COMPLETE: A Change of Air by Katharine Fullerton Gerould -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

A Change of Air, by Katharine Fullerton Gerould (1879 - 1944)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/a-change-of-air-by-katharine-fullerton-gerould/

Anyone can make a will by which his possessions are divided after his death but Cordelia Wheaton was ahead of the game for she willed away her fortune, leaving herself just enough to live comfortably on, in middle life Mrs Gerould takes this amusing cue and shows what happened next to those upon whom fortune had suddenly smiled, perhaps a bit awry (Summary by The Publishers Weekly Volume 92 Part 2)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/changeofair00geroiala

Target completion date: 2021-09-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book: New York, money, inheritance, unrequited love, class distinction

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Change of Air. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Change of Air, by Katharine Fullerton Gerould. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Change of Air, by Katharine Fullerton Gerould. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Change of Air, by Katharine Fullerton Gerould."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: changeofair_##_gerould_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. changeofair_01_gerould_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Amy,

Happy to MC for you again. MW will be along shortly. :)
Jo
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 16th, 2021, 9:55 am Hi Amy,

Happy to MC for you again. MW will be along shortly. :)
Hooray, thanks! This one is a lot shorter than the previous!

Amy
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hello!

Sections 1 and 2 have been uploaded.

Thanks,
Amy
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

May I DPL please? Thank you!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

All set!
Jo
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Thanks for volunteering, Mark! If nothing else, it'll be a short one. I'll be uploading a couple more sections soon.

Amy
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hi Mark!

Sections 3 and 4 have been uploaded. Lots of random French phrases in these. Hope I didn't mangle them too badly.

Thanks!
Amy
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Hello, Amy!
Thank you for the pleasure, your narration and voice changes are lovely!
The Sec.1 file name "https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/changeofair_1__gerould_128kb.mp3" there is a duplicated underscore "__". I am pointing it out not because we are nerds here (we are), but because filenames might determine the order in which sections of the book would be played, and we don't want to mess with that 8-)
Also, your single-digit naming scheme would be fine if you had less than 10 sections. But you plan to have 10 sections, therefore you have to use the double-digit scheme, like "changeofair_01_gerould_128kb.mp3" :roll:
Otherwise, sec.1 and 2 are very much PL OK :thumbs:
Lots of random French phrases in these. Hope I didn't mangle them too badly.
The standard prooflistening level (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening) does not expect narrators to have exact accents. LV does not discriminate against any accents in any languages. However you might request a "special feedback" re. your French. I am not an expert, but might help a bit.
For example, "Gerould" is a French name and would be pronounced "geROU" with the "g" like in "Jerry", but maybe her name was Americanized, I don't know. Anyway, your pronunciation is fine, and the chapters are pleasure to listen. :clap:
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hi Mark!

Thanks for the notes! I went ahead and renumbered and re-uploaded all the files. Thanks for catching that!

Good question about the pronunciation of Gerould's name. She and her husband were both from New England, so they probably didn't use the French pronunciation, but after some research, I discovered that American Geroulds usually pronounce it "Gerald." And that's how it was pronounced in a previous Librivox recording. So I re-recorded my openings accordingly!

Cheers,
Amy
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Hi Amy, thank you for the research!
Sec.2-4 are PL OK :thumbs:
The "01__" double underscore is not fixed in Sec.1
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

chulsky wrote: September 1st, 2021, 3:16 pm The "01__" double underscore is not fixed in Sec.1
I'll fix that on the server. No need for Amy to reupload as long a the rest is PL OK. :)
Jo
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Jo! Sec.1 is renamed and PL OK :thumbs:
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Happy Labor Day!

Sections 5, 6 and 7 have been uploaded.

Thanks!
Amy
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Amy, for the pleasure!
Sec. 5 and 7 are PL OK :thumbs:
Sec. 6 @9:35 "Lepchas" sounds like a stumble in your otherwise clear and smooth narration. Don't hesitate to push back if you meant it to sound like this :)