[Complete]Logic by John Stuart Mill - loa

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hello Penelope.
I finished recording the ninety-four sections of John Stuart Mill around April 24th, and Krista is now proof-listening somewhere around Section 88, so she too is getting towards the end.
We still have a few sections with Greek text for which I need to record the Greek. Those sections are 55, 60, 68, 74, 76, 78, 80, 81, and 86.
If you are still in a position to record those segments so that I can try them out, we would be grateful.

I have placed a document at http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Downloads/GreekForSectionsAre5560687476788081And86.rtf
That document has the text only for the sections 55, 60, 68, 74, 76, 78, 80, 81, and 86.
Within each section, any paragraph that contains Greek Text is identified by double red lines at the left-hand side of the paragraph.
Within such paragraphs the Greek text appears in red font.

As always, the definitive text is at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/27942/27942-h/27942-h.htm

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Cheers, Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
pvmg

Post by pvmg »

Hi Chris
I can do it!
Penelope
pvmg

Post by pvmg »

Hello Chris

I used your numbers of pages in mp3. I hope you can use it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/Greek_for_sections.mp3

τύχη……………………………..tihi(page4)
τὸ αὐτομάτον……………………………………… to aftόmaton(page4)
ἀγεωμέτρητος……………….ageometritos(page13)
Αρσενίκον……………………………………arsenicόn(page21)
ὀπὸς……………………………………………..όpos(page22)
ἐλαύνω………………………………………elavno(page22)
Θεός………………………………………….theos(page24)
Ποιητής……………………………….piitis(page24)
εὐφήμει……………………………………………………………efimi(page31)
Μαλόεις, Μαλοέντος……………………malois,maloentos(page31)
τὸ ὄν, τὸ ἔν …………………………..to on, to en (page39)
κίνησις , ἀλλοίωσις…….kinisis , aliosis (page62)

τὸ ὄν, τὸ ἕν, τὸ ὅμοιον……………………………………….to on, to en, to omion(page69)
ἔξω τοῦ πράγματος……………………exo tu pragmatos (page83)

Penelope

ChrisGreaves wrote: July 16th, 2022, 1:12 pm Hello Penelope.
I finished recording the ninety-four sections of John Stuart Mill around April 24th, and Krista is now proof-listening somewhere around Section 88, so she too is getting towards the end.
We still have a few sections with Greek text for which I need to record the Greek. Those sections are 55, 60, 68, 74, 76, 78, 80, 81, and 86.
If you are still in a position to record those segments so that I can try them out, we would be grateful.

I have placed a document at http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Downloads/GreekForSectionsAre5560687476788081And86.rtf
That document has the text only for the sections 55, 60, 68, 74, 76, 78, 80, 81, and 86.
Within each section, any paragraph that contains Greek Text is identified by double red lines at the left-hand side of the paragraph.
Within such paragraphs the Greek text appears in red font.

As always, the definitive text is at https://www.gutenberg.org/files/27942/27942-h/27942-h.htm

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Cheers, Chris
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

ChrisGreaves wrote: July 15th, 2022, 9:01 am

Cheers, Chris

76,83,85,87 are all PL OK now, as is 88
Krista
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Thank you, Penelope. I have downloaded the file and will begin work on it tomorrow, I hope. This morning either one or two walls gets ripped out of my office, so the noise level will not be conducive to recording anywhere in the house!
Cheers, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

kristakz wrote: July 19th, 2022, 5:42 pm 76,83,85,87 are all PL OK now, as is 88
Thank you Krista.
Cheers, Chris
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

section 89 is PL OK :thumbs:
Krista
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

section 90:

18:00 - repeated line (and a clap) "and often preponderates over, the local causes, "
20:12 - I hear "separation of this position of the social phenomena ", text says "separation of this portion of the social phenomena "
31:15 - missing end quote" after "to issue from varying premises"
33:55 - I hear "laws must be drawn, onwhich the truths ", text says "laws must be drawn, of which the truths "
Krista
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Section 91 is PL OK :thumbs:
Krista
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

kristakz wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:20 pm section 90: 18:00 - repeated line (and a clap) "and often preponderates over, the local causes, "
20:12 - I hear "separation of this position of the social phenomena ", text says "separation of this portion of the social phenomena "
33:55 - I hear "laws must be drawn, onwhich the truths ", text says "laws must be drawn, of which the truths "
Krista, thanks for this (also 89, 91, ...)

Sunday, July 31, 2022section 90:

18:00 - repeated line (and a clap)
"and often preponderates over, the local causes, "
17:59 deleted the clap and repeated text

20:12 - I hear "separation of this position
of the social phenomena ", text says "separation of this portion of the social phenomena "
20:05-20:24 re-recorded "The motive which suggests the separation of this portion of the social phenomena from the rest, and the creation of a distinct branch of science relating to them is—that they do mainly depend, at least in the first resort, on one class of circumstances only;" and included the emphasis on mainly.

31:05-31:13 I have recorded an EndQuote because I could not find an existing EndQuote to paste in and match the acoustics.

33:55 - I hear "laws must be drawn, on which the truths ", text says "laws must be drawn, of which the truths "
33:44-34:00 re-recorded "Nor is this wonderful, when we consider the infant state of the science of Ethology itself, from whence the laws must be drawn, of which the truths of political ethology can be but results and exemplifications. "

A natural consequence of increasing the window glass area in a nine-foot by ten-foot study from 725 square inches to 5,610 square inches and removing all but three bookcases - is a change in acoustics.
The editing notes above refer to two distinct files which I have uploaded:-
(1) logicjohnstuartmill_90_mill_128kb_study.mp3 (51:36)
(2) logicjohnstuartmill_90_mill_128kb_bedroom.mp3 (51:37)
You will gather that I am not happy recording in my study. (The bedroom glass area has, so far, increased only from 725 to 2,805 square inches and maintains its full complement of bed-spread)
I think that the second edited recording is preferable, and if you agree, I shall make the remaining edits, including Greek, in that environment.

I have not modified the Magic Window.

Acoustics will not prevent me, once this is posted, beginning work on the remaining Greek recordings for Penelope's PLing; I will make those recordings in the sound-deadened bedroom.

Cheers, Chris
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

ChrisGreaves wrote: July 31st, 2022, 2:26 am
kristakz wrote: July 28th, 2022, 7:20 pm section 90: 18:00 - repeated line (and a clap) "and often preponderates over, the local causes, "
Krista, thanks for this (also 89, 91, ...)

Sunday, July 31, 2022section 90:

18:00 - repeated line (and a clap)
"and often preponderates over, the local causes, "
17:59 deleted the clap and repeated text

20:12 - I hear "separation of this position
of the social phenomena ", text says "separation of this portion of the social phenomena "
20:05-20:24 re-recorded "The motive which suggests the separation of this portion of the social phenomena from the rest, and the creation of a distinct branch of science relating to them is—that they do mainly depend, at least in the first resort, on one class of circumstances only;" and included the emphasis on mainly.

31:05-31:13 I have recorded an EndQuote because I could not find an existing EndQuote to paste in and match the acoustics.

33:55 - I hear "laws must be drawn, on which the truths ", text says "laws must be drawn, of which the truths "
33:44-34:00 re-recorded "Nor is this wonderful, when we consider the infant state of the science of Ethology itself, from whence the laws must be drawn, of which the truths of political ethology can be but results and exemplifications. "

A natural consequence of increasing the window glass area in a nine-foot by ten-foot study from 725 square inches to 5,610 square inches and removing all but three bookcases - is a change in acoustics.
The editing notes above refer to two distinct files which I have uploaded:-
(1) logicjohnstuartmill_90_mill_128kb_study.mp3 (51:36)
(2) logicjohnstuartmill_90_mill_128kb_bedroom.mp3 (51:37)
You will gather that I am not happy recording in my study. (The bedroom glass area has, so far, increased only from 725 to 2,805 square inches and maintains its full complement of bed-spread)
I think that the second edited recording is preferable, and if you agree, I shall make the remaining edits, including Greek, in that environment.

I have not modified the Magic Window.

Acoustics will not prevent me, once this is posted, beginning work on the remaining Greek recordings for Penelope's PLing; I will make those recordings in the sound-deadened bedroom.

Cheers, Chris
Wow, I never would have expected such a difference from that change. I agree, the second recording is closer to the original than the first, and thus preferable for this purpose.
Krista
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

pvmg wrote: July 18th, 2022, 9:03 am I used your numbers of pages in mp3. I hope you can use it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/Greek_for_sections.mp3
Hello Penelope,
I have waited all week for a secure quiet interval in which to record these FLAC, and got a real chance this morning.

I have recorded 14 FLAC files but am missing two pronunciations, probably through my failure to highlight.
Referring to the document 'Greek for sections are 55, 60, 68, 74, 76, 78, 80, 81, and 86' we need the pronunciation for;-

Code: Select all

Section,	Page,	Words
74,	31,	The εὐφήμει of the Greeks,
86,	91,	or the Science of Character, from ἦθος, a word more nearly corresponding to the term “character” 
Once I have these, I will record the two extra FLAC files and then merge all 16 files into a single MP3 file which, I hope, your eagle eyes and ears will check, and correct me where you see fit.

I must congratulate you on the excellent way you annotated your recording, and I wish only that my Greek was as good as your English!

Thanks, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

kristakz wrote: July 31st, 2022, 5:21 am Wow, I never would have expected such a difference from that change. I agree, the second recording is closer to the original than the first, and thus preferable for this purpose.
Krista, I agree, and had noted earlier the lengthening of about thirty seconds. My futile hopes that it would escape your notice were far too optimistic. :D

Later today or tomorrow I will go back and do a detailed comparison of the original FLAC (from April 16) and the second FLAC from today, just to see if there is any glaring deletion. [later: It is worse than thirty seconds, because one of the four edits was a deletion, so three edits contributed an extra thirty seconds. I am still cogitating]

I suspect that this morning, in a new environment, posture and so on, I was just reading more slowly. That slowing is amplified when I re-record a complete paragraph - the more text I record at a lower speed, the longer is the time difference.

Cheers, Chris
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Sections 92 & 93 are PL OK :thumbs:
Krista
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

kristakz wrote: August 14th, 2022, 7:07 pm Sections 92 & 93 are PL OK :thumbs:
Hello Krista.

Section 90 appears to be a storm in a tea cup.
I made a detailed examination today and the 2-page document can be obtained from http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Downloads/SaturdayAugust202022.doc
In summary: I looked at seven versions of this section, the one MP3 from the MW, and my two FLAC and one MP3 as "before edits" and "after edits".
The seven tracks range in duration from 00:51:36 to 00:51:39, so what was I talking about when I suggested a difference of 30 seconds?

In the MW I posted 00:51:08, but I now believe that that entry is incorrect, because I see that, downloaded today, it is 00:51:39, which is about the same length +-2 seconds as the tracks from which it was created/uploaded back in April.
It is always possible that I messed up an edit, but to make sure, I compared the file from the Magic Window and my "bedroom" MP3 at and around the four edit points.

Edit Magic Window Bedroom
18:00 - repeated line (and a clap) "and often preponderates over, the local causes, " Good Good
20:12 - I hear "separation of this position of the social phenomena ", text says "separation of this portion of the social phenomena " Good Good
31:15 - missing end quote" after "to issue from varying premises" Good Good
33:55 - I hear "laws must be drawn, on which the truths ", text says "laws must be drawn, of which the truths" Good Good

That is, I cannot find a fault with the edited version; I believe that it does produce the edited audio which you seek, and that there is no extraneous or deleted material causing a 30-second difference in duration.

I believe that I messed up the duration cell in the Magic Window back in April.

I believe that the file for you to check my edits is "logicjohnstuartmill_90_mill_128kb_bedroom.mp3 (51:37)".

If you would prefer that I use that file to overwrite the existing "logicjohnstuartmill_90_mill_128kb.MP3", then let me know and I will do that.

Cheers, Chris