COMPLETE: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emma Orczy-ce/tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lissa_Maylee

Post by Lissa_Maylee »

I would definitely be interested in taking part in this, but I have to admit that I'm a little confused by the claiming directions. :oops: Would I be claiming a part for only one chapter, or for the whole book? Are the later chapters being dramatized as well (I assume so)?

Please explain in dummy-talk for me. :D
shabam

Post by shabam »

Lissa_Maylee wrote:I would definitely be interested in taking part in this, but I have to admit that I'm a little confused by the claiming directions. :oops: Would I be claiming a part for only one chapter, or for the whole book? Are the later chapters being dramatized as well (I assume so)?

Please explain in dummy-talk for me. :D
Sorry... I'm still working on prepping the later chapters. I should have prepped it all and THEN created the post, but I didn't :oops: . (either that, or I should have just done a normal reading, but dramatic reading sounds like more fun)

Anyway, you can claim either narrator for a single chapter, or a character, for the whole book. As I have not prepped the entire book, I don't yet know all the parts, and I do not know how many words all the parts have. You are more than welcome to pick a part, but we won't know how many words they all have until I finish the prep.

If you look at the character list, you will see xxx words If there is a number there, then I'm reasonably sure that that character has no more words, however, if it is literally xxx words, then I am reasonably sure that there are more words for that character, but I don't know how many.

Any other question, ask away. If you want to claim, claim away.

Jason
Lissa_Maylee

Post by Lissa_Maylee »

Okay, I think I understand now.

I think I'd like to try my hand at Suzanne...only, please tell me if my French accent gets too farcical! I've never studied French at all, so if there are any French words (beyond "bonjour", "mademoiselle", etc.) I might have to ask about those.

Missie
shabam

Post by shabam »

Missie,

Suzanne is all yours. Don't worry too much about the accent. Just do the best you can. If you like, we can request CC from someone who actually speaks French (not me). So far you have 122 words, but I believe there will be plenty more for you.

Jason
Lissa_Maylee

Post by Lissa_Maylee »

Awesome! I don't think I've ever played ingenue before, so this should be fun!
shabam

Post by shabam »

I am assuming that others are interested in this, and just waiting for me to finish prep. Sorry I did not finish prep before posting about it, but I like to have input from others anyway...

So, I'm requesting input. ceastman had suggested maybe assigning parts by chapter, instead of the entire part for the book. At first I had said no to this, but as I prep, I wonder if it might be a good idea. I'd like input.

Reasons why I'm considering it:
  • Shortage of female parts, while there is not a shortage of female words: I count 8 female parts so far, and 14 male, plus 5 male, I've put in "either" However, Lady Blakeney has the largest part in the book, and many of the men have small parts. I count about 10,000 male words and almost 6,000 female words (up to Chapter 16). Possible about 1000 of the male words can be either/or (begger, corporal, majordomo, stable boy are obvious, but some others could be possible as well.)
  • Number of parts: There are 27 parts so far, and I'm not quite 2/3 through. Plus narrators.
  • Length of some parts: So far Maguarite has 4,366 words. And there are many more to go. She alone will be longer than any of the chapters in the book. Splitting that up will give others more chance to read.
  • Narrators needed: If the Scarecrow of Oz is any indication, the parts will fill up a lot faster than the narrations. I will then be wanting narrators. If a person knows that they can narrate on one chapter, and can still read a part on another, then they might be more willing to narrate.
  • Get started now: Perhaps people will start reading for the first few chapters now, even though I'm not done prepping (or honestly, reading for the first time) the last chapters.
Input greatly appriciated, and this is not deffinate yet, I am just asking for input.

Jason

ps: Lissa_Maylee. A single person can still take an entire part, if you want the entire part of Suzanne. (Whom is in Chapter 19, and then I do not think is in the rest, from my quick search of her name... although she is mentioned)
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Sounds like a fine plan, as long as you can keep everything straight! :) (You certainly seem like a capable fellow, so I have no particular fears there.)

-Catharine
Wierdlings

Post by Wierdlings »

I like the idea of chapters too. I love TSP and would love to try my hand at reading a chapter.
shabam

Post by shabam »

Alright, only 2 comments, and both in agreement, so I'll do the character parts by chapter, instead of the entire part. There is still a shortage of female parts, but it gives more readings for females.

I'll update the instructions sometime today.

Thanks,

Jason

ps. I also thought of another reason that different people reading the same part in different chapters is a good thing. If the same person reads one particular part through out, that voice will give away a couple of twists, unless that reader is as good at voices as the character is. :)
Lissa_Maylee

Post by Lissa_Maylee »

Okay, sorry that I didn't reply sooner, but I expected to finish these sooner, too.

Here is Suzanne for chapters 3, 4, 5, and 19.

Chapter 3, 308 KB : http://www.yousendit.com/download/bWJvNHAySytveE0wTVE9PQ

Chapter 4, 1.25 MB: http://www.yousendit.com/download/bWJvNHB3YTJrWTgwTVE9PQ

Chapter 5, 223 KB: http://www.yousendit.com/download/bWJvNHAzQzN0TWswTVE9PQ

Chapter 19, 2.98 MB: http://www.yousendit.com/download/bWJvNHAwNkcwZ2swTVE9PQ

Please let me know of any problems/questions!

I can't remember if she appears again or not. If not, then I suppose I should record a credit line, too.
shabam

Post by shabam »

Lissa_Maylee,

Thanks! I'll move them to my server and listen to them sometime today or tomorrow. That is it for Suzanne, so since I changed to allow people to read different parts in different chapters (are my new instructions on the front page clear on that?) you can pick another part, but please only one part per chapter. There are 3 female parts in Chapter 2 ;).

Yes, please record a credit line. I need to update the character list with the full names for the credit. Please use the character name of "Suzanne de Tournay"

Thanks a bunch! My first recorded non-narration parts!

Jason
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

I will be away without net access Thurs 7/5 through Sun 7/8. I'll check in again on Monday!

-Catharine
shabam

Post by shabam »

Thanks Catharine, enjoy your vacation! I'll be around some, but I probably won't do any work on the remaining chapters of the book. I have to get a condo ready to sell.

Laters,

Jason
MrOldGuy

Post by MrOldGuy »

Are there tryouts for the parts, or is it first come, first served? :?:

Sir Percy Blakeney, Baronet (aka the Scarlet Pimpernel) is one of my favorite fictional heros. I have read all (I think) of Baroness Orkzny's books about him and seen all but one of the cinematic presentations.

If I might, I would like to read Percy.

"They seek him here. They seek him there..."
shabam

Post by shabam »

MrOldGuy wrote:Are there tryouts for the parts, or is it first come, first served? :?:

If I might, I would like to read Percy.
There are no tryouts, but I might do a bit of directing, just so the characters sound right when they talk to each other (but not much directing). Let me know which chapter(s) you want, and they are yours. Sir Percy is one character that I ask is NOT read by the same person throughout.

Your calling him Baronet spurned me into looking up Bart, and sure enough it means Baronet... Nice to know... In speaking that, would someone say "Sir Percy Blakeney, Baronet" or would they simple say "Sir Percy Blakeney, Bart". I should note that in the abbreviations section of my instructions.

Thanks,

Jason