COMPLETE - Specimen Days By Walt Whitman lb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lindawilcox

Post by lindawilcox »

Specimen Days By Walt Whitman

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/specimen-days-by-walt-whitman/

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!

Specimen Days
By Walt Whitman

Specimen Days is essentially the great American poet Walt Whitman's scrap book. It documents most of his life's adventures, espeically his experience serving as a nurse during the Civil War and travelling around America.
It is a book called Complete Prose Works by Walt Whitman.

The Sections of this book may look long but they are very easy to read, they are made up of very small parts, which makes it simple to have a break and come back and continue reading.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Deadline: March 1, 2008
    Target completion date of this project: March 1, 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8813
    Standard Proof-listening
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Specimen Days. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Specimen Days, by Walt Whitman. [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Specimen Days, by Walt Whitman."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    specimendays_##_whitman.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. specimendays_01_whitman.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [section title] (e.g. 01 - A Happy Hour's Command - Sources of Character-Results-1860)
    Artist: Walt Whitman
    Album: Specimen Days

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

News about the LibriVox Uploader
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12024

http://upload.librivox.org
    If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by lindawilcox on June 12th, 2007, 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

I can MC this for you Linda, before I set things up I'll pop in and change a few things in your post. Be back soon :)

Lucy
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Linda we have got the MW up, I have sent you PM regarding some of the things to get this project up and running.

Have you got your own server space if not we can work something out for you.
Did you write the summary
Also any Wikipedia Links would be great:

Don't hesitate to ask questions, if you need to know anything

Lucy :)
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

I'd like to do section 12. Please. -CM
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
lindawilcox

Post by lindawilcox »

luciburg wrote:Linda we have got the MW up, I have sent you PM regarding some of the things to get this project up and running.

Have you got your own server space if not we can work something out for you.
Did you write the summary
Also any Wikipedia Links would be great:

Don't hesitate to ask questions, if you need to know anything

Sorry I don't have my own server space. Could you set up something for me? Thanks!
lindawilcox

Post by lindawilcox »

Cloud Mountain wrote:I'd like to do section 12. Please. -CM
Sure, go for it!
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Good Luck with your project Linda and I would like to claim Section 06

Server space has been arranged as mention in PM :)

Thanks Lucy :)
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Here is Section 06
http://www.burgoyne.id.au/librivox/specimendays_06_whitman_mp3.mp3
00.34.47 - 31.87MB

smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Linda: I'll take section 15.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Linda you may have to look at a few of these sections as the length is quite long. If you need assistance dividing these up let me know. I will be able to sort out the database and MW that won't be a problem.

smijen

Post by smijen »

Not sure if I need to repost my lost message, since Lucy's obviously on top of it... it basically said that section 15 is 26 000 words and I'm about 180 words/min, so that about 2 hours! Section 15 is 3000 words up to the beginning to Thomas Carlyle, and 8000 words to the end of Carlyle, so I'm not sure where you'll divide it and I won't do anything for now.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Thanks for that smijen, I couldn't remember the wording of the exact post

lindawilcox

Post by lindawilcox »

luciburg wrote:Linda you may have to look at a few of these sections as the length is quite long. If you need assistance dividing these up let me know. I will be able to sort out the database and MW that won't be a problem.

I'm sorry that I did not get back to you earlier but I just got to California for the summer so I had to unpack and move into. Could you help me divide up the chapters? I am sorry I did not calculate out the lengths of the chapters in advance.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Okay Linda I wil check this out for you, maybe later this evening.

smijen

Post by smijen »

:?:
Hi Linda and Lucy,
Do you have any preferences for file transfer? I don't see an appropriate folder on Anita's ftp server, and I don't think I have an email address for yousendit and the like. Is there a dedicated server for this project, or should I just pick one?