on your doorstep.

http://www.zachbg.com. My greatest hit.
Ken Theriot

Post by Ken Theriot »

Thanks Zach! It seems that most, if not all, on-line versions come from the same source, which is clearly in error. I have gone to several sites which host .txt versions, and so far all of them (admittedly a small sample size of 4) have this error. Not sure what to do from here though.

Ken