COMPLETE The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame (1859 - 1932)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-wind-in-the-willows-by-kenneth-grahame-5/
The Wind in the Willows is a classic children's book--enjoyed by all ages!--by British novelist Kenneth Grahame, first published in 1908. Begun as letters to his 7-year-old son Alistair and later developed into a novel, it tells the adventures of animals Mole, Rat, and Toad, who dwell, along with Badger, Otter, and other animals, in the riverbank, fields, and woodlands of the English countryside. Best friends Mole and Rat, along with Badger, are continually rescuing Toad from his scrapes. An encounter with nature god Pan lends a special magic to this tale. (Summary by Cynthia Rylander Crossen)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27805

Target completion date: 2021-09-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Wind in the Willows. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: windinthewillows_##_grahame_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. windinthewillows_01_grahame_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Perfect timing. I see this. ;)

I'll set it up for ya.

Come to think of it, YOU are not doing the reading, so I will need to figure out how to add the reader to the catalog since she won't have a forum account. I can work on that as this is in process.

I'll get the Magic Window set up shortly. In the meantime, you can look over these:

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here:
Instructions for BCs and DPLs (You'll be the BC, Book Coordinator, but you won't be dealing with claims from other readers. Take what's needed from the document and don't worry about word counts and other group project stuff.)

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

*I don't want to overwhelm you with all these details, so if it's overwhelming, let me know so I can help you with the Magic Window stuff.*

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Do you need a DPL for this project? If so, I can do it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great, thanks!

The actual reader is not in this world anymore, so anything that needs re-recording won't happen. Mostly, check that nothing is terribly wrong. 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

As I recall, we determined that the preface/introduction wasn't PD, so you were not going to include it in this project. Correct?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, we've got a couple options for how to enter Sarbaga into the catalog.

(1) You can create a forum account for her, which we can then tie to the catalog name. (We need a forum account with a unique email address to attach the catalog account to.)

(2) If you are never going to record yourself, we could simply use your account and put her name in the catalog. This would be a little weird, though, since it will essentially look like you're one person. :)

(3) As a last resort, we could try to find an old, deleted account in the catalog database and recycle that for her use.
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Hi Tricia! I don't have a lot of time today, so just a quick note to say THANK YOU! I have loved working with you, and I am thrilled that you will MC this book for me! Okay, enough exclamation points. (Well, just one more: :D !)

Tomorrow I will have time to dig in to all the information you've sent. I have prepared the final .MP3s for the first six chapters, so... six more to go. I'll answer more questions when I'm able to get back to this tomorrow.

To answer one question now: Sarbaga read a Foreword (it's about 2 minutes long), written by Kenneth Grahame--I'm not sure for what edition. But since he has been dead since 1937, this should be out of the copyright zone? I was thinking of putting this Foreword as the last file, rather than the first, if that is permitted. My reasoning is: (1) Then the file names would be numbered identically to the chapters, which might make it easier to keep everything straight, for myself, maybe others? (2) I almost always read the Foreword after I've finished the book; if we put it last, the listener can jump right in to the story, and then may want to read more about it once they're done. NOTE: Sarbaga also read an Introduction, which we've already determined we can't use.

Mozartjr, thanks for being part of this project. Are you a musician/composer?

Excitedly,
Cynthia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's hard to say if the preface would be PD or not. It might have been written for a later edition, after 1925. I can't remember; did you send a photo of the title page and copyright page of the edition she read from? To include the preface, we'd need that so that we could definitely tell if the preface is PD.

Regarding section numbering: we've set it up so the project starts with section 0 for the preface. If we can use it, we can move the preface to the end and start the numbering at 1 instead.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

TriciaG wrote: August 30th, 2021, 2:25 pm Great, thanks!

The actual reader is not in this world anymore, so anything that needs re-recording won't happen. Mostly, check that nothing is terribly wrong. 8-)
Wow, sounds very intriguing. 8-) 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this out of the Launch Pad to Going Solo...
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Tricia, I am trying to track down the actual book Sarbaga read from, so I can get photos of the title and copyright pages. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Also, I was just reading the specs for the files, and noticed that you want 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning. I've done the first six chapters without putting that in. Is this essential to do? If so, I can redo those files if I have to. (I will definitely put it in from now on.)

I did add at least five seconds of silence at the end of each file, so that's good.

Thanks again for MC'ing, and mozartjr for proofing...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

About how much time is there at the start? Do they start right away?

Some MP3 players will miss the very start of the file, which is why we build in a little silence at the start.
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Tricia -- There's a tiny bit of time at the beginning, but I think I will redo them, just to make sure. It's not hard to do.

I have all 12 chapters prepared correctly, I believe. I would like to start uploading them today. I am going to the beach for a week starting this Saturday, and I would love to get these files to you before I go.

Or, would it be better if I send you a couple today, and if they meet all specs, send the rest tomorrow?

As to the Foreword by Kenneth Grahame, I was able to track down the title page and copyright page. I am not sure how to get them to you. Should I use the Uploader?

Thanks,
Cynthia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you've got 'em all done, go ahead and upload them all. It doesn't take that much more time, and then if they're OK, we can move forward with cataloging while you're on vacation.

Put the images in a Zip file and use the uploader. (It doesn't accept straight image files, but takes Zip files.) Use my folder, name it whatever is appropriate, and post the link in this thread. 8-)
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Tricia and mozartjr,

I have uploaded the following files:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/windinthewillows_01_grahame_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/windinthewillows_02_grahame_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/windinthewillows_03_grahame_128kb.mp3

Chapter 1 -- 27:32 minutes long
Chapter 2 -- 27:59 minutes long
Chapter 3 -- 28:47 minutes long

Tricia, I assume you will enter these in the Magic Window, as I couldn't.