Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, I'd be grateful! Thank you, Larry!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is Section 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm10_02_01_128kb.mp3 15:30

Most of the Filipino names I am familiar with from my visit there and my friends from the islands, but there were a few new ones. There were some notations for the figures just before the first table that were confusing to me. I gave it my best stab, but if there is a better way to read them, I'm glad to edit.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Larry!

I think the / symbol in those numbers denotes the Shilling, judging by wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling_(British_coin)
"The shilling (1/-) was a coin ..."

I mean, English stuff just want to confuse the rest of the world :lol:

The recording is great! If you choose to change the / for shilling, here are the times it appears:

8:51 (3 / 3 ½ d - 3 / 11 d per $)
9:01 1 / 10 ½ d.
9:09 2 /
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 29th, 2021, 3:42 am Thank you, Larry!

I think the / symbol in those numbers denotes the Shilling, judging by wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling_(British_coin)
"The shilling (1/-) was a coin ..."

I mean, English stuff just want to confuse the rest of the world :lol:

The recording is great! If you choose to change the / for shilling, here are the times it appears:

8:51 (3 / 3 ½ d - 3 / 11 d per $)
9:01 1 / 10 ½ d.
9:09 2 /
Of, course! That is a bit of a "duh" moment. It was there somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain. :lol:
I will certainly make those revisions.

Thanks for setting me straight.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

These sound perfect, Jim! Thank you so much! PL OK :thumbs:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rapunzelina,

Yes, your interpretation of the old British monetary system (£sd or Pound shilling pence) is basically correct. Actually the / is the separation mark for shillings from pence (or pennies). In common usage, the word shilling wasn't used. 3/6, meaning three shillings six pence, would have been said "Three and six". An example of this is at about 9:23 in the recording where the total is said "28 pounds ten". The word shilling not used because it is understood. "(3 /3 1/2d - 3 / 11d per $) would be said "Three and thruppence ha'penny (hayp-knee) to three and eleven per dollar. But, of course anything that comes close works. :D

And, in honor of having a Fillipino daughter-in-law I would like to claim Section 5.

Lots of fun with all those tables! :lol:

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Wow, Wayne, Thank you for this fascinating presentation of the old British monetary system! It's even more complicated than I thought!

And thank you for claiming Section 5!

Off to Readers Found!
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 6:56 pm Wow, Wayne, Thank you for this fascinating presentation of the old British monetary system! It's even more complicated than I thought!

And thank you for claiming Section 5!

Off to Readers Found!
Good job by Wayne of explaining that.

I remember living in the UK in the late 70s and some of the shops still had the conversation charts near the till (cash register) from pounds/shillings/pence to the decimalized “new pence”. Decimalization happened in 1971. And, if you think the way prices were marked was a challenge, there were 20 shillings to the pound and 12 pence to the shilling, so 240 pence to the pound and then ha’penny and farthing (quarter penny). So, 960 farthings per pound.

Some prices were carried over and converted for years. E.G.: you went to the post office to get your dog license which was 37 1/2 new pence. This was just a conversion of the previous cost of 7/6.

Got that? There will be a quiz next week. For homework, calculate the decimal price for the Mad Hatter’s hat. :flag_gb:
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I was there a little earlier than you, 1966-1968. I have one of the commemorative packets they were handing out with a sample of the 'new' coins. I was just talking to a gal who moved over here about 8 years ago who is old enough to have lived in the LSP days. We had quite a conversation. Fun adding and subtracting with, as you said, a base of 20 and a base of 12. But I finally was able to do that. I have a set of gold plated Farthing cuff links that I got over there. Quite unique.

While I was over there, the Pound was devalued from $4.00 per pound to $2.00 per pound. That made my life a lot easier as I was getting all my money from the States and the prices in Jolly Old England didn't change at all.

Such fond memories.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 6:56 pm And thank you for claiming Section 5!

Off to Readers Found!
Rapunzelina,

I feel like such a dolt. But the good news is no one realized until now. I did Section 5 last Friday, uploaded it to the servers. It took sooo long, I went to do other things, and completely forgot about it! :oops: I was just looking at this project and was wondering why Section 5 was still "Assigned". Then I looked in the comments and noticed that my upload wasn't there. Why not? I thought. Oh yes, says the other part of my brain, you forgot to grab it from the "upload files" page and paste it here so you can see that I had uploaded it. As my mother-in-law said "What you don't carry in your head, you have to carry in your heels". So I had to re-upload it, just causing me more word. What an :roll: !

Well, here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm10_02_05_128kb.mp3

Time: 30:54

Wayne
Wayne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you Wayne! I have now marked it Ready for PL, though another reason why it may appear Assigned even when you post, is when I'm not online long enough to update the Magic Window :mrgreen:
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Very easy and clear to listen to those tables, Wayne! Talk about reading skills! :thumbs:

Thank you so much, Betty and Wayne! Both sections are PL OK!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 7th, 2021, 1:36 pm Very easy and clear to listen to those tables, Wayne! Talk about reading skills! :thumbs:
:9:
Wayne