COMPLETE The Skipper's Wooing-W.W.Jacobs - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lordy

Post by lordy »

The Skippers Wooing, by W. W. Jacobs (1863 - 1943)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-skippers-wooing-by-w-w-jacobs/
The crew of the ship come together in a syndicate to find the missing father of the lady whom their skipper should like to favour. Their resulting escapades prove to be highly amusing (Summary by Alan Lord)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/21336/21336-h/21336-h.htm#skipper

Target completion date: 2021-10-10

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Humorous Fiction; Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: humour. nautical. novella.

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter)# of The Skipper's Wooing. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Skippers Wooing, by W. W. Jacobs. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The Skipper's Wooing, by W. W. Jacobs. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Skipper's Wooing, by W. W. Jacobs."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: skipperswooing_##_jacobs_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. skipperswooing_01_jacobs_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Alan! Let me MC this project. I'll go set it up.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place, and I have given you access. In order to be able to use this access you'll need to create your own password. Here's how, and also all you need to know about Magic Windows!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_.E2.80.93_First_Time_Login
Start with "Accessing the System – First Time Login" and let me know if there are any problems.
After you have your own password, you can also use that (your username / password) for the uploader as well, instead of the generic librivox one. (that's why the solo projects don't include the image with the password).

Once you're in the Magic Window, you can fill in Section titles, etc. Each time you upload a file, you enter the link in the "Listen URL" field, and the duration in the "Notes" field. Mark it as "Ready for PL" in the "Status" and also post in the thread here that there are new uploads in the MW.
I think that's it. Please ask if anything is unclear :D
lordy

Post by lordy »

Hi Rapunzalina, thankyou so much for helping me with this project. I have registered my first login as B.C. A question about chapters, most of the chapters in this novella are quite short, about 20 minutes, is it ok to group two chapters together in one recording and thus pass to the second chapter with only the chapter number and omitting the librivox statement? Just thinking that it might flow better for the listener. Regards Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

You're very welcome!
Yes it is possible to combine chapters (up to ~74 minutes for an audio cd). Note however that the intro for solo projects, for the second and subsequent sections, is quite short.

I'll move us to the Going Solo forum now :D
lordy

Post by lordy »

Guessing the magic window is not correct...how do you want me to proceed when uploading 2 chapters together?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Great start!

We can delete at the end any extra sections. (just remember to include the End-of-book phrase in your last file)

The digits in the filename denote the section number so it would still be just 01 since it's section 01 in the Magic Window, regardless of the number of chapters it contains.

You could use simply "Section 1" as your section title in the Magic Window, or "Chapters 1-2". Accordingly, I would also suggest "Chapters 1 and 2 of ..." for the beginning intro (or "Section #"), so that the listener knows what to expect, and also so that it doesn't sound like a chapter is missing, when you go from "Chapter 1" to "Chapter 3" in the next intro. Your thoughts or questions?
lordy

Post by lordy »

Yes I had wondered whether to do that. Will redo intro to say chapters 1 and 2 and upload again. So when I upload chapters 3 and 4 I put them in section 3 and leave section 2 and 4 blank, would that be right? Sorry if I am being dim. Thankyou
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We'll need to use the sections in order, so the recording containing chapters 1-2, will go to section 1 and have a filename of skipperswooing_01_jacobs_128kb.mp3
Then the next recording (containing chapters 3-4) will go to section 2, and have a filename of skipperswooing_02_jacobs_128kb.mp3
And so on :wink:
lordy

Post by lordy »

I am terribly sorry I have only just realised i should be posting...I have actually uploaded 3 sections and was thinking that perhaps you were too busy to PL them when it occured to me...my apologies. Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you for posting, Alan! Indeed, a post notifies me faster, but being too busy can also happen. :mrgreen:

Sections 1, 2 and 3 are PL Perfect to a T!
lordy

Post by lordy »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm Thank you for posting, Alan! Indeed, a post notifies me faster, but being too busy can also happen. :mrgreen:

Sections 1, 2 and 3 are PL Perfect to a T!
Thankyou
lordy

Post by lordy »

Sections 4 and 5 ready for PL. Thankyou
lordy

Post by lordy »

Final 2 sections are uploaded, 6+7. Hope all is ok. Thankyou for M.C.ing this project for me. Regards Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Alan! These are PL OK and I have started the cataloguing process. I've been meaning to ask you to fill in the section titles in the magic window, but you're already done :mrgreen: so I entered them to start cataloguing; I hope they look ok. I will post again when the process is complete.