[COMPLETE][SOLO]The Primrose Path, by Bram Stoker - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

The Primrose Path, by Bram Stoker (1847 - 1912)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/primrose-path-by-bram-stoker/
This 1875 serialised novella appeared in The Shamrock magazine in 5 installments. It is Bram Stoker's first novel, being published 22 years before his famous 'Dracula'. It tells the story of a happy Irish family, the O'Sullivans, who leave their straightforward Dublin life behind to go to London, to follow Jerry O'Sullivan's dream of becoming a theatrical carpenter. With his wife, Katey, at his side, they are beset by many misfortunes. The squalor and depravity of London seep into their lives and tragedy ensues. (Summary by jakemalizia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/the-primrose-path/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-10-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Primrose Path. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Primrose Path, by Bram Stoker. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Primrose Path, by Bram Stoker. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Primrose Path, by Bram Stoker."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: primrosepath_##_stoker_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. primrosepath_01_stoker_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty has very kindly agreed to MC and DPL for this :9: thank you
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm here, Jake :) and looking forward to hearing this story. MW will come shortly.... stay tuned.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, MW is up and you can fill it out as soon as you have time.

Meanwhile I'm moving this to Going Solo :)

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:05 am all right, MW is up and you can fill it out as soon as you have time.

Meanwhile I'm moving this to Going Solo :)

Sonia
Thanks! I've filled out the MW now. Time to practise my Irish accent :oops:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:50 am Thanks! I've filled out the MW now. Time to practise my Irish accent :oops:
:shock: oho....I will get a real treat here. I loooove Irish and Scottish accents :9: I hope I will understand something :lol:

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:55 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:50 am Thanks! I've filled out the MW now. Time to practise my Irish accent :oops:
:shock: oho....I will get a real treat here. I loooove Irish and Scottish accents :9: I hope I will understand something :lol:

Sonia
Chapter 1 is up! :shock:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/primrosepath_01_stoker_128kb.mp3 - 17:26

I feel like I slip between Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, and Bristolian accents, so... :lol:
There's a typo, I believe (page 3, first column), where it repeats "some some", my instinct tells me it should've been "some time", so I read it thus. Let me know if you think it should be something else, of if I should retain the original mistake.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 28th, 2021, 2:11 amChapter 1 is up! :shock:

I feel like I slip between Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh, and Bristolian accents, so... :lol:
haha, well I did understand what you were saying, so all is good I suppose ;)

It's such a tragedy....I figured the outset was that the family was in dire straights in Ireland and looking for a better life in London. That would have been bad enough, but now that I see that they live in perfect happiness and are even prosperous...it's doubly tragic that it will all turn sour in the end. Why do they leave their home if they have a good life there and friends ? :hmm:

So far, the listening is pretty enjoyable, you read well in character and I didn't find any errors. I guess Miss M'Anaspie will soon be married ;) BTW, I was wondering about this M', I always thought that was the abbreviation for "Mac", isn't it ? On a hunch I looked up the name, and at least "Mac Anaspie" seems to be an Irish name, can be found here in the annals: https://books.google.lu/books?id=_0dBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA371&lpg=PA371&dq=Mac+Anaspie&source=bl&ots=a33L40aGu8&sig=ACfU3U3fMhWdAa8mjDqHj8CEPR-Rqv_3og&hl=de&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhqNuNyNPyAhXQ_rsIHe3iDSQQ6AF6BAgIEAM#v=onepage&q=Mac%20Anaspie&f=false

But maybe while writing the abbreviation, one also pronounces it as abbreviation. I wouldn't know about that. You are probably closer to the source than me in this case.
There's a typo, I believe (page 3, first column), where it repeats "some some", my instinct tells me it should've been "some time", so I read it thus. Let me know if you think it should be something else, of if I should retain the original mistake.
yes usually we have the rule "don't change the author's words", which means, no modern editing, additions etc. "Antique" words that are not used anymore need to be recorded as such, even if the listener may understand a modern word better. But this is a case of honest typo mistake I would say, just like you. One can tacitly correct such obvious errors.

So: the first Chapter is PL ok. A great start !!! :clap:

Ah something I wanted to ask. Looking at the waves in Audacity, they look quite "clipped" to me. Did you by any chance record too loudly ? Clipping should be avoided at any cost, it could distort the sound. It didn't here, so all is well, but maybe if you have a loud voice, best stay not too near the microphone, or maybe toggle the input volume down a notch.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 28th, 2021, 4:05 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 28th, 2021, 2:11 amChapter 1 is up! :shock:

haha, well I did understand what you were saying, so all is good I suppose ;)

It's such a tragedy....I figured the outset was that the family was in dire straights in Ireland and looking for a better life in London. That would have been bad enough, but now that I see that they live in perfect happiness and are even prosperous...it's doubly tragic that it will all turn sour in the end. Why do they leave their home if they have a good life there and friends ? :hmm:

So far, the listening is pretty enjoyable, you read well in character and I didn't find any errors. I guess Miss M'Anaspie will soon be married ;) BTW, I was wondering about this M', I always thought that was the abbreviation for "Mac", isn't it ? On a hunch I looked up the name, and at least "Mac Anaspie" seems to be an Irish name, can be found here in the annals: https://books.google.lu/books?id=_0dBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA371&lpg=PA371&dq=Mac+Anaspie&source=bl&ots=a33L40aGu8&sig=ACfU3U3fMhWdAa8mjDqHj8CEPR-Rqv_3og&hl=de&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhqNuNyNPyAhXQ_rsIHe3iDSQQ6AF6BAgIEAM#v=onepage&q=Mac%20Anaspie&f=false

But maybe while writing the abbreviation, one also pronounces it as abbreviation. I wouldn't know about that. You are probably closer to the source than me in this case.
yes usually we have the rule "don't change the author's words", which means, no modern editing, additions etc. "Antique" words that are not used anymore need to be recorded as such, even if the listener may understand a modern word better. But this is a case of honest typo mistake I would say, just like you. One can tacitly correct such obvious errors.

So: the first Chapter is PL ok. A great start !!! :clap:

Ah something I wanted to ask. Looking at the waves in Audacity, they look quite "clipped" to me. Did you by any chance record too loudly ? Clipping should be avoided at any cost, it could distort the sound. It didn't here, so all is well, but maybe if you have a loud voice, best stay not too near the microphone, or maybe toggle the input volume down a notch.

Sonia
I did wonder about M'Anaspie. I started thinking about Dickens' weirdest character name Mr M'Choakumchild. Now I think you're right, maybe I should rerecord those sections and say "MacAnaspie" which is a real surname.

Yeah, I think it was a little on the loud side... I reduced it a little bit but not much.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 28th, 2021, 5:11 amI started thinking about Dickens' weirdest character name Mr M'Choakumchild.
:shock: in what book is he ?
Now I think you're right, maybe I should rerecord those sections and say "MacAnaspie" which is a real surname.
well the name shows up quite often.... it's as you wish. Do you think you can make patches so it wouldn't show too much ? You probably need to re-record the entire part of the sentence at least to make it sound fluent.

I don't insist on it, if it's ok with you. Only as you go forward, keep to the same pronunciation then, otherwise it will sound odd.
Yeah, I think it was a little on the loud side... I reduced it a little bit but not much.
hm, well once there is clipping, the sound is gone, even when you reduce it, the clipping will show. Do you have Audacity ? You can show your clippings in red lines if you wish. I actually do that, so each time I record something too loud, it flares up and I go back and re-record with a more soft tone right away. Also handy to show some peaks in plosives.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 28th, 2021, 5:21 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 28th, 2021, 5:11 amI started thinking about Dickens' weirdest character name Mr M'Choakumchild.
:shock: in what book is he ?
Now I think you're right, maybe I should rerecord those sections and say "MacAnaspie" which is a real surname.
well the name shows up quite often.... it's as you wish. Do you think you can make patches so it wouldn't show too much ? You probably need to re-record the entire part of the sentence at least to make it sound fluent.

I don't insist on it, if it's ok with you. Only as you go forward, keep to the same pronunciation then, otherwise it will sound odd.
hm, well once there is clipping, the sound is gone, even when you reduce it, the clipping will show. Do you have Audacity ? You can show your clippings in red lines if you wish. I actually do that, so each time I record something too loud, it flares up and I go back and re-record with a more soft tone right away. Also handy to show some peaks in plosives.

Sonia
He's from "Hard Times". His name certainly suggests he gives the children a hard time.

I will rerecord those sentences! It makes sense to. I'd rather do it correctly.

Yeah, I use Audacity. I need to fiddle a little with the levels I think.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

I have reuploaded Section 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/primrosepath_01_stoker_128kb.mp3
With saying Miss M'Anaspie as "Miss MacAnaspie"

I'm not sure if that requires a spot PL or not? I've marked it thusly in case.

I forgot to mention last time... this chapter is the only time you hear from any of the children :lol: the O'Sullivans have 3 children, which are with them throughout the whole book, but you only hear that one line from the baby at the beginning. It's so odd. And he spends so long describing the outfit of Muldoon in minutest detail, but we don't get hardly anything for the main couple. Poor Stoker probably didn't expect someone to be nitpicking his first attempt at a novel nearly 150 years later.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 30th, 2021, 3:16 amWith saying Miss M'Anaspie as "Miss MacAnaspie"
ehm...actually this now requires an entire PL from scratch :( because you did not point out the exact time stamps to me where McAnaspie show up :? only with time stamps I can do a spot PL otherwise I have to PL it all. Well...luckily the chapter is not that long, so it's not such a tragedy.

But please (also in other projects): as soon as you change anything other than the PLers notes, even if it's only a bit of a silence trimmed, it needs to be Spot PLed (because you never know, some words could have been cut by mistaken - believe me, it has happened before), so please to make the job easier, point out the exact time stamp, like the PLer pointed it out to you. Otherwise the whole PL needs to be redone from scratch, as we can't know what else was changed.

Will PL later on.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 30th, 2021, 4:04 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 30th, 2021, 3:16 amWith saying Miss M'Anaspie as "Miss MacAnaspie"
ehm...actually this now requires an entire PL from scratch :( because you did not point out the exact time stamps to me where McAnaspie show up :? only with time stamps I can do a spot PL otherwise I have to PL it all. Well...luckily the chapter is not that long, so it's not such a tragedy.

But please (also in other projects): as soon as you change anything other than the PLers notes, even if it's only a bit of a silence trimmed, it needs to be Spot PLed (because you never know, some words could have been cut by mistaken - believe me, it has happened before), so please to make the job easier, point out the exact time stamp, like the PLer pointed it out to you. Otherwise the whole PL needs to be redone from scratch, as we can't know what else was changed.

Will PL later on.

Sonia
Don't PL yet! I will go through it and find the time stamps for you, so you don't have to PL the whole thing. Sorry I overlooked that :oops:

Also, I have uploaded Section 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/primrosepath_02_stoker_128kb.mp3 - 18m21s
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Okay here are the timestamps for everything that was changed, and the exact wording of the text for those passages:

1. 4:53 "Jerry's mother and her assistant, Miss MacAnaspie"
2. 5:29 "Miss MacAnaspie was her assistant, and was asked by Katey to be present out of pure kindness"
3. 5:58 "Miss MacAnaspie was tall and buxom, and of lively manners"
4. 8:42 "and, as she was a pretty little woman, had kissed her in a semi-paternal way which made Miss MacAnaspie giggle"
5. 8:55 "he considered that Miss MacAnaspie, of whose very name he was ignorant, was a forward young person"
6. 10:04 "interrupted Miss MacAnaspie pertly"
7. 10:39 "Miss MacAnaspie answered again"
8. 10:50 "said Miss MacAnaspie in a tone which implied the addition of the words 'you silly old fool'"
9. 10:59 "Mr Muldoon made another black mark in his mental notebook, and ignoring his opponent, as he already considered Miss MacAnaspie, spoke again to Katey"
10. 11:32 "Miss MacAnaspie turned away to hide an imagined blush"
11. 12:27 "This left Miss MacAnaspie to take her seat without choice, between the two eldest men of the party"
12. 13:08 "Miss MacAnaspie had already seen that she had made a mistake"
13. 14:52 "Mr Muldoon and Miss MacAnaspie during the progress of the meal became fast friends" (I misspoke and said "this meal")
14. 15:46 "Seeing the other girls at work, Miss MacAnaspie insisted on helping also"
15. 16:03 "evidently bent on going wherever Miss MacAnaspie went, and on helping her in every task"