https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_2_various_128kb.mp3

Track Length: 28:23

I'll be happy to fix anything.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: September 11th, 2021, 8:36 amI've finally finished recording Section 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_2_various_128kb.mp3
hi Sarah and thank you so much for this lovely story. In the beginning I found Nannie a bit creepy but she really meant well I guess. So it was a positive story after all.

Sorry for the long delay in feedback. But I am slowly working through my PL-jobs and I decided to do it alphabetically, so yours was the first on the list. :)

You read it very expressively and I enjoyed it, even though I still feel a bit weak to listen to long stories, so I made pauses in between.

I did find a few pronunciation issues, and as I know you want to hear about them, I made a list, but for such a long story, you did really well. :thumbs:

> at 1:37: (p. 15) "and we had the rest of the family quarantined from him" - you say "quan-treened"; it should be "qua-ran-teened"

> at 3:49: (p. 16) "she would be abrupt" - I only hear "arupt", but the 'b' needs to be heard: "ab-rupt"

> at 4:23: (p. 16) "the mercenary creature" - you say "mer-ken-ary" - it's "mer-sen-ary"

> at 8:46: (p. 17) "in a middle-sized trunk" - you say "truck"

> at 11:37: (p. 18) "What is gone ?" - you say "Was it gone ?"

> at 11:47: (p. 18) "made a deprecatory gesture" - wrong stress: you say "de-pri-CATE-ry", but it's "DE-pri-cat-ery"

> at 12:42: (p. 18) "I've been groaning over that Mabel of hers" - you say "growing"

> at 15:35: (p. 19) "worsted" - this is one of the tricky English pronunciations, it should be "woo-stid", I think for proper British, you don't even need to hear the 'r'

> at 23:54: (p. 22) "necessary to resign" - wrong stress: you say "RE-sign", but here she means "re-SIGN", "to give up", you pronounce the 's' here softer, like the 'z' in "zoom" for example

> at 24:04: (p. 22) "rec'd Oct. 5" - this abbreviation means "received", not "recorded"

> at 24:10: (p. 22) "respectfully" - I think I hear "respectively"

> from 24:28 to 24:30: (p. 22) between "as I had left them" and "I dasn't go back" - the pause feels to long, could you cut it to under 1.5 seconds please ?

> at 25:46: (p. 22) "and that as she could not return it to him in good order" - you say "one"

thank you

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:09 amHere you go. I hope you enjoy it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_5_various_128kb.mp3 12:31
thank you Julie, looking forward to your story.

Meanwhile, since we are only waiting for one more section, here is the launch of the next issue: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=89187

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

awwww how romantic :9: I did enjoy it immensely. Such a necklace seems to be quite exquisite. But to throw it into the lake ! :shock: A bit less dramatic and final would have done just as well. :lol:

Totally PL ok and delightful narrated. Thank you once again Julie :)

Now waiting for our final section to come in...

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

I know! Two thousand in 1897! I'd hate to think what it would cost today, but it does sound almost pretty enough to find out. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:49 am I know! Two thousand in 1897! I'd hate to think what it would cost today, but it does sound almost pretty enough to find out. :)
yes shame on me but I was thinking about the money as well :lol:

Sonia
jenYL

Post by jenYL »

Hello,

So sorry it took so long. Section 1 recording has finally arrived: Running time 39:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_1_various_128kb.mp3

This was my first time recording for a piece this long, so any feedback is a huge welcome!

Have a lovely rest of the week :9:

Regards,
Jenna
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hi, Sonia!

Sorry for being late. Here you go https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_2_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you for everything.
Kitty wrote: September 13th, 2021, 1:09 pm hi Sarah and thank you so much for this lovely story. In the beginning I found Nannie a bit creepy but she really meant well I guess. So it was a positive story after all.

Sorry for the long delay in feedback. But I am slowly working through my PL-jobs and I decided to do it alphabetically, so yours was the first on the list. :)

You read it very expressively and I enjoyed it, even though I still feel a bit weak to listen to long stories, so I made pauses in between.

I did find a few pronunciation issues, and as I know you want to hear about them, I made a list, but for such a long story, you did really well. :thumbs:

> at 1:37: (p. 15) "and we had the rest of the family quarantined from him" - you say "quan-treened"; it should be "qua-ran-teened"

> at 3:49: (p. 16) "she would be abrupt" - I only hear "arupt", but the 'b' needs to be heard: "ab-rupt"

> at 4:23: (p. 16) "the mercenary creature" - you say "mer-ken-ary" - it's "mer-sen-ary"

> at 8:46: (p. 17) "in a middle-sized trunk" - you say "truck"

> at 11:37: (p. 18) "What is gone ?" - you say "Was it gone ?"

> at 11:47: (p. 18) "made a deprecatory gesture" - wrong stress: you say "de-pri-CATE-ry", but it's "DE-pri-cat-ery"

> at 12:42: (p. 18) "I've been groaning over that Mabel of hers" - you say "growing"

> at 15:35: (p. 19) "worsted" - this is one of the tricky English pronunciations, it should be "woo-stid", I think for proper British, you don't even need to hear the 'r'

> at 23:54: (p. 22) "necessary to resign" - wrong stress: you say "RE-sign", but here she means "re-SIGN", "to give up", you pronounce the 's' here softer, like the 'z' in "zoom" for example

> at 24:04: (p. 22) "rec'd Oct. 5" - this abbreviation means "received", not "recorded"

> at 24:10: (p. 22) "respectfully" - I think I hear "respectively"

> from 24:28 to 24:30: (p. 22) between "as I had left them" and "I dasn't go back" - the pause feels to long, could you cut it to under 1.5 seconds please ?

> at 25:46: (p. 22) "and that as she could not return it to him in good order" - you say "one"

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jenna and Sarah !!! Thank you so much. Wow, 3 sections in one day. So cool that you were able to do them now. I will PL them tomorrow morning and if all is well we can catalogue this project then :9:

But please stay tuned, both of you, in case there are edits to make. It would be cool if we could push this through still this week. So close now.

@Jenna: looking forward to hearing your story. And I will definitely give you some feedback :)

Thank you, see you tomorrow

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jenYL wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:58 amSo sorry it took so long. Section 1 recording has finally arrived: Running time 39:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_1_various_128kb.mp3
This was my first time recording for a piece this long, so any feedback is a huge welcome!
wow what an interesting plot ! I always love intrigues which involve mesmerising. :9: Professor Zeno was really evil ! This would have made a cool movie.

Nice narration, I really enjoyed listening to it all and you have a good voice for recording. :thumbs: Looking forward to hearing you in another project any time.

Now I still have a few small edits to request. The list may seem long but most of it is quickly corrected. Only seven parts of sentences need re-recording, the rest is only cuttings.

A few notes are about the lengthy silence you sometimes have between sentences. Anything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener to wait for the story to continue. I always recommend staying under 1.5, even between paragraphs that is enough silence. At least try to stay under 2 seconds. I pointed out those silences that really feel too long, which was mainly at the beginning of your narration, later on it's more fluent. You only have to correct those I mention below, the other silences are ok as they are.

I would recommend starting with the final PL note and working your way up to the first, that way the time stamps will stay the same for you and you won't have trouble finding the spots.

Please be aware that you need not re-record it all again, which is too much work for both you and me. Only re-record the snippets of sentences which have errors in them, and copy them in the right spot. :)

Here is what needs correcting:

> for the intro silence, we recommend about 0.5 to 1 second (maximum) you have over 3 seconds, which really feels long for a listener to wait for the recording to start. I would cut this down by 2 seconds

> from 0:28 to 0:30: between "read by Yaelin Lee" and "the black cat" - long silence

> from 2:45 to 2:48: (p. 2) between "under any emergency" and "who would think" - long silence

> from 3:00 to 3:02: (p. 2) between "ordinary difficulties" and "professor Zeno was said" - long silence

> at 4:15: (p. 2) stumble and repeat, can be cut once: "that inspired the ma-"

> from 4:46 to 4:48: (p. 2) between "the circle to appear" and "thus, when Elizabeth's soul" - long silence

> at 6:20: (p. 3) "and still scintillating" – you say "skin-tillating" (the 'c' should not be voiced --> sin-tillating) later on you say it correctly

> at 7:33: (p. 3) "which is to come off tomorrow night" – this part appears later but at this point it's not at all in the text - it should be cut out

> at 14:16: (p. 6) "she distinctly heard a low" – you say "he"

> at 16:30: (p. 6-7) after "surged through her brain", nine lines are missing: from "Nor did this feeling disappear..." till "he would play to her", and then it starts again with "a presto in F, by Moschelles"

> from 18:38 to 18:40: (p. 7) between "like a double star" and "very seldom is born" - long silence

> at 21:28: (p. 8) "her bared brown head" – you say "broad"

> at 22:16: (p. 9) "only the evening before, she had bade him Godspeed" – you say "her had bade him Godspent"

> at 37:46: (p. 14) "which signifies her lover's triumph" – you say "his"

> at 38:26: (p.14) the Swedish national hymn" – you say "haym" – it should be pronounced exactly like the pronoun "him"

I hope you can find the time to do the edits soon, since we are near completion :9: If anything is unclear or you need further help, please let me know immediately.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 8:24 amSorry for being late. Here you go https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_2_various_128kb.mp3
wow, perfect corrections Sarah, wouldn't hear a difference in sound anywhere. :thumbs: Now it is definitely PL ok.

Thank you so much for participating in the Black Cat. And I hope I'll you you again somewhere down the road (lots of magazines still in store :lol: )

Have a nice day !

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 12:45 am
wow, perfect corrections Sarah, wouldn't hear a difference in sound anywhere. :thumbs: Now it is definitely PL ok.

Thank you so much for participating in the Black Cat. And I hope I'll you you again somewhere down the road (lots of magazines still in store :lol: )

Have a nice day !

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia! I'm so happy to hear that. And thank you for having me.

Sure, I'm having my eyes on Volume 9, An Old Maid's Wedding Trip. I love the cover of Volume 9 and I've read the first 2 pages of An Old Maid's Wedding and it sounds interesting.

Have a nice day!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 1:18 am Sure, I'm having my eyes on Volume 9, An Old Maid's Wedding Trip. I love the cover of Volume 9 and I've read the first 2 pages of An Old Maid's Wedding and it sounds interesting.
ok we're only at Volume 7 so far, so this will take a bit of time to get there. You need to be quick ;)

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 1:20 am ok we're only at Volume 7 so far, so this will take a bit of time to get there. You need to be quick ;)

Sonia
Yeah, I know. I hope that I will be quick enough to record it.