Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 7--absolute nonsense! :lol: :

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0121_07_various_128kb.mp3

10:59

Jim
Kriti

Post by Kriti »

Kitty wrote: August 14th, 2021, 8:56 am
Kriti wrote: August 14th, 2021, 6:59 am Please help me with figuring out what the underlined word is.
The dairyman was too much inured to exposure at all seasons to feel any great distress from the alee y rain, which fell in fitful showers around him.
the first letter is definitely an 's' and judging from context, I guess the missing letter is a 't', so it's "sleety rain" (some sort of hail-storm)

Sonia
Okay, thank you!
- Kriti Dwivedi
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 13th, 2021, 2:53 amSection 9 - Minister
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0121_09_various_128kb.mp3
This must have been an extraordinary meeting as only a few years earlier Adams and his fellow Americans would have been branded rebels and traitors to the King :wink:
What a coincidence, I am currently reading letters by Samuel Adams in another project. Possibly a relation to this guy ? His letters indeed deal with the separation from England currently. :lol:

Excellently narrated again and PL ok, Alan, thanks, and sorry for the delay in feedback.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: August 14th, 2021, 12:22 pmHere is Section 7--absolute nonsense! :lol: :
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0121_07_various_128kb.mp3
:shock: yes the superstitious hype and witch mania back in the days was legendary. This incident probably was a case of mass-hysteria again, the people all seeing the same thing because they hyped themselves up over the days.

Interesting section, thanks, Jim. Totally PL ok.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia! Jim :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bgarretson wrote: August 8th, 2021, 4:23 pmHi, I'm new to LibriVox. Could I sign up for section 2?
so the test is now OK and here is your personal reader page where all your projects will be listed: https://librivox.org/reader/16554

If you want to have another reader name (some prefer their real names, others pseudonyms) let me know and I can still change that.

Have fun with the Lovers' Wager !

Sonia
Kriti

Post by Kriti »

Hi!
Here you go, section 4 - The Dairyman's bill for your feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0121_04_various_128kb.mp3

11:30

-Kriti
- Kriti Dwivedi
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kriti wrote: August 16th, 2021, 9:15 amHere you go, section 4 - The Dairyman's bill for your feedback!
hey, thank you, Kriti, that was quick work. :thumbs: The story was sad but luckily with a happy-ending :9: you did really well, considering there was so much of difficult Scottish dialect in there. I enjoyed the story and the narrative.

Nearly word-perfect too, so really well done. There is only a small thing that needs to be adjusted:

> at the very end: we always ask a standard of 5 seconds of silence, (see first post) You end a bit abruptly. Could you add 5 seconds there please ? The rest is perfect, so no need to re-record anything. Just reupload with the same filename and the new recording will replace the old one.

Thanks

Sonia
Kriti

Post by Kriti »

Kitty wrote: August 16th, 2021, 12:33 pm
Kriti wrote: August 16th, 2021, 9:15 amHere you go, section 4 - The Dairyman's bill for your feedback!
hey, thank you, Kriti, that was quick work. :thumbs: The story was sad but luckily with a happy-ending :9: you did really well, considering there was so much of difficult Scottish dialect in there. I enjoyed the story and the narrative.

Nearly word-perfect too, so really well done. There is only a small thing that needs to be adjusted:

> at the very end: we always ask a standard of 5 seconds of silence, (see first post) You end a bit abruptly. Could you add 5 seconds there please ? The rest is perfect, so no need to re-record anything. Just reupload with the same filename and the new recording will replace the old one.

Thanks

Sonia
Hi! Glad you liked it. I had to redo it multiple times thanks to the dialect, so I am happy I won't have to go at it again :) Sorry, about the 5-sec silence, I guess I missed it. So here is the revised recording.

11:36

-Kriti
- Kriti Dwivedi
Kriti

Post by Kriti »

Also, could I claim section 3 please?
- Kriti Dwivedi
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kriti wrote: August 16th, 2021, 8:49 pmSorry, about the 5-sec silence, I guess I missed it. So here is the revised recording.
:thumbs: thanks, now all PL ok. Though careful, this time it's nearer 6 seconds of silence. A bit less would be perfect, but this is acceptable too, so no need to reupload, but don't let it get even longer in your future sections.

Congrats to your first official LV recording. :birthday:
Also, could I claim section 3 please?
ah you want more ;) I'm glad the stories are to your liking. And this makes us fully claimed, so I move us over to Readers Found.

Which is the GO for me to launch the next issue !! :mrgreen: Will post the link once it's up and running.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and we're live again: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=88729

Sonia
bgarretson

Post by bgarretson »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah you've already finished with this long story :shock: that was a fast turn-around, thank you. I had a listen to it immediately, and on the whole your narrative was very engaging and you basically read it word-perfect, so: well done.

However, the audio seems a bit corrupted to me, I wonder whether it had something to do with the excessive background noise and the maybe too aggressive numbers in noise-cleaning. :hmm: For that I would need to listen to the raw file if you still have it. What numbers did you use in the noise-reduction, how high were they ? Or did you use noise-suppression ? That could corrupt the audio as well. Although there was still a lot of background noise, so that is probably not what happened.

> the background noise is very disturbing, I wonder what makes this noise. Was it raining outside, or an electrical appliance in the vicinity ? Could you run a round of noise cleaning please ? Remember the step-by-step I gave you in your test ? This will come in handy now. I tried it myself, and took a sample at 0:34, where there was a good noise sample.

Another thing I always recommend to new readers is concerning the lengthy silences in some parts. I always recommend staying at maximum 1.5 seconds, even between paragraphs. Anything over 2 seconds feels too long for a listener and risks throwing one one of the story

So: no need to re-record the whole thing, (too much work for the reader and the prooflistener, so it's highly encouraged to edit instead of re-recording) but here are the time stamps where I would seriously cut the silences down a notch. I recommend starting from the last note, then then time stamps stay the same for you ;)

> at the beginning: we recommend between 0.5 and 1 second of silence maximum. (see first post) Could you cut the intro silence down to 1 second please ? Otherwise one starts to wonder if there is anything wrong with a file that takes so long to start.
> from 4:25 to 4:27: (p. 321) between "do you ever bite" and "enraged at the sarcastic coolness"
> from 5:39 to 5:41: (p. 322) between "hors de combat" and "maddened at being thus foiled"
> from 6:59 to 7:02: (p. 322) between "from your curious disposition" and "this sits well on you"
> from 9:11 to 9:13: (p. 322) between "poor student of Würzburg" and "we must now let our readers"
> from 9:29 to 9:31: (p. 322) between "one of the noblest houses in Germany" and "his adventure"
> from 13:52 to 13:54: (p. 323) between "gilded titles of the empire" and "a few weeks after"
> from 23:14 to 23:16: between "a thousand ducats" and "end of section 2"

apart from the silences, sometimes the beginning of your sentences are barely audible and would benefit from re-recording or amplification. Here are the time-stamps for inaudible beginnings:

> at 11:05: (p. 322) "why to hear you, one would think"
> at 12:17: (p. 323) "I will not believe that, exclaimed Karl"
> at 14:26: (p. 323) "leaving him therefore"
> at 22:35: (p. 324) stumble and repeat "I acknowledge it as fairly won" - "as fair" can be cut once
> at 22:59: (p. 324) "to celebrate the nuptials" - I think I hear "nupitals" but also here the volume is very low

> at the very end: however here we need a standard of 5 seconds of silence (see first post) so that we don't stop too abruptly. So here you would need to insert 4 more seconds

That's it, it looks like a lot but is mostly shortening of silences and only a few re-recordings or amplifications. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to edit. If you need help on how to best edit, please let me know. Then reupload with the exact same filename, so the first file gets replaced by the second one.

Oh and please always include the length of your recording in your post, so the Magic Window can be updated right away.

Thanks

Sonia
bgarretson

Post by bgarretson »

Hi, I used noise reduction but the numbers might have been to high. I don't remember what they were the first time, but I have edited the recording and hope it is better now. I cut the long silences to be shorter, amplified the quiet beginnings of sentences, and added four seconds of silence to the end. I also used 6 dB of noise reduction with a sensitivity of 6 and 3 bands on the entire recording. I apologize for the excessive background noise, I don't know what caused that. It may just be the microphone I was using. Here is the edited recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover_0121_02_various_128kb.mp3

23:12