[COMPLETE] Short Stories in Prose and Verse by Henry Lawson - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Short Stories in Prose and Verse, by Henry Lawson (1867 - 1922)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/short-stories-in-prose-and-verse-by-henry-lawson//
Short Stories in Prose and Verse” is Henry Lawson’s first published book (1894); his first published poem appeared in 1887. The volume is a snapshot of his writing style up to the start of his career. His first published poem appeared at age 20, his first published book at age 27.

This volume is a good sample of Henry Lawson’s poetry and prose and makes a good stepping-stone towards the enjoyment of his later works.
Summary by Chris Greaves
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0607911h.html

Target completion date: 2022-02-28

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: oiF4IcM8
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Lawson (Henry Lawson)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1894? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Lawson
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Chris Greaves
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: www.ChrisGreaves.com

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction; Culture & Heritage Fiction; Historical Fiction; Humorous Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Henry Lawson documented the Australian bush life in fiction and poetry.

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Short Stories in Prose and Verse. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Short Stories in Prose and Verse, by Henry Lawson. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Short Stories in Prose and Verse, by Henry Lawson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Short Stories in Prose and Verse, by Henry Lawson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: shortstoriesinproseandverse_##_lawson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. shortstoriesinproseandverse_01_lawson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll MC this for you, just give me time to check sources and things.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The source is undated and PG Australia is a reliable source if LV was Australian - but it is USA, but I've checked it and it will be OK

The URL you chose to add to your catalogue name is freely available to anyone using the catalogue and seems to me to give a heap of information about you that doesn't need to be so freely available - are you sure you want it used?

Anne
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

DPL?

Lomond
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Anne, thank you for helping me out with this project. I hope you know how much you have helped me over the past month.
annise wrote: January 30th, 2022, 3:43 pmThe source is undated and PG Australia is a reliable source if LV was Australian - but it is USA, but I've checked it and it will be OK.
"undated" means that there is no obvious date of publication shown in copies of the book? Is that right? The Wikipedia page shows me a date in "Short Stories in Prose and Verse (1894) - short stories, prose, poetry" but of course we have no idea where that date came from. I suppose that a Wiki-editor had access to one of the many books written about Henry Lawson. I had not thought of how to verify a date.

Over the years I have had many books, non-fiction too, with no publication date and little data. This annoys me because I was taught always to read the currency of the book, and hence the currency of its data.

"PG Australia" would be Project Gutenberg, I imagine, with access to many local sources such as University Reference Librarians, archived copies of "The Bulletin".

"if LV was Australian" LV? LibriVox, I think (I have been using Lx to auto-correct into LibriVox)

"but I've checked it" Might you tell me, briefly, where/how you checked it? I ask because there are another 93 projects lurking there on that Wikipedia page, and I thought it might be fun to do them all, but then I could do some of the research myself, en masse, as it were. If only I knew how.
The URL you chose to add to your catalogue name is freely available to anyone using the catalogue and seems to me to give a heap of information about you that doesn't need to be so freely available - are you sure you want it used?
"are you sure you want it used?" Well Anne, I was - until you asked! Generally I have no fear of people knowing my URL and my postal address, location etc. With practically no posessions, I am not the vulnerable target I was in my younger days. I use my web site as a public repository of documents, and need only send a link to one of the thousand or so web pages rather than quote text out in full.

The New Project Template Generator said "You may also provide a url to link your name to (personal blog or webpage)", so I offered my URL. What do other people do in this situation?

Right now people find my pages on canoeing, Bonavista, or technical issues. Are LibriVox members vulnerable to a specific threat? The "What Three Words" project has changed its map supply source and in the blink of an eye has transferred my little study (three metres square!) from the Bonavista Peninsula to a jungle in Madagascar. There is now a debate raging in a different phpBB forum. :D

LibriVox text: I had a response from Lynnet about "batching" poems, and now i wonder if I should consider having the full LibriVox introduction for the Preface, but an abbreviated LibriVox statement for each of the 16 sections following. Some of the sections are so short that they occupy less than a screen on my laptop.
How carved-in-stone are the LibriVox texts?

Thanks, more than you know, for picking up this project and expanding my knowledge.
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

lomond wrote: January 30th, 2022, 7:29 pmGreetings - DPL?
Lomond
Greetings - DPL!
I am so new that I don't know if I have the authority to penalize you in this way.
But I am a West Australian Larrikin, so I'll plough ahead.

How do you feel about being a word-perfect DPL?
I've never been or had one of those before, and I fancy that it might be a bit of a lark.
I did some crude analysis:

Code: Select all

18,328 --->  18,328 Words.
4,289 --->  4,289 Unique Words.
663 --->  663 Unique paragraphs.
8 --->  8 FOG index.
80 --->  80 Comprehension
49.6% --->  49.6% Empathy
0.43 --->  0.43 Complexity
17 sections; I could do one a day.
18,000 words; about 1,000 words per section. I have been recording 4,000 per day with German and Italian phrases and footnotes (JSBach)
Start Feb 1st, three days to set up to Feb 4th, finish Feb 21st, wrap up in a week.
Catalogued February 28th
The schedule is already out of whack, but: I recorded six of the 17 sections yesterday afternoon, so I might be finished recording by the end of this day.
That would leave us 27 days to argue vehemently about my accented interpretation of a few words in the text (grin)
If you get bored you could WPDPL my posts in this forum (Huge Grin!)
Cheers
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

annise wrote: January 30th, 2022, 3:43 pm The source is undated ...
Another question
Glossary: can I add a section "Glossary"? There are, naturally enough, plenty of foreign terms "half a caser", "fossicker", "to prospect", "encouraging indications", "shepherd one hole", "duffer", "worked it out", "indications were very good", "work that claim by himself", various terms which might benefit from an explanation.

I am used to Lawson's terms in part because I grew up on the Yilgarn Goldfields, but for many city-dwellers the terms might be considered abstruse.
The glossary could go up front, outside the work, so that readers would retain a bit of a clue about terminology, then it would not get in the way of the reading.
And before anyone asks, I have had enough footnotes to last me a year!(grin)
Thanks
Chris
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

So yes you do want your URL as you suggested.?

If you are happy with Lomond as DPL I will add him

If you really want to have word perfect you will need to get his agreement - you didn't ask for it so neither he or I volunteered for it.

Your schedule is totally up to you - as long as we hear every 2 months it is fine

Anne
lomond

Post by lomond »

ChrisGreaves wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:55 pm
How do you feel about being a word-perfect DPL?
I've never been or had one of those before, and I fancy that it might be a bit of a lark.

Cheers
Chris
Greetings -

I generally do most of my PLing as close to word-perfect, especially poetry. So, doing your project word-perfect would pose no problem.

Lomond
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

PG Australia is run by a man in Sydney - it is not part of PG and there is no date on their text- but it is OK in this case .

You read the text as is - you can never add glossaries or foot notes unless they are in the text.
Lynette's comment was about when we were very young - which are tiny poems. This is a mixture of short stories and verse. Totally different

You need to have decided how you want to do a Solo before you post, You will need to set up your section titles before you start reading so you know what to read - it is unfair to expect the DPL to re PL everything.

Anne
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

lomond wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:24 amI generally do most of my PLing as close to word-perfect, especially poetry. So, doing your project word-perfect would pose no problem.
Lomond.
"PL-ing", surely!
"PLing" is what you end up with when a single bead falls off your Bling.

Well, what it is that that that is, is me priming the pump so that you can unleash either your worst, or your best, however you see it, when we get into it.
Once Anne officially confirms that you are DPL, I have a half-dozen items waiting in the wings for you :clap:

In the meantime, if you have time to glance at one or two of the stories and can come up with any suggestions about anything at all, I'd be grateful. This is my first [SOLO] project and I am keen to learn from experienced people.
Thanks from Chris.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on January 31st, 2022, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

annise wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:17 amYou read the text as is - you can never add glossaries or foot notes unless they are in the text. Lynette's comment was about when we were very young - which are tiny poems. This is a mixture of short stories and verse. Totally different
You need to have decided how you want to do a Solo before you post, You will need to set up your section titles before you start reading so you know what to read - it is unfair to expect the DPL to re PL everything.
Thank you Anne.

" Lynette's comment was about .." Quite so, and I do see a difference. In that case each track was still given the LibriVox statement; its just that several poems were gathered into one LibriVox track, about ten poems at a time. (I can read "happiness" in one breath!)

"You need to have decided how you want to do a Solo before you post" I was wondering about that (the questions never end, do they!).
The MW has two titles in place. Shall I fill in the rest of the titles or is that the job of the MW generator?
The four "intro" texts are carved in stone by the MW generator, yes?

And finally, Poor Lomond :D . I feel that the setup is fairly simple; it is straight text, no footnotes, no music, no language problem except for my accent (Western Australian) and Lawson's dialect (Eastern States), so I might have to patch words that I have recorded with too much slur, because the read text has to be discernible to the listening public, correct?

But Lomond can be as nit-picking as he/she likes in terms of me "following the script". Section (03) is just 3m42s, so we can float that little one first as our fitting-out cruise.

"to re PL everything": I record, then I basically PL my own work to edit out gaps/pauses/throat-clearings and to make sure that i haven't skipped over or duplicated everything. My plan is to make Lomond's job so boring that he/she will be straining at the leash for another word-perfect project the day that this project is wrapped up.

Cheers
Chris
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is the book coordinator's job to set up the titles. In a Solo you are the book coordinator. I set up the first 2 as you are new as an example.

You need to set them up early so you know what section number you need.
How about first time just do what I say - we only make "rules" to make things work and we try to make them work for what readers want to do - we are as rule-free as is possible

And Australians don't have accents everyone else does.

Anne
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

annise wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:52 pmHow about first time just do what I say ...
Anne, I am absolutely OK with that. I was delighted when you picked up the project because you have helped me so much in the past, that I trust your decisions. It's just that I have never before had to question the legailit of a glossary, or anything else.
I am an excited 8-year old with his first bicycle! I want to know about everything. NOW! (grin) And so I ask every question that comes into my head.
And Australians don't have accents everyone else does.
I know. The thought came to me two weeks ago "You have an accent" means that I talk differently than you do"
Cheers
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

annise wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:52 pm It is the book coordinator's job to set up the titles.
Anne, I have updated the titles in the MW.
I have sections 00-11 recorded and self-edited in WAV form.
Is the project now "live"? Can I convert to MP3, upload, set the status in the MW and Let Lomond Loose ?

I note the dashboard says "Project 17568" and the LibriVox home page reports "Cataloged works: 16,344"
The discrepancy of about 1,200 what causes that? Projects which were started then cut off in their prime?
That would suggest that 7% or one out of every 14 projects assigned does not make it to Catalogued status. Is that correct?
Cheers
Chris