COMPLETE: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emma Orczy-ce/tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
shabam

Post by shabam »

After 8 days less than 5 years, This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-scarlet-pimpernel-by-baroness-emmuska-orczy-2/

This is a dramatic reading of The Scarlet Pimpernel. This is the book, but I am going to take your reading of a character and put that in instead of the narrator reading it. I will also be adding in sound effects and perhaps some mood music.

I ask that if your character sneezes, laughs (lots of laughing in this book), coughs, whatever, then please do that.

If there is an abbreviation that you do not recognize, post in the forum and we will see if we can figure it out.

Some Abbreviations used:
M. = Monsieur
Mlle. = Mademoiselle
Bart. = Baronet

As the writer died in 1947, this book is still under copyright in Life+70 nations (Europe). The US, and Life+50 nations are safe to read and listen to it. Europe will be able to enjoy it in 2017.

The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Emma Orczy .

(From Wikipedia) Baroness Emma ("Emmuska") Orczy (September 23, 1865 – November 12, 1947) was a British novelist, playwright and artist of Hungarian origin. She was most notable for her series of novels featuring the Scarlet Pimpernel. Some of her paintings were exhibited at the Royal Academy in London.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    No deadline. It will get finished when it does (the original deadline is 3 years past). If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. This is going to take a lot of editing on my part, so the sooner you can get it to me the sooner I can work on it.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/60
    Please read from the text link next to each chapter.
  5. Please claim a part!

You can either claim a narration chapter, or a character for a chapter. You will read just for the chapter you claim. You can claim an entire part if the part is small, but there are certain parts that I ask NOT be read by a single person.

I am still prepping the chapters. I should have finished this before posting, but I got a little anxious. In each chapter you will see the number of words that character has, in the chapter. The entire narration is given in the narrator spot.

Narration

Edit me

Characters:
    note: I'd like to include some sound effects as well, so if your character laughs, give me a laugh, if your character coughs, sneezes, whatever, please include these.

Another note: Some colors are reused, but never in the same chapter. I did not colorize this chart, see the chapters list.

A third note: I am marking people as reading for a chapter when they sign up. This will mark a chapter as "Claimed." This is not accurate, as the chapter is not fully claimed. I thought about leaving all out until the narrator was claimed, so the claimed had some significance, but this means that those who have read parts, or are reading parts, do not have this project show on their project list until the narrator is claimed. So, when all parts are claimed, I will put "ALL CLAIMED" at the top of the notes section.

If the chapter is red then that part is still available.

narration parts:
    none available

Male:
    Sargent Bibot (Chapter 1) - French Sargent. Arrogant, loves to tell stories. Gets us started on our journey.
    Captain of Guard (Chapter 1) - French officer. Out of breath.
    Mr Jellyband (Chapters 2-6, 9, 21) - Englishman and owner of The Fisherman's Rest, an inn.
    Mr Hempseed (Chapter 2, 3) - English businessman
    Jimmy Pitkin (Chapter 2) - Young Englishman, energetic.
    Sir Andrew (Chapters 3, 4, 5, 9, 12, 13, 20-23, 31) - Englishman, part of the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Young, energetic. In love with Suzanne and hero worships the Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Lord Antony (Chapters 3-6, 9) - English lord, part League of the of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Mature, strong.
    Vicomte de Tourney (Chapters 3, 4, 6, 11) - French royalty. Son of Comtesse de Tourney - young and enthusiastic
    Sir Percy Blakeney (Chapters 1, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 25-28, 30-31) - English lord. Richest man in England. "the sleepiest, dullest, most British Britisher." Found in disguise sometimes (chapters 1, 25-27). aka The Scarlet Pimpernel (hope this doesn't spoil the book for anyone). Fopish, loves fine clothes.
    Armand St. Just (Chapters 7, 13) - French republican. Brother of Marguarite Blakeney. Also working with The Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Captain Briggs (Chapters 7) - Captain of the Day Dream, Sir Percy's Yacht
    Chauvelin (Chapters 8-11, 14, 15, 24-30) - French spy, trying to find the Scarlet Pimpernel. Weasely, arrogant, and full of hatred for the Scarlet Pimpernel. Loathed by most, feared by the rest.
    Lord Grenville (Chapters 10, 11) - English Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. Hosts an important ball
    Lord Fancourt (Chapter 14, 15) - English Cabinet Minister
    Brogard (Chapters 22, 23, 24) - Rude owner of the disgusting Chat Gris Inn
    Desgas (24, 26, 28, 29, 30) - One of Chauvelin's Lieutenants

Female:
    Sally (Chapters 2, 3, 21) - Daughter of Mr Jellyband, cheif cook and waitress at the Fisherman's Rest. Subservient attitude
    Jemima (Chapter 2) - Assistant to Sally. Lower class and hurried.
    Martha (Chapter 2) - Assistant to Sally. Lower class.
    Comtesse de Tourney (Chapters 3, 4, 5, 10, 11) - French Royalty, escaped from Paris with 2 children. Hates Marguarite. A bit uptight, scared and hurt.
    Suzanne (Chapters 3-5, 19) - Young beautiful daughter of Comtesse de Tourney. Young, energetic, very good friends with Marguarite
    Lady Marguarite Blakeney (St. Just) (Chapters 5-8, 10-13, 14, 15-17, 19-21, 22, 23, 25, 29, 30, 31) - Young beautiful actress of French origin. Wife of Sir Percy Blakeney. "The brightest woman in all of France". The biggest character in the book.
    Lady Portarles (Chapter 10) - English lady, friend of Comtesse de Tourney. Polite but pushy.
    Louise (Chapter 17) - Maid to Lady Marguarite Blakeney. Very tired and half asleep.

Either:
    Corporal (Chapter 1) - Male, but open to either
    Crowd (Chapters 1, 2, 10) - Sometimes a group, sometimes an un-named person.
    Stable Boy (Chapter 4) - English boy who announces arrival of Percy and Marguarite
    Beggar (Chapter 5) - English... what can I say?
    Majordomo (Chapter 11) - English, very proper
    Groom (Chapter 19)
    Runner (Chapter 19)
    Soldiers (Chapters 27, 28, 30) - really multiple voices, all French
    Sargent (Chapter 30) - French
    Stranger/Spy (Chapter 2, 4, 9)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    for Narration
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Scarlet Pimpernel. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Emma Orczy . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

You do not need to read the entire dialog, but do read the first few words and last few words of every dialog, to give me an ear for where to put the dialogs.
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Emma Orczy ."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

For Characters
    Each chapter should be in a seperate file
    • At the beginning or each chapter say:
      "Chapter ##; part of [Character name]"
    • Leave 3 seconds between each part.
    • At the end of each chapter say"
      "end chapter ##" (these intro and outro's will not be used, this is just to make sure that all the file was received.)
    • If you wish, at the end of the each chapter, say:
      The part of [character] read by [your name], [city, blog, whatever]
      This will be used at the beginning of each chapter to announce who will be reading which part.
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    Narration: pimpernel_##_orczy.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. pimpernel_01_orczy.mp3)
    Character: pimpernel_CHARACTER_##_orczy.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number and CHARACTER is your character. (e.g. pimpernel_bibot_01_orczy.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    Don't worry about ID3 tags, as I will have to edit each file, I'll do ID3 tags at that time.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please use the Librivox Uploader:
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin).
    Use "ce" as the MC for the project.
    Please post the resulting link in the thread!
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by shabam on August 7th, 2011, 8:28 pm, edited 78 times in total.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi there - I'll MC this for you. I was wondering, though, if you're aware that we already have a solo recording of this book in our catalogue. If you are, that's fine - we like multiple versions and it'll be fun to do this again; it's such a great story. I'm just mentioning it in case you don't know about it and would in that case prefer to select a new book.

If the latter, then you could just amend your first post with the details of the new book and I'll MC whatever you come up with! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
shabam

Post by shabam »

You know, I didn't even look for another edition. I kinda thought there must be, but I didn't look. I just saw a poor lonely abandoned book, and felt sorry for it.

I don't mind another edition. After all, I provided 3 seperate editions of Alice in Wonderland to DP, which are now on PG.

Catharine had said she would MC it, but I know that she was talking with you about the abandoned books, so either way, doesn't matter to me. As long as I get the already done files. I'll also want to listen to them, to see if I need to alter the instructions in anyway. I actually think this would be a good choice for a dramatic reading, but I'd like to hear those files to see if I can do that with what we already have. Or would it be kosher to do that, if the original reader did not intend that?

Thanks!

Jason
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

shabam wrote:You know, I didn't even look for another edition. I kinda thought there must be, but I didn't look. I just saw a poor lonely abandoned book, and felt sorry for it.

I don't mind another edition. After all, I provided 3 seperate editions of Alice in Wonderland to DP, which are now on PG.

Catharine had said she would MC it, but I know that she was talking with you about the abandoned books, so either way, doesn't matter to me. As long as I get the already done files. I'll also want to listen to them, to see if I need to alter the instructions in anyway. I actually think this would be a good choice for a dramatic reading, but I'd like to hear those files to see if I can do that with what we already have. Or would it be kosher to do that, if the original reader did not intend that?

Thanks!

Jason
Oh I see! I didn't realise this was a discontinued solo. Yes, Catharine wanted to do this, and she probably knows about the files. I'll put her MC initials in the subject instead of mine :)

Re dramatic reading, yes I think that might be fun - as for the previous reader, s/he's placed her recording in the public domain, so I'm sure anything you want to do with it is just fine.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi, I'm making up your Magic Window now. :)

Quick question: When you say you have server space, do you mean you have a server that the files can be stored on during collection, proof-listening, and cataloguing? If so, how do you prefer people get the files to you? We often use services like mediafire.com and yousendit.com , but they're no good as medium- to long-term storage solutions, and abysmal for easy file transfer into the Validator (the tool us MCs use for checking out files before cataloguing and sending them as a nice neat package to archive.org).

Also, I'm taking the liberty of neatening the URL for the Gutenberg text. We usually use the short format: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/60
..which is where your long-form address redirected me. :)

-Catharine
shabam

Post by shabam »

I have a server I can store everything on. I do not (yet) have a way to allow people to upload to it, so using usendit, or whatever, is fine. I'll then transfer them to my server until they are ready to go. My server should be up most of the time, but it is in my home office, and the DSL has a dynamic IP, so if power goes out, or my IP address changes, then it may be down for a while.

Jason
shabam

Post by shabam »

ok. Now that we have got this started, and I've listened to the first section, I think I am going to make this a dramatic reading.

I will break out parts over the next few days, and then update the instructions. There are a lot of parts, so if some people want to read a couple of small parts, that is ok, and if you want to do a part and a narration, that is fine. I only ask that you only read 1 part in a chapter. ie, you can read a part for someone who shows up in say, chapters 2, 3 and 6, and narrator for chapters 8, 9 and 10 and then another part for someone that shows up in chapter 30. But I ask that you don't read for a part that is in chapter 2, 3 and 6 and another that is in 6, 12 and 14, as both parts are in chapter 6.

You can start signing up for narration now, and if you know you want a particular part, you can request it now, but I will have a list of lines for each part worked up soon.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Jason
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Okay. Since we're now working in a dramatic format, I'll move this thread over to the Dramatic Works area.
shabam

Post by shabam »

ceastman wrote:Okay. Since we're now working in a dramatic format, I'll move this thread over to the Dramatic Works area.
Thanks. Was going to ask you to do that. :)

Jason
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Heh - not a problem.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Not to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong...

But shouldn't the Old Hag In Cart in Chapter 1 be read by the same reader who will have, um, another part later on? (As if anyone following this thread is not going to know the plot already, lol.)

(Trying to figure out if there are any female characters who don't have to speak French...)
Laurie Anne
shabam

Post by shabam »

chocoholic wrote:But shouldn't the Old Hag In Cart in Chapter 1 be read by the same reader who will have, um, another part later on? (As if anyone following this thread is not going to know the plot already, lol.)
I think there will be a couple such characters, but I'll connect them up as I go. I'm only done with Chapter 2. It is going to take me a while to colorize the whole thing, and get the characters listed (anyone wanna help?)
(Trying to figure out if there are any female characters who don't have to speak French...)
How about British? Sally is British (as are Jemima and Martha)

Jason
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Certainly in other dramatic works, each voice part is read by a single person. This is going to be a weird case anyway, because it's starting off with files that were created by someone doing a solo project.

If you decide you don't want to limit it to a single voice per part, I'd suggest having a cast list at the beginning of each section/chapter. (Take a listen to the first file of, e.g. The Importance of Being Earnest to see what I mean.)

In connection with that, you might want to ask each reader to record something like "Mabel, performed by Catharine Eastman" to put at either the beginning of the book (if you go with one person per part) or the beginning of their chapter file (if you go with multiple people per part).
shabam

Post by shabam »

ceastman wrote:Certainly in other dramatic works, each voice part is read by a single person. This is going to be a weird case anyway, because it's starting off with files that were created by someone doing a solo project.
I'm going to keep weiss's narration, and the other parts I'll edit in. I don't think it will be a problem.
If you decide you don't want to limit it to a single voice per part
I think I do want a single voice per part.
In connection with that, you might want to ask each reader to record something like "Mabel, performed by Catharine Eastman" to put at either the beginning of the book (if you go with one person per part) or the beginning of their chapter file (if you go with multiple people per part).
That is already in the instructions. :) I saw how Scott was doing Oz, and did similarly. Wouldn't mind someone looking over the instuctions and making sure I didn't do anything silly, though.

Jason
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

<looks over instructions>

It all looks pretty good. The one thing is that characters don't need to have ID3 tags on their files, since those files won't be catalogued 'as is'. Only the final edited-together files will need that information.